Whats the oldest U.S. coin you have found in circulation ?

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will start off. My daughter held the title last year when she was given a 1946 Roosevelt Dime in change at an airport. A few months later, my wife was the leader with a 1940 Mercury dime she found in her change that came from one of the stores she was shopping at. Just this week, I was given a 1910 Wheat Penny in change. Hard to believe a 106 year old coin is still in circulation. If you cant post a picture, lets at least hear your story. Whats the oldest U.S. coin you have ever found in circulation ?

Attachments

• image2 (1).JPG
    image2 (1).JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 164

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Three years ago, a 1920 Buffalo, I posted it on here.

1920 Buffalo.jpg

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was a kid, I never once found an Indian head crhing pennies....but I did find an 1896 Barber dime!:headbang:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think 1893 Columbian Exposition half dollar.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1896... Im pretty sure that's the same date of an Indian head cent that my dad got in change from one of his stops driving the dairy truck... Maybe 1886...I'll edit this when I find out 100%

JJ1965

Jul 27, 2016
Blythewood, SC
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was in a Speedway gas station in Sumter South Carolina a few years back, waiting in line behind some old drunk trying to buy a single beer when you could get them for a dollar. The cashier refused to take his money because she did not think it was real. I got a look, and it was a nice 1880 "o" Morgan dollar. I bought the guy a six pack and he gave me the dollar.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_4781.JPG
Got this when I opened an account with TD Bank.
I needed a place where I could use their coinstar machines to deposit my clad finds. My very first deposit and the machine jams. A bank employee opens the machine, clears the turntable, and hands me an 1884 O Silver Dollar.

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can,t remember the details but if memory serves me oldest in circulation i found was 1876 IH but it was stolen by my step parents back in 1997 along with other coins of age .

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will start off. My daughter held the title last year when she was given a 1946 Roosevelt Dime in change at an airport. A few months later, my wife was the leader with a 1940 Mercury dime she found in her change that came from one of the stores she was shopping at. Just this week, I was given a 1910 Wheat Penny in change. Hard to believe a 106 year old coin is still in circulation. If you cant post a picture, lets at least hear your story. Whats the oldest U.S. coin you have ever found in circulation ?

Not hard to believe....some thief ripping off a coin collection and buying beer, cigs or dope. When I run into silver at the store, I go back in and ask the clerk if they would look through the till and see if there was more....usually is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions