Staying "hidden" with orginal intent...?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a question that I thought I had completely thought though. But when I asked my 35 y/o son to help he bought up a good point...?

I've always wanted to build 10 of my hand built toy boxes and deliver to 10 area Churches within my area at the same time. I wanted to deliver these boxes the first of Dec. or close to each area church. I'd like to donate the 10 boxes and have the churches congregation fill each box for a needy family with a child or children with box included. But I'd wish to do this without the churches knowing.... who made the boxes and/or the request.

I was going to deliver the boxes in the night or early Sunday morning upon there property (Churches property). But my son said "please don't do that". His point is some of the boxes will not meet there original intent. So..... what to do if he is right...? He suggested (and maybe right) call each pastor and take a box to each with your intent.

But my total intent was to dedicate these boxes in total secretly with the intent delivered in the box in written form to each church.

QUESTION: How does someone deliver 10 Christmas Toy Boxes without nobody knowing who did it safely....?

I'm thinking my son is probably right.... call each Pastor.... right?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Stop by with a box . Greet who ever is in charge and explain that an anonymous donor enlisted your truck and self to deliver ,with instructions in the box.:dontknow:

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stop by with a box . Greet who ever is in charge and explain that an anonymous donor enlisted your truck and self to deliver ,with instructions in the box.:dontknow:

Never ONCE dawned on me to go into the 3rd person and do that.... THANKS! See... my IQ may someday surpass my expectations...? MAYBE.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a neat idea! Good luck on your delivery. There's always UPS, but that could get pricey.

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could block your cell phone number from being seen. Call the churches in your area and see if they would be receptive of your proposal.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Never ONCE dawned on me to go into the 3rd person and do that.... THANKS! See... my IQ may someday surpass my expectations...? MAYBE.

Trying not to lie ,and be danged for doing so ...but you being able to employ yourself as a third party shouldn't be cause for fire and brimstone ; at least not right away. Just slightly deceptive.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could just get a email address that you won't have your name tied too. Like: [email protected] and email each church.

Enginefitter

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is a great idea, especially at Christmas. We need more people like you!!!!

I did something similar for 3 straight Christmas's, I built custom go-karts for 3 different handicapped children and delivered them on Christmas eve with their parents help without the child knowing anything about getting a go-kart for Christmas. Then the whole thing went sideways and I ended it (long story). My wife and I did this all on our own dime, she would custom embroider the seats for them with info from their parents about what they think their child would like on their seat. These karts were built from the ground up, piece by piece, I used to build karts for a living for a little while. Each kart met the specific needs of the handicapped child. The last one took me the whole year to build, very challenging.

I will never forget those phone calls on Christmas morning we would get from the child, it was priceless, they would be screaming with joy. It made my Christmas. I understand about you wanting to be anonymous, so did I, but the parents always let the cat out of the bag. So don't be mad if your name gets out there, (it happened to me), just accept it and be happy.

You have a very good soul my friend, keep up the good work, you will never regret it. Another thing Limitool, this kindness will rub off on your children, I have 2 grown daughters who are successful in their careers, they give to charities on a regular basis, after they do their homework on the charity. This is a win-win.

Engine

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nowadays I don't think leaving a box at night by a building would not be suspicious

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think this is a great idea, especially at Christmas. We need more people like you!!!!

I did something similar for 3 straight Christmas's, I built custom go-karts for 3 different handicapped children and delivered them on Christmas eve with their parents help without the child knowing anything about getting a go-kart for Christmas. Then the whole thing went sideways and I ended it (long story). My wife and I did this all on our own dime, she would custom embroider the seats for them with info from their parents about what they think their child would like on their seat. These karts were built from the ground up, piece by piece, I used to build karts for a living for a little while. Each kart met the specific needs of the handicapped child. The last one took me the whole year to build, very challenging.

I will never forget those phone calls on Christmas morning we would get from the child, it was priceless, they would be screaming with joy. It made my Christmas. I understand about you wanting to be anonymous, so did I, but the parents always let the cat out of the bag. So don't be mad if your name gets out there, (it happened to me), just accept it and be happy.

You have a very good soul my friend, keep up the good work, you will never regret it. Another thing Limitool, this kindness will rub off on your children, I have 2 grown daughters who are successful in their careers, they give to charities on a regular basis, after they do their homework on the charity. This is a win-win.

Engine

Engine... My children are the same as me.... They give. They've made there mistakes and paid... but I still support them and just narrow up the parameters as they age. And good for you doing what you did!!!! I'm proud of you for doing that as you should be also. It doesn't really cost me much to make each box but the time involved is A LOT!!! And I take pride in each box.... but I'm old school when most folks did also and the same was expected also.

I've had this idea for 3 years but something always came up... but this is the year. I've worked for the past 6 days cutting stock for these 10 boxes. But I think I shouldn't just "drop them off" now. I think I should contact each pastor and then drop it off or have them come out and pick it up. But I truly was trying to stay "under the radar" upon this endeavor but I'm finding it hard to do.

Baglady... These churches are all REAL CLOSE..... No need to ship anything nor would. I live in the bible belt area. I truly must have 30 churches within 30 miles of me.

I lost my oldest daughter and grandson in Feb. of 15' while they were trying to help others in peril then killed in Franklin TN. I want to donate these boxes in their memory... I just hope it works out in the matter I'd like this year....Brad

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Engine

Engine... My children are the same as me.... They give. They've made there mistakes and paid... but I still support them and just narrow up the parameters as they age. And good for you doing what you did!!!! I'm proud of you for doing that as you should be also. It doesn't really cost me much to make each box but the time involved is A LOT!!! And I take pride in each box.... but I'm old school when most folks did also and the same was expected also.

I've had this idea for 3 years but something always came up... but this is the year. I've worked for the past 6 days cutting stock for these 10 boxes. But I think I shouldn't just "drop them off" now. I think I should contact each pastor and then drop it off or have them come out and pick it up. But I truly was trying to stay "under the radar" upon this endeavor but I'm finding it hard to do.

Baglady... These churches are all REAL CLOSE..... No need to ship anything nor would. I live in the bible belt area. I truly must have 30 churches within 30 miles of me.

I lost my oldest daughter and grandson in Feb. of 15' while they were trying to help others in peril then killed in Franklin TN. I want to donate these boxes in their memory... I just hope it works out in the matter I'd like this year....Brad

Enginefitter

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry to hear about your daughter and grandson, I remember when you told us about it, that's a shame.

Now hear you are doing this. Their memory will live on for a very long time.

Engine

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure that the preachers would keep your confidence. What would happen if it did get out that you were the one that helped to give a Merry Christmas to some needy and deserving children?

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sure that the preachers would keep your confidence. What would happen if it did get out that you were the one that helped to give a Merry Christmas to some needy and deserving children?

I guess nothing fyffytr1... but I wanted it to be about each church and their members filling each box and delivering them completely filled. I finally got all the stock cut and machined today for ten boxes. And I started to assemble today. It will take awhile as I'm building better jigs to help speed up the process as I go along.

FYI... I can sell these boxes as fast as I can build them and have in the past. But I've always wanted to build 10 and deliver to area churches to have them filled and deliver to families with needy children. After my lose in Feb. 15' I quit that attitude of "me". The reason I never did before was because I advertised on one simple ad and was overwhelmed with calls and orders. So I didn't donate a single box to my area churches because I WANTED THE MONEY! For two years beforehand I told my children and my wife I wanted to do this... but didn't. I sold my property that had my wood shop last fall and now have a new one. And the first 10 toy boxes out of this shop are going to those 10 churches and needy folks. I did donate 2 boxes to "Wounded Warriors" for auction and am proud of them. But I can do better and should.

I'd like to order a custom branding iron to emboss upon each box but am struggling with what to order.

I'm not looking for any attention but just would like to deliver these boxes with my original intent.... Brad

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir, you are a treasure and a blessing to those children, and anyone you come in contact with I imagine. I feel blessed just reading your post. I'm sure you will find the perfect way, and most likely when you least expect it. Hats off to you, and thank you for being the bright spot in so many lives.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I made an assumption that churches would be open to this if I just dropped off a box with "my instructions" to fill and deliver to a needy child, children or family. That was arrogant on my part I now think.

I now think contacting the 10 nearest churches (all close), introducing myself to the pastor's, stating my intent / wishes & desires would be better served now. Just dropping the boxes off I now think would not work. So I'll contact 10 churches, talk and see if each is willing in helping with my original intent. I just assumed and shouldn't have.

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a question that I thought I had completely thought though. But when I asked my 35 y/o son to help he bought up a good point...?

I've always wanted to build 10 of my hand built toy boxes and deliver to 10 area Churches within my area at the same time. I wanted to deliver these boxes the first of Dec. or close to each area church. I'd like to donate the 10 boxes and have the churches congregation fill each box for a needy family with a child or children with box included. But I'd wish to do this without the churches knowing.... who made the boxes and/or the request.

I was going to deliver the boxes in the night or early Sunday morning upon there property (Churches property). But my son said "please don't do that". His point is some of the boxes will not meet there original intent. So..... what to do if he is right...? He suggested (and maybe right) call each pastor and take a box to each with your intent.

But my total intent was to dedicate these boxes in total secretly with the intent delivered in the box in written form to each church.

QUESTION: How does someone deliver 10 Christmas Toy Boxes without nobody knowing who did it safely....?

I'm thinking my son is probably right.... call each Pastor.... right?

Former pastor kid here. :hello: Call the pastor of each church. If you say that you wish to remain anonymous, they will honor that. There were many times that an anonymous donor would donate something and not even I - the know it all, had keys to every room, and free reign of the hidden hallways (HUGE church here in the metro Atlanta area), pastor's kid (I wasn't even 15), knew who the donors were. Pastors are very tight lipped when it comes to things like that.

So sorry about your loss. I think this is a wonderful thing to do in their memory. This world needs more people like you. Perhaps you've inspired others on here to do something for others this Christmas. :)

Edit to add:

I don't think it was arrogant at all to drop off the boxes without a prior arrangement. I think you just wanted to stay totally anonymous. With all of the craziness in the world, the bomb squad would end up at all 10 churches and you would have watched that play out on the local news from a camera on a chopper... not a pretty scene

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Former pastor kid here. :hello: Call the pastor of each church. If you say that you wish to remain anonymous, they will honor that. There were many times that an anonymous donor would donate something and not even I - the know it all, had keys to every room, and free reign of the hidden hallways (HUGE church here in the metro Atlanta area), pastor's kid (I wasn't even 15), knew who the donors were. Pastors are very tight lipped when it comes to things like that.

So sorry about your loss. I think this is a wonderful thing to do in their memory. This world needs more people like you. Perhaps you've inspired others on here to do something for others this Christmas. :)

Edit to add:

I don't think it was arrogant at all to drop off the boxes without a prior arrangement. I think you just wanted to stay totally anonymous. With all of the craziness in the world, the bomb squad would end up at all 10 churches and you would have watched that play out on the local news from a camera on a chopper... not a pretty scene

Hello lady.... I came to the realization yesterday afternoon that I personally need to contact each pastor of 10 close churches and inquire if they want to participate. My son / wife all said "what difference does it make"?

I guess none (as somebody else asked earlier). I just didn't want it to be seen as "advertising" to their members. I just want them to "complete the mission" I set up in memory of my daughter & grandson. So for now (today) I will contact each pastor and state my wishes.

That's it... period, Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread