Traveling with a Metal Detector

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you mean traveling in a car , plane or what. Home owners covers mine after the $250 deductible.

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Dinkleman

Apr 12, 2016
Rochester ny
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, pro pointer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm assuming your meaning flying or something like that. There are several types of hard cases out there. I'd start with that.

OP
OP
C

Celestial

Aug 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you mean traveling in a car , plane or what. Home owners covers mine after the $250 deductible.

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Most likely a round-trip by plane.

Maybe by one-way cruise ship and return by plane.

Would a US Home Owner's Insurance policy really cover a lost, stolen, or confiscated metal detector if it happened in a foreign country?

I will try metal detecting in America, but I really want to detect in Italy, Greece, and Bulgaria because there is a massive amount of treasure caches in those areas. I looked at the ancient coins on APMEX and finding even one treasure cache would allow me to be all set for life.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is "Confiscated" it is NOT covered. You need to buy "Personal Belonging's Coverage" if you don't already have it in your home owners policy (and you probably don't!). Call your insurance agent. Shouldn't that really have been your FIRST move? :hello:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
You need to spell out exactly what you want to an agent or you probably won't get what you want.
My truck was broken into and my testing instruments were taken. $3000 worth. My insurance paid
a dime on a dollar. I got $300. Not enough to replace much of anything.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
If someone is traveling with a metal detector, how would they go about buying insurance to cover it just in case it is stolen, damaged, or confiscated?

If you are in Europe then just contact ADAC, it is much like the us AAA for vehicles but they offer a great deal more.

A friend of mine went from Germany to New York, customs in New York dropped her MD on the floor in front of her when they pulled her to the side to search her (it was in a Pelicase). She said that the machine housing and screen was cracked. Sent pictures into ADAC while she was still in New York and had her money within a week.

She did not get to hunt in New York but she was headed down to Florida to see the Disney Land of EU MD's. Kellyco, she just got a better machine there because Kellyco has like the best deals.

I used ADAC for a Yak replacement about 6 years ago. I took a trip up to Norway for the best Fall Yaking you will find. I shattered my Yak and lost lots of gear. ADAC replaced that Yak.

The thing I have seen with ADAC is that sometimes they replace the item or give you money. My insurance company is the same way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread