question

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter 2004, I was trying not to be nosy, I was wondering if your cache was in a rough area of Baltimore or Detroit, which could put a death's bulls eye on you, by robbery or a stray bullet from a drive by shooting. But since you revealed it is in a cave, I would think you would have made the trips needed to empty it out, unless it needs mined. If I ever found a gold or silver mine I would be screwed, I have no clue how to mine, lol.

Tom, I have people in my family I do not trust, like my drunken crack head sister and her two twenty something crack baby kids, { my niece and nephew }. I was trying to say, you can tell a trusted person something, but if they slip and tell one person, news travels fast.

OP
OP
T

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter 2004, I was trying not to be nosy, I was wondering if your cache was in a rough area of Baltimore or Detroit, which could put a death's bulls eye on you, by robbery or a stray bullet from a drive by shooting. But since you revealed it is in a cave, I would think you would have made the trips needed to empty it out, unless it needs mined. If I ever found a gold or silver mine I would be screwed, I have no clue how to mine, lol.

Tom, I have people in my family I do not trust, like my drunken crack head sister and her two twenty something crack baby kids, { my niece and nephew }. I was trying to say, you can tell a trusted person something, but if they slip and tell one person, news travels fast.

This is in Colorado lol. I just found it last weekend, so it's a work in progress

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
If you had been researching a treasure legend and spent so much time and effort in trying to find this would you take someone with you to recover it and risk being robbed/killed, or would you rather go and do it yourself? Welcome all opinions here!

Thanks

Watch 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre' or better yet read the book by B. Traven.

Instead of thanking me for the recommendation (after getting rich slow & alone on your find) you can buy me a cold one.
HH
-spyguy

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be more concerned about "Uncle Sugar" finding out about it! That will be real challenge. How do you "cash in" your treasure without drawing attention to yourself??

Just like YOU said... very slow and deliberate...! You just have to get "smarter" then the problem... It can be done.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
This is in Colorado lol. I just found it last weekend, so it's a work in progress

Dude, there's lots of "caves in Colorado ". What did you see in this one that makes you think there's a treasure there? Funny symbols on the walls? Local urban legend saying there's a treasure buried in there? Or did you actually see something?

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original post brings up a good separate question. What if you did get robbed of a Treasure or Cache that you just found ? What could you do about it. The police would think you were telling a lie. Your home owners insurance would not believe the story if it was stolen out of your home, without a receipt of purchase, you could not prove it even existed.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
The original post brings up a good separate question.... .

The original post brings up a separate question: how is this anything more than fanciful dreaming, and no treasure has been found?

I am always amazed at the amounts of posts of treasures that people say they've "found". Yet upon further scrutiny, it's only been following some sort of urban ghost story clues or saw funny symbols on rocks, or had their divining rods point a certain direction etc.... yet in their mind's eyes, they've always "found a treasure". All they need is investors, or a backhoe, or government permission to dig, or how do I get a detector to go 6 meters deep, etc ...

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With modern day technology available a lone person can do what would take a crew in years past. It's a 'risk/reward' equation. Is there enough to share? As soon as you involve another party in the recovery anonymity is lost. Particularly when that party has not vested the time, money and sweat in the venture but is brought in at the end. They have nothing invested don't expect integrity.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said S&W because it sounds good with the joke. I carry a XDS .45 :))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing I carry most times, occasionally I carry my Judge loaded with alternating Critical defense rounds then .45s, sometimes I carry both just for grins...... The Critical Defense rounds are the Hornady Triple Defense rounds with 2 35 cal round balls and one slug....

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, there's lots of "caves in Colorado ". What did you see in this one that makes you think there's a treasure there? Funny symbols on the walls? Local urban legend saying there's a treasure buried in there? Or did you actually see something?

First off I don't need to prove anything to you or anyone else in this forum. Once again another discrediting what I have found, I could easily post a pic and prove such claims but that would be foolish of me. I really could care less if you don't believe me. To each their own. I know what my eyes saw, you can have your opinion and that's fine. I'm guessing you haven't found anything substantial. Is your goal to bird dog someone on a public forum? How about micro manage? I feel sorry for you, I won't waste anymore time with you, just another negative individual who has nothing intelligent to say

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... I could easily post a pic and prove such claims but that would be foolish of me.....

What would be "foolish" about it? If you could "easily post a pix", then how does a pix of a treasure chest , or gold bar, reveal where it's located ?

Go back through the "I found a treasure" posts on T'net, and you'll see what I'm saying: Page after page, thread after thread. Persons who "found" a treasure. But upon further scrutiny, they only have a story their chasing, and have it narrowed down to a single square mile, or a certain cave, or at the bottom of a certain lake. In their mind's eyes, they've already "found" it. The dead giveaways are that they're usually "6 to 9 meters deep", and are busy at work trying to figure out how to secret it out of the country , how to assemble a crew of helpers, how to blast through solid rock, etc.... Mexico or the phillipines usually, but sure, sometimes other countries.

So please understand and don't fault those for having doubts about this song & dance "found" versus "researching" distinction. Or "saw a symbol on a rock", or "found a treasure map that I just have to follow", etc....

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I tire of these types of posts. But not because of the OP's - but rather the people replying to them. If someone (ANYone!) finds something that they believe to be truly valuable, then they can and "should" share whatever information they need to in order to help them confirm their find. And we, as people who are "supposed" to be helping, are supposed to do just that. It's not the place of the OP to "prove" their find, unless they have actually found it, sorted through it, processed it, documented it, and finally, valued it. ...Only thing is, by that time, nobody can tell the person that their find isn't anything after all, as they'd be holding it in their greedy little hands.

I think too often the needs of other Tnet sections bleed over into posts such as this. I exchanged a few PM's with the OPer early into the thread and, while I still do not have a clue as to what, if anything, they have found, I don't need or have any right to know.

Going back to the OP, they never asked for help in IDing their find, potential or not. They asked if any of us would be willing to risk including someone else in the retrieval process and about any fears or concerns associated with that (paraphrased). I think we've gotten way far off track here, and "WE" need to back off and let this person have a chance to verify and retrieve their find. I also mentioned to the OPer that until this happens, they should not get their hopes up, as MOST such claims brought here to Tnet are false....at least, to the best of our knowledge. We never hear from most of those folks again. ...Why is that? Is it because they find that their treasure really isn't? Maybe. Or, it may be that they were turned off by the somewhat hostile attitudes of members here.

So please, let's slow down and give the guy a break. Give him a chance to determine just what he has found. If it's something good, HOPEFULLY he'll come back and share his find with us...at least enough to let us know he did actually find "something". I've assured him (in PM's) that there is a strong likelihood that what he has found isn't what he thinks it is. ....But I'm not there! If there ends up being no treasure there, then hopefully he'll still come back to Tnet as an active member. Then maybe he'll have the chance to find out just how awesome the majority of the folks are here.

In closing, I am NOT singling anyone out here. Just speaking in general, as the atmosphere of this thread has become.....well, let me put it this way....it sure as heck isn't inviting continued participation from the OP.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What would be "foolish" about it? If you could "easily post a pix", then how does a pix of a treasure chest , or gold bar, reveal where it's located ?

Go back through the "I found a treasure" posts on T'net, and you'll see what I'm saying: Page after page, thread after thread. Persons who "found" a treasure. But upon further scrutiny, they only have a story their chasing, and have it narrowed down to a single square mile, or a certain cave, or at the bottom of a certain lake. In their mind's eyes, they've already "found" it. The dead giveaways are that they're usually "6 to 9 meters deep", and are busy at work trying to figure out how to secret it out of the country , how to assemble a crew of helpers, how to blast through solid rock, etc.... Mexico or the phillipines usually, but sure, sometimes other countries.

So please understand and don't fault those for having doubts about this song & dance "found" versus "researching" distinction. Or "saw a symbol on a rock", or "found a treasure map that I just have to follow", etc....

Don't be a Debbie Downer.....it's a bad characteristic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread