Road Trip Recommendations (West Coast)

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
In early/mid september i'm going to be moving from AZ to WA, and i'm curious if anyone knows any places I should make sure to not miss along the way. (I've only been outside of AZ 3 times in 30 years, heh)

This is my route:

http://tinyurl.com/yp2mae

Detecting stops would be best, anything else neat would be fine too :) The trip will probably take me about 1-2 weeks in total.

Thanks.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're leaving us :(

What a fun road trip!! My only suggestion is to take the 10 through LA all the way to hwy 1, then take that North to San Fran, do some sight seeing, then jump over to the 5 and continue on :)

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
djui5 said:

Yeah, it's just too hot here, been trying to leave for 30 years.

djui5 said:
...all the way to hwy 1, then take that North to San Fran, do some sight seeing, then jump over to the 5 and continue on.

I'll be in a truck hauling a heavy trailer, so Hwy 1 seemed kinda rough. I was figuring I could take short trips off the main interstate instead.

S

stefen

Lasivian said:
djui5 said:

Yeah, it's just too hot here, been trying to leave for 30 years.

djui5 said:
...all the way to hwy 1, then take that North to San Fran, do some sight seeing, then jump over to the 5 and continue on.

I'll be in a truck hauling a heavy trailer, so Hwy 1 seemed kinda rough. I was figuring I could take short trips off the main interstate instead.

Highway 1 begins at San Luis Obispo (north of Santa Barbara) and is excellant for driving...becomes a little curvy as you near Carmel...Hearst Castle is within the 1st 40 miles which is an excellant stop for an hour or so...north of that exactly 3 miles is the Elephant Seal beach with thousands of seals year-round...you can get within 20 feet or so, but protected by fences and low bluff...thats a really informative stop and well worth the drive...the breeding bulls should be arriving about mid-September...You might experience seeing territorial fighting in person...you can get back to Highway 101 (Paso Robles) within another 25 miles and head north to San Francisco... or continue on Highway 1 which is one of the most beautiful coastal drives you will ever experience...better that Hawaii by far.

North of San Francisco, you can take Interstate 5 which eventually becomes Highway 1 as you near Humboldt County...a trip thru the Highway of Giants (Redwoods) is unbeleivable...along this 35 mile stretch you will encounter the tallest trees in the world and the highest vegetative and animal mass per acre that any rain forest or tropical jungle...a stop in victorian Ferndale (www.victorianferndale.org)
and 13 miles up the road is Eureka which is well worth the drive...Eureka Harbor restaurants have some of the finest seafood on the west coast...

Continue on up the coast and cross over to Highway 5 inland and drive thru Oregon...or if you stay on Highway 1 north of Eureka you can drive coastal Oregon thru Gold Beach and other scenic towns until you get to the Oregon / Washington border...then transition to H-5 and continue til you get to Seattle / Tacoma area...

Have a good trip.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monterey , Pacific Grove, & Carmel are a must. They are all very close to each other. Some of the nicest area you will ever see along the Pacific Ocean. And who knows? You may even run into Clint Eastwood while in Carmel. (He lives there)
Have a great trip.
-MM-

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As for hunt spots, it depends on what you're into. You know: deep turf? relicky/ruins type stuff? beach/water? sandbox/tot-lot type stuff? etc....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread