Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the time has come to remove our trees near the cabin - I'm going to miss them.

Windstorms this winter sent down some major widow maker branches, and 20' of a top just grazed the gutter.

With the neighbor being a retired forester agreeing they are getting dangerous, we have his logger friend coming next week to take them down and to a mill. 50/50 split.

But they want me to scan the trees to check for nails and such - the ones at the rear were part of a fence line that might have wire grown in.

Armed with a Garrett carrot, spray can to mark targets and a at pro, ready to beep these.

Anyone do tree scans in the past? How deep in wood will equipment search?

tree1.JPG
tree3.jpg
tree4.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just like dirt! We checked a bunch of trees for a logging company in upstate New York, after some mean greenies came through and punched nails into a lot of trees there. Pinpointer is fine, but a big coil is quicker! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Molewacker

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like dirt! We checked a bunch of trees for a logging company in upstate New York, after some mean greenies came through and punched nails into a lot of trees there. Pinpointer is fine, but a big coil is quicker! :occasion14:

Thanks Terry for the comeback! Nice to hear someone has done this before - I know the mill has metal scanners before they are run thru the saw, but don't want the guys dropping the trees to bust a chain. I just have the standard coil on the at pro, hope it's enough.

Everyone is invited to the marshmallow roast next year when we light the slash pile! :laughing7:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have used my dfx and the at pro to find old fence lines---no problems---works fine :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread