f75 or at pro?

bumper1990

Jun 16, 2013
shamokin,pa
Detector(s) used
fisher f-2
Ok guys i have been detecting for 6 years now. I have been using a fisher f2 and i love it easy to use decent depth very accurate found alot of coins with it. With that being said its time to upgrade i would like to get something for coin shooting mainly thats what i enjoy the most. I have it narrowed down to the f70, f75, f5, and at pro mainly because i am biased towards fisher new or used i dont care but who has experience running these? witch is my best coin shooter? witch one am i not going to find myself wanting to upgrade in a few years with? any and all help would be great! Thanks guys!

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I say get the AT, I'm biased towards that one but it's a great machine and it's waterproof which I find a huge asset. A colleague of a friend has an F75 and it's a great machine, too.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I swing the F75 LTD SE. So I am also biased. I have never swung a garrett, I like the sounds of the Fisher series over the Garrett (I know kind of petty). Many people are successful with using both the AT Pro and Fisher F series. I am a coin shooter at heart and upgraded from an F4 so I was already used to the tones. Most of my good finds could have been found by any descent detector since they were dug at 5 to 7 inches deep. The F75 had detected IHCs and larher coin at 9.5 to 10.5 inches. To know for sure which one you'd like, it is best to hold them, swing them, see how they feel and compare their options. The newer F75s have the DST upgrade and are quieter than the older version. The AT Pro is waterproof, if you drop it in the stream, chances are it's coming back out working. You drop a Fisher F75 in the water, your sending back to the factory for repair. You'll be happy with either. GL & HH

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
If you are going to be in the water a lot ya gotta go with the Pro, otherwise any top end Fisher is jaw dropping.
I used among others an F2 for 3 seasons, learned exactly what it was capable of doing at a very deep level and did way more than well, my $200 investment found me 10X's that in coins, silver and gold.
I always wondered if I could do so good with that thing and find so much what could I do with an upper end Fisher with more power, settings and abilities.
All three of the same Fisher detectors were in the running, I learned the Fisher language well and I hoped it would transfer over, (and it did), I was aiming for the Flagship model but a brand new F70 came my way at a fire sale price so that was that.
Had it 3 years now, my jaw has not stopped dropping,my bucket list items have never been checked off so quickly, the things I have seen it do in extreme iron and trash and in both great and horrible soil in two states are almost unbelievable but they happened...I have a full treasure box to prove it including some great coins from really difficult sites.
I found tiny silver jewelry fairly deep on the first time out with mine and I didn't know what I was doing at the time , found a beautiful large gold ring in heavy trash my third time out.
The thing paid for itself easily within the first 3 months I had it at my discounted price, if I would have paid full retail it would have taken me about 6.
I have 3 coils for it now, the standard concentric and the big and small DD's...each one is a dream, has its own superpowers and has found its weight in quality treasure and more.
The funny thing is I think I have barely scratched the surface of what I think it can actually do.
Even though the bulk of my older targets usually hover around the 4-7" area I have gone way deeper at times, these things just live at a deeper level than entry units.
For the last year I have been hunting in some of the most horrible, mineralized, trash an iron infested dirt in the country in sites that have been scoured for decades and declared by most hunted out.
The F70 and some special learned settings have unlocked deeper treasure rich levels for me that most never suspected existed....areas where I did well with my F2 and other detectors but nothing close to what I am able to do now.

The F5 has knobs and in the right hands top notch abilities and ask guru Mike Hillis about that, the F70 is a rat-rod version of the Flagship F75 but does everything I have ever asked of it and way more despite not having a few features I don't really miss for my hunting needs and the F75 has way more settings and programs than most would ever need.
Tom Dankowski's has stated that the three detectors built on this one core platform, the T2, F70 and F75, are among the deepest units on the planet.
The top line F75 models with boost and all are well worth it but the anniversary classic version you can get for about $500 is one of the best values on the market right now.
No boost but no big deal...in good soil the deepest target I ever dug was at a measured 15" and I was not using any boost, just higher sense and thresh settings and with the new DST shielding those higher settings should be easy to take advantage of in most situations.

The best thing I ever did in this hobby for myself is upgrade from the F2 into the higher level F70.
I get bored easily but that line has never been crossed in the three years I have been using mine and I don't even see it on the horizon.
That is a big deal for me the big tweaker and experimenter that I am, even though I have learned much, accomplished much I suspect the best is still ahead of me.
Still learning, still being shocked and amazed, still having the best time ever.

Year one with this thing...a learning year.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/2...4-2014-finds-learning-year-but-great-one.html

Year two...the hits just keep on coming...
2015 wrap up...another great year! - Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

This year, despite a much lower volume of time spent at multiple sites and hunting mostly just a few close neighborhood parks and a couple of private lawns my silver coin count is higher than ever before and quality finds just keep on popping up.

I also use Tesoros and love when I do but can you tell I am also a big time Fisher guy?
There are tons of reasons for that, upgrade and you will find out why for yourself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bumper1990

Jun 16, 2013
shamokin,pa
Detector(s) used
fisher f-2
Thanks guys all very helpful!! I personally never detect water just because of my location all that are around are small farmer streams. My buddy has the at pro and he loves it but like I said I am very biased towards fisher mainly because that's what I am used to I think. Is there any brands besides fisher or Garret you guys would recommend this will probably be my last upgrade for a long time so I want to make sure I do it right

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks guys all very helpful!! I personally never detect water just because of my location all that are around are small farmer streams. My buddy has the at pro and he loves it but like I said I am very biased towards fisher mainly because that's what I am used to I think. Is there any brands besides fisher or Garret you guys would recommend this will probably be my last upgrade for a long time so I want to make sure I do it right

Nokta Fors Relic has a good reputation but I have no experience with it. People also seem to love Tesoro, they offer a lifetime warranty if I understood correctly.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011

Most brands have their good and bad points but some might be a bit easier to use depending on site difficulty and conditions.
For good soil in normal conditions I think they all would work pretty well if you learn them.
I hunt in soil that is red clay filled but even the more rare black stuff has lots of small iron mixed in because of the history and geography of my location plus most sites are also loaded with all kinds of iron from tiny nails on up to huge pieces.
Supposedly some of the newer foreign jobs are designed for this situation with heavy iron so if I was picking now I might consider the Deus, (kind of expensive for me), or the Racer 2 but I have that F70, love it, it worked so well in normal mid western dream soil that when I moved to the SE and all these problems I vowed to learn to use what I already had to try to unlock this puzzle and get deeper with decent ID's to areas that most others could not with many brands and units.
It took months of experimentation but eventually I believe I did just that and seem to be finding heavily masked targets at deeper levels than most others around here that I have ever hunted with or talked to.
This is all thanks to the almost unlimited settings possible I have available and some out-of-the-box thinking on some of those settings and learning a new language and set of behavior patterns on the deep stuff.
I always believed ya gotta go with what tools you have on hand and just learn them well and then go past that if you can...learning should never end in this hobby.
I once thought only a PI unit could conquer this devil dirt, now I know that is not the case and I am completely satisfied with what I have been able to do and find with my Fishers.
Shocked, actually.
A few hunting buddies have been surprised too on what I found and how deep I found them when they looked at some holes I dug.

I don't think this is a fluke or a miracle, most detectors can do more than most think they can, most have an obvious language and a more hidden language you can learn if you put in the effort and I have tried to do that with any detectors I stand behind.

I just love Fishers and especially the higher end units, they have a language I learned to understand well, behavior at a deep level that helps me out tremendously and more than enough features and abilities to accomplish everything I have attempted to do and then much more.
Could I do as well with other brands and units with some quality learning time...maybe, probably, but I figure I have such great fun with my chosen brands and find so much and seem to go beyond and do a few things that aren't really supposed to be possible why switch?
You go with what works for you and my choices have for me.

Many switch brands and love them and go on to greater success, others switch and discover they aren't really all that happy with that choice and wish they didn't, the classifieds are loaded with almost new machines for sale that didn't live up to some expectations.
There is really no way to tell 100% until you try but for me, as I said, I stuck with what I know works well for me and so far have never been disappointed.

Good luck with your decision.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned and used both with great success. It is all about personal preference. The F75 is a great, powerful machine, but looses depth in hot soils quickly. The Garrett feels much more solidly built but you pay for it in a heavier feeling machine. You will want the 5x8 coil for the AT pro....no question about it! It makes the machine swing much better and seperates great for coin hunting. I feel the ID is a little more stable and solid on the Garrett. F75 has several more options than the Garrett including a backlight, trigger switch and selectable tones.
Like I have said before, its all about personal preference.....I would suggest using both if you can locate one of each to test drive. For what it is worth, I kept the AT pro and sold the F75. But I prefer the AT Gold over either(handles my bad ground like a champ). Hope this helps somehow.....

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Fishers, but then again I'm still using 2 different CZ 5's. I dont even know what the more modern machines will do. I go by the motto " If it aint broke dont fix it" and my 2 CZ 5's have found me a tremendous amount of treasure since I started using them 15 years ago.

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Lite, Garrett Freedom Ace Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to hunt those small streams you mentioned and want to hunt in the rain get the AT Pro. If getting wet is not an issue get the F75.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread