Stormcat

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2016
Indy
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter LRP Garrett Pinpointer Pro II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did everyone feel this way when you started.......Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and the hobby. After about a week of research on equipment [Bounty Hunter LR Pro not yet purchased} and laws as to where its legal to MD I have become frustrated to the fact here in central Indiana there is a very limited land you can legally MD. I really was looking forward to enjoying this awesome hobby and meet some new friends now that I'm retired., but the struggle is real. Every website I went to in my research was a dead end. Maybe I'm missing the obvious on where to MD if so please let me know....Anyway good to meet all of you on this forum.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dont get discouraged ,get some farmers to give you permission. you might have to wait on crop gathering. but theres alot of stuff in these old farm fields. as for parks and such just keep asking someones bound to let you.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Stormcat, and Welcome to T-Net! :occasion14:

First, stop stressing! There are PLENTY of legal places to detect near you. Second, Please look at Tesoro, Garrett, and Fisher machines before you buy that Bounty Hunter! A $160.00 8" Tesoro Compadre is a better machine.

If you are looking in local playgrounds or parks, you are looking in the same place as everybody else since 1980. You need to start trying to research places people gathered in the PAST (1870 - 1950). You need to start thinking outside the box, and be prepared to do a little work with your head, not just your machine. Good Luck!

A Few Sites to Get You Started:

1) Old Schools
2) City/Town Parks
3) Circus/Fair Sites
4) Old Churches
5) Old Homestead Sites
6) Swimming Holes and Areas
7) Picnic Groves
8) Athletic Fields
9) Scout Camps
10) Rodeo Arenas
11) Campgrounds
12) Ghost Towns
13) Beaches
14) Old Taverns
15) Roadside Rest Stops
16) Sidewalk Grassy Strips
17) Amusement Parks
18) Rural Mailboxes
19) Reunion Areas
20) Revival sites
21) Fort Sites
22) Winter Sledding Areas
23) Lookout/Overlook Sites
24) Church Supper Groves
25) Fishing Spots
26) Fishing Camps
27) Resorts
28) Old Barns and Outbuildings
29) Battle Sites
30) Band Shells
31) Racetracks
32) Rural Boundary Walls
33) Roadside Fruit and Vegetable Stands
34) Under Seaside Boardwalks
35) Flea Market Areas
36) Ski Slopes
37) Drive Ins
38) Canal Paths
39) Vacant Lots
40) Motels
41) College Campuses
42) Farmer Market Areas
43) Town Squares
44) Urban Yards and Backyards
45) Disaster Sites
46) Areas Around Skating Ponds
47) Hunting Lodges and Camps
48) Mining Camps
49) Railroad Grades, Stations and Junctions
50) Hiking Trails
51) Waterfalls
52) Rural Dance Sites
53) Lover's Lanes
54) Areas Adjacent to Historical Markers
55) Old Gas Stations and General Stores
56) Fence Posts
57) Chicken Houses
58) Bridges and Fords
59) Flower Beds
60) Playgrounds
61) Old Garbage Dumps
62) Cloth Lines
63) Military Camp and Cantonment Sites
64) Wells and Outhouses
65) Abandoned Houses and Structures
66) Areas where Old Trails Cross County or State Boundaries
67) Piles of Scraped Soil at Construction Sites
68) Old Stone Quarries
69) Areas Around Old Abandoned Cemeteries in the Forest
70) Junctions of Abandoned Roads (crossroads)

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good advice. Anything worth doing takes time and it can seem overwhelming. If it was easy, everyone would do it. You have taken the best step for a newbie by joining this site. Hang in there and learn all you can from the great experience that is here. You'll be posting great finds soon and we look forward to seeing.

HH RN

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also start in your own backyard and see what you can find you might be surprised.

OP
OP
Stormcat

Stormcat

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2016
Indy
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter LRP Garrett Pinpointer Pro II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far with the words of encouragement and advice.Those are great place I hadn't thought of. It's great to have you seasoned veterans around. Thanks again ... I'm sure i will have more question.Thanks again

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I have become frustrated to the fact here in central Indiana there is a very limited land you can legally MD. ....

Curious: Can you tell us what it is you read (do you have links ?) that causes you to believe you have "very limited land" that you can hunt on @ public land ? I bet that Indiana md'rs find public land all the time to hunt on. So what, in particular, causes you to believe that you are "very limited" ? Show us what written sources you have, that caused you to think this.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome Stormcat!

Perhaps today's most controversial, active, and famous member of TreasureNet is Jeff Gordon, and he's from around the Indy area.

It has taken us till this year for him to openly confess to swinging a detector in Indiana.

This weekend he's heading for Myrtle Beach, and we're hoping he'll hit GOLD there.

Stormcat, a lot of us are shy about going out swinging in public. It took friends I made here to get me out of my "security zone" :)

Keep the faith!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll add another suggestion after reading through Terry's lengthy list of suggestions!

Poker game sites. I know a place along the river near 3 old cotton mills. They will have never been searched before, and we await Winter. We've interviewed witnesses of age - these were active up till the late 60's, from many years before.

Use your noggin and think outside the box :)

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Here's a tip you won't get anywhere else. Disguise your new tector to look like a tennis racket.
Go to the nearest public park with tennis courts. Take along a dozen tennis balls. Hang around
the court tecting till someone looks at you fishy. Then take a ball and lob it over the net. If
they don't move on keep lobbing until they leave. Go back to tecting as sport sites are one
of the best places to recover valuables.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a tip you won't get anywhere else. Disguise your new tector to look like a tennis racket.
Go to the nearest public park with tennis courts. Take along a dozen tennis balls. Hang around
the court tecting till someone looks at you fishy. Then take a ball and lob it over the net. If
they don't move on keep lobbing until they leave. Go back to tecting as sport sites are one
of the best places to recover valuables.

You "are" joking.....right?!?!? Try to disguise a MD as a tennis racket?? I think I'd rather work a coil into a shoe and have the electronics in a backpack, while walking around like a zombie wearing headphones! :laughing7:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I'm pretty sure that shoe coil wouldn't work atall. Unless you got really big shoes. Another old trick
is to pretend to be a butterfly collector and walk around with a fishing net swatting the air like you're
catching butterflies but really one end of the net is your tector with a sniper coil. Rings and bracelets
aren't going to be very deep. You make out like you're sorting out your butterflies while you are
tecting around the edges of the court. Pretty clever Huh?

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done very well on #22 on Terry Solomons' list, sledding hills. Not only are there coins literally everywhere, mostly quarters, but there is also a good amount of gold and silver rings, earrings, chains, etc. Just my 2 cents.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet Stormcat! Terry gave you an awesome list. I would agree start in your own backyard and I'll bet you will be amazed what you'll find.
Best of luck out there!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Carry cards with you for notes and start writing down possible sites you have been traveling past regularly.. Then work on finding out who owns them. Then permissions if private.
The amount of time that can be spent on a site reduces the concern of few sites.
Let people you know know you detect too.
Keep adding to your note cards of leads and adding to them.
Sites await.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is so much easier today than it was back in the 70's, & 80's, when a lot of us first started. If you PM me your city, town, and county, I'll try to sniff out a few locations. Welcome to Tnet.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
41) College Campuses......

I have been wondering about this one. We have a local University here and they always have construction projects going on (currently putting an addition on the oldest building on the campus). I would love to hit that dirt but they contain the construction site(s) with chain-link fencing when the work stops for the day. Lots of other ground on the campus but it seems like colleges these days have lots of security and are also pretty up-tight about the appearance of the grounds.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T Net!
Its not as hard as it seems. Once you start finding places you can detect, you'll have the opposite problem of so many places, not enough time.

Kuntzy

Jul 24, 2015
North Vernon IN
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
since your in Indy. try the swimming holes at lake Monroe. Me and some friends do really well there. Simply hit the swimming holes just before dark when everyone packs up to leave. Hit every known public swimming area you can, most are sand and very easy to detect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread