Traveling with a Metal Detector
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Treasure_Hunter
  • 1 Post By Oddjob

Thread: Traveling with a Metal Detector

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2016
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Traveling with a Metal Detector

If someone is traveling with a metal detector, how would they go about buying insurance to cover it just in case it is stolen, damaged, or confiscated?

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29986 times
    Do you mean traveling in a car , plane or what. Home owners covers mine after the $250 deductible.

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016
    Oddjob likes this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Apr 2016
    Rochester ny
    Ace 350, pro pointer ll
    94 times
    I'm assuming your meaning flying or something like that. There are several types of hard cases out there. I'd start with that.

us
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    Do you mean traveling in a car , plane or what. Home owners covers mine after the $250 deductible.

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Most likely a round-trip by plane.

Maybe by one-way cruise ship and return by plane.

Would a US Home Owner's Insurance policy really cover a lost, stolen, or confiscated metal detector if it happened in a foreign country?

I will try metal detecting in America, but I really want to detect in Italy, Greece, and Bulgaria because there is a massive amount of treasure caches in those areas. I looked at the ancient coins on APMEX and finding even one treasure cache would allow me to be all set for life.
    Last edited by Celestial; Aug 24, 2016 at 07:16 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    23061 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    If it is "Confiscated" it is NOT covered. You need to buy "Personal Belonging's Coverage" if you don't already have it in your home owners policy (and you probably don't!). Call your insurance agent. Shouldn't that really have been your FIRST move?

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    My Head
    1789 times
    You need to spell out exactly what you want to an agent or you probably won't get what you want.
    My truck was broken into and my testing instruments were taken. $3000 worth. My insurance paid
    a dime on a dollar. I got $300. Not enough to replace much of anything.
    Chop wood..Carry water

Aug 2012
    RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
    8960 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    If someone is traveling with a metal detector, how would they go about buying insurance to cover it just in case it is stolen, damaged, or confiscated?
    If you are in Europe then just contact ADAC, it is much like the us AAA for vehicles but they offer a great deal more.

A friend of mine went from Germany to New York, customs in New York dropped her MD on the floor in front of her when they pulled her to the side to search her (it was in a Pelicase). She said that the machine housing and screen was cracked. Sent pictures into ADAC while she was still in New York and had her money within a week.

She did not get to hunt in New York but she was headed down to Florida to see the Disney Land of EU MD's. Kellyco, she just got a better machine there because Kellyco has like the best deals.

I used ADAC for a Yak replacement about 6 years ago. I took a trip up to Norway for the best Fall Yaking you will find. I shattered my Yak and lost lots of gear. ADAC replaced that Yak.

The thing I have seen with ADAC is that sometimes they replace the item or give you money. My insurance company is the same way.
    Terry Soloman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.B. View Post
    I'm not an Idiot Whisperer. I can't help you any further with the math.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links