question

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... The trust issue is, if I asked for help, and my friend let it slip out to his wife or brother, and they told 25 people, then you become a target for some drunken junkie that don't work and has nothing better to do then to try and rob you.

I got news for you: It's not hard to find "people with wealth" (yup, even 25 of them). And they walk down the street JUST like you and I. They detect JUST LIKE YOU AND I. If anyone is *that* hell-bent on robbing and killing someone "just because it can be discerned that they have wealth", then we'd be seeing a lot more robbing and killing going on.

There are not only "bad" people in the world (that, sure, don't be reckless and stupid), but there are also good people out there too. And those are the guys I hunt with. I would never think for a minute "gee I hope I don't find something good on this trip, lest he rob and kill me". If the day came that I suspected their character like that, is the day I wouldn't be hunting with that person.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KCM, got your pm. Replied accordingly. Thanx.

Seriously now, because it's a fact that people have been evil, stolen, etc... in the past, and that we have "safes" "alarms", "doors", etc.... , ergo means that: "No one in the world can be trusted" ?

No one's saying "throw caution to the wind and have complete strangers you met in a seedy bar helping you dig 1000 gold coins. But on the contrary, to go from that, to saying: "Therefore you should never have any friends. Afterall, "they might steal from you", is going to the paranoid extreme.

I have friends that I can trust with the keys to my house. I've hunted with friends who watched me find good things, or I watched them find good things. And lo & behold, we didn't kill or rob each other. A buddy of mine pulled up a $3k rare CC quarter. I didn't kill or rob him. But wait, lemme guess, if it had been a $6k or $60k coin, we would most certainly have killed and/or robbed each other, right ?

I see your point! But you are very lucky to have those type of people! That is rare! And no, if that's the way you took my post? That makes sense to me of what your saying then......
""Therefore you should never have any friends. Afterall, "they might steal from you", is going to the paranoid extreme. "
Isn't what I meant by my post.......Before I moved I had 100's of "friends" but only 1 or 2 I could trust 100% with anything. In my mind you would have to choose the "friend" for the job carefully.....Is what I was getting at....I've had partys of whatever people in my house, but wouldn't give them all the safe combo and walk away!!! I think you know what I mean anyhow! :laughing7: If you've employed people it's the same thing...Some can be trusted 100% with anything. Others? not so much! But are great people to hang out with or go detecting with! There is an amount, where a lot of people will start thinking! They talk, and if they or someone they talk to wants to act? They will be in your house when your not there or plotting! Not all!! But the threat is very real....And very few people, can keep quiet about things! People love to talk! Usually! At least in my experiences this is true!

I have a funny thing that goes along with this.....I lived in a dump of a house, a couple of years there, I made A LOT of money compared to neighborhood. The house was a dump, vehicles not the greatest, I wore ripped up clothes. Had 3 safes in the house.Because of the type of business we were doing. When you looked in the front windows all you saw was a run down living room.No one knew what we did from the neighborhood. Even people from the neighborhood would come in and "look" around. Have to use the bathroom, even though their house was just as close...I had one tell me what a piece of crap I was and I probably don't work, dump house,etc....... I had to laugh at the time i could have bought and sold his house a bunch of times with what was in one safe....But!!! Our change in our cars was stolen every week! We didn't even lock doors on cars so they wouldn't break windows...If ANY!!! of those people would have known what was actually in that dump of a house? It would have been gone!! NO DOUBT IN MY MIND!!! My garage was broken into many times for some junk tools! Batteries taken out of cars etc...

I don't have anything of value to worry about now, but kind of gives a little bit of my point...You have to watch sometimes! Family,friends, neighbors, who they talk to, etc...

Now we did lose some stuff out of the house! But I believe it was either family, or "friend" at the time...

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a few folks I could take along to help and I wouldn't worry about them robbing or killing me. My biggest concern would be could they keep their mouths shut, so pretty much out of the question askin them along. If I did all the research and field work and found such a thing on my own, I would try to recover it on my own. Because if you bring somebody in, there might arise an argument about what their 'share' should be, when their 'share' should only rightfully be whatever common laborers get paid in that area.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I know a few folks I could take along to help and I wouldn't worry about them robbing or killing me. My biggest concern would be could they keep their mouths shut, so pretty much out of the question askin them along. If I did all the research and field work and found such a thing on my own, I would try to recover it on my own. Because if you bring somebody in, there might arise an argument about what their 'share' should be, when their 'share' should only rightfully be whatever common laborers get paid in that area.

Which is why I said that should all be hashed out ahead of time...BEFORE any details are shared. ...And if at all possible.

OP
OP
T

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good replies here, yes I've done all of the research and field work. Thing I worry about most is someone following me. People are shady characters

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of good replies here, yes I've done all of the research and field work. Thing I worry about most is someone following me. People are shady characters
Ah, REAL simple answer here!! Hire me. For just a "small" fee (no more than 4 digits...honest!), I'll go to your site while you hang back and distract anyone following you. Then when you finally do get back to the spot, you'll be AMAZED at how nice and neat I leave it for you! :evil6:

OP
OP
T

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, nope ill do this by myself...but thanks for the offer!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Lost or HUH smiley (small).png Perplexed.gif

Well, back to the day job!!
Pirate.gif

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Thanks for all of the replies. Yes it is a massive treasure and I have verified its existence. I will probably just go by myself. There's nothing wrong with being to careful in such scenarios.

Question: what qualifies your "massive treasure " , as having been "verified " ? Reading a treasure story and solving and acrostic clue puzzle? Just wondering how you're certain.

And did you mean just "verified" its existence, or actually verified the location as well.

OP
OP
T

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question: what qualifies your "massive treasure " , as having been "verified " ? Reading a treasure story and solving and acrostic clue puzzle? Just wondering how you're certain.

And did you mean just "verified" its existence, or actually verified the location as well.

all I will say is that I have found this cave in Colorado. I am not publicly discussing the contents in the cave. I went last weekend and while hiking into a canyon that is when I stumbled across it. I wouldn't say it was lucky on my part, more of the research that I have done that led me to finding it!

OP
OP
T

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd bring 2 friends only.....Smith and Wesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do carry a gun, however its not Smith and Wesson. its enough just in case someone wants to test a theory out

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Absolutely... That would be my concern also if they happened to be with me and a large find was found. Can you even imagine the scenario which pursues if a couple of old bags of gold coins were found and two of you "knew it"? Especially if it wasn't on your property but deep in the woods with no structures within 3/4 miles.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely... That would be my concern also if they happened to be with me and a large find was found. Can you even imagine the scenario which pursues if a couple of old bags of gold coins were found and two of you "knew it"? Especially if it wasn't on your property but deep in the woods with no structures within 3/4 miles.

That would be a fun problem to have though.........:laughing7:

YA, I could just imagine some of my old friends in a case like that!!! It wouldn't make it one night, and they would have been in the bar telling everyone...But not just tell it...Tell everyone where, how many, who has them now...etc........Usually to brag to the girls, but everyone else is hearing it too, three blocks away!!

Then even add too the truth!:laughing7: Then one of the "self appointed" "BAR Attorney's" would have them talked into they got cheated! They need to take charge and do something, "since it's only right".......The land lord, irs,half the town would be involved before it was all over............"Sry dude, I was drunk...man...and wasn't thinking, it will be ok, we will find more....OK? dude?"

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be more concerned about "Uncle Sugar" finding out about it! That will be real challenge. How do you "cash in" your treasure without drawing attention to yourself??

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that's what I carry as well:D

Great minds think alike. Lol I bring mine because all the oldest neighborhoods in New Orleans are very dangerous. Especially if you're Caucasian. 2 thuggish looking teens asked me what I was doing in their park. I told them I worked for the city and we where measuring for a inground public pool :))))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be more concerned about "Uncle Sugar" finding out about it! That will be real challenge. How do you "cash in" your treasure without drawing attention to yourself??

very slow and deliberate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread