To our Moderators....please consider this....Magnet Fishing Thread?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great news Jeff!...
Looks like a lot of guys are interested....

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok guys, today was my first time to try magnet fishing. I was hoping to go last weekend but the property owner said no. Anyway, my friend and I got cleared. My friend was a bit skeptical, as was I.

I purchased from Amazon a magnet with 175 pound pull. I went to Home Depot, got rope, gloves and Loctite. The Loctite, by itself, didn't seem to work well, even after letting the eye-bolt over night. I ended up putting a combination of Loctite and Super Glue. I let that sit over night, and the next day, the eye-bolt seemed very secure. I tied a knot similar to a fisherman's knot as posted by a nice person above.

We went to an old river crossing on the Tallahatchie that was supposedly used during the ACW and was used by river boats.

My biggest fear was getting snagged and having to cut my rope, losing my magnet. My first throw into the muddy water gave a weird pull. I thought I was hung so I yanked it hard to avoid the underwater obstacle. But I realized the magnet was actually connecting to iron. I could see logs underwater and found, amazingly, that the magnet would pull over them without much trouble. Once I felt comfortable, I slung the magnet far out and pulled it very slow. Now I know why it's called "fishing." It really feels like nibbles as when you really fish for bass or bream! We realized we were fishing over a sunken boat. I pulled all sorts of iron parts. My friend, who had been skeptical, asked if he could throw. I said yes. He put his metal detector down and chunked it. He pulled up a freaking 6-pound artillery fragment!

So, this is my report. I see above that the moderators are about to launch a magnet forum. When it is launched, I will post up the pictures. This magnet fishing is the real deal, and I'm glad I learned about it from this site!!!!

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding.....
Can't wait to see the pics!

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And thank you, BigWave, you and others are the reason I discovered this!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
magnet_big.gif
Home built - I AM READY! :laughing7:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I got my magnet in, bought some rope and gloves. I bought some loctite to try and secure the eye bolt, but it doesn't seem to work that well. What do you guys use? I may try superglue? I really hope we get a magnet fishing forum. Anyway, I'm gonna try to go next weekend. And will report back here.
Did you try cleaning the eyebolt & nut with a degreaser before applying the thread lock? Sometimes you get hardware that has cutting oil on it. If you really want to go bullet proof use a lockwasher top n bottom. the ones that look like stars. put two part epoxy on the threads as you screw them together, and put the rest around the nuts covering them. Guarantee it won't come loose without using a torch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread