Scary experiences while detecting/prospecting.

OP
OP
T

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While on a trip with a couple of other detectorists out in what is now the middle of no where in the forest I woke up to find an unexpected tent mate. It was a bear sound asleep in the tent with me and I had no idea anything or anyone had come in the tent until I woke up and saw it lying there asleep. I didn't freak out or anything because I knew it wasn't gonna do anything to me because if it was it would have while I slept. My partners didn't seem to like the idea of bears sleeping in their tents with them and they ended up leaving early. We were supposed to be there for a couple weeks but they only stayed for 3 days because of the bear wandering into my tent. I stayed there and continued my hunt for the cache we were looking for. The site we were at was once a popular hang out for outlaws and it was rumored that several caches may have been hidden around the area. A few days later I found a rattlesnake in my sleeping bag which I helped back out of the tent.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will start with one of my own scary experiences. I was detecting up in the mountains in Colorado and I had made my way down the slope of the mountain into the trees when I heard something walking and I was out there by myself so the sound caught me by surprise so I stopped and waited to see if I could see anything. I finally was able to catch a glimpse of who was following me. It was a bear and a pretty big one at that but I don't think it was following me as much as it was following something else because it was now walking in front of me almost as if it didn't know I was there or if it did it just didn't care. I walked slowly through the trees until I came to a stream at the bottom of the mountain slope and the bear was walking in the stream catching fish as I jumped across I took one last look at the bear and continued on my way. I walked over toward an area where the bathrooms are and was gonna go sit down and take a break because I needed to rest a while because I had already walked at least 10 miles. I had to cut through another section of forest to get to the restroom area and as I walked out of the trees and started walking toward the picnic tables there was a group of women standing around a fancy black SUV and they looked at me and started screaming and jumped in the SUV and slammed the doors. I thought that was kind of rude that they took one look at me and screamed like I was some big machete wielding generic Hollywood horror movie serial killer or something. I continued walking toward the picnic tables so I could sit down and figure out where I was headed next and I was walking around behind a pickup truck and the man driving that drive was standing beside it getting something out of the cooler in the back of the truck and he told me hello and asked how I was doing but before I could answer him he screamed a string of expletives and leaped on top of his pickup truck and I looked at him like he lost his mind and he pointed at something next to me and I looked to my left and about jumped out of my skin when I saw that there was a mountain lion walking beside me and I had no idea it was even there. I didn't freak out though, I continued walking toward the picnic table and sat down. The mountain lion continued off into the trees and it stopped and looked back at me for a second and continued up the slope of the mountain. I think I ran into the same mountain lion again another time because I had one sit down beside me when I was resting up in the trees in about an hour or 2 away from where the other encounter happened.

this is just a guess you understand? but you must smell like a female lion

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While on a trip with a couple of other detectorists out in what is now the middle of no where in the forest I woke up to find an unexpected tent mate. It was a bear sound asleep in the tent with me and I had no idea anything or anyone had come in the tent until I woke up and saw it lying there asleep. I didn't freak out or anything because I knew it wasn't gonna do anything to me because if it was it would have while I slept. My partners didn't seem to like the idea of bears sleeping in their tents with them and they ended up leaving early. We were supposed to be there for a couple weeks but they only stayed for 3 days because of the bear wandering into my tent. I stayed there and continued my hunt for the cache we were looking for. The site we were at was once a popular hang out for outlaws and it was rumored that several caches may have been hidden around the area. A few days later I found a rattlesnake in my sleeping bag which I helped back out of the tent.

hold on a sec! I have been reading your posts with wonderment at your great experiences, then it dawns on me

you are a squatch! so of course animals like you

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome Back Let Go Hunting Chug And Red Ty For your Service!!! :hello2:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just make sure you Use you Privet Server lol Chug We Are All Doomed!!!!

OP
OP
T

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok this thread is starting to get off topic.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its been off topic from the Start, Chug Or a few posts Ago LOL

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We weren't detecting or prospecting but once me and a couple friends dug a privy looking for bottles that had a human lower jaw in it. We put it back in when we filled the hole.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, my name is Hillary. I remember back in 1996 when I went treasure hunting in Bosnia, I got off the plane under sniper fire!

LOL

OP
OP
T

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it's been off topic since you and Jeff Gordon decided to try and hijack the thread.

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not detecting but….Four of us went whitewater rafting from Placerville, near Coloma on the American River we pulled to the bank to eat lunch, we were sitting there eating and six of the hairiest dirtiest scariest gold miners all came out of the forest all with guns drawn thinking we were after their claim, it looked like Deliverance, you could almost hear the banjos playing, we left without talking back.:skullflag:

Last edited:

NightStalker45b

Oct 23, 2015
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will start with one of my own scary experiences. I was detecting up in the mountains in Colorado and I had made my way down the slope of the mountain into the trees when I heard something walking and I was out there by myself so the sound caught me by surprise so I stopped and waited to see if I could see anything. I finally was able to catch a glimpse of who was following me. It was a bear and a pretty big one at that but I don't think it was following me as much as it was following something else because it was now walking in front of me almost as if it didn't know I was there or if it did it just didn't care. I walked slowly through the trees until I came to a stream at the bottom of the mountain slope and the bear was walking in the stream catching fish as I jumped across I took one last look at the bear and continued on my way. I walked over toward an area where the bathrooms are and was gonna go sit down and take a break because I needed to rest a while because I had already walked at least 10 miles. I had to cut through another section of forest to get to the restroom area and as I walked out of the trees and started walking toward the picnic tables there was a group of women standing around a fancy black SUV and they looked at me and started screaming and jumped in the SUV and slammed the doors. I thought that was kind of rude that they took one look at me and screamed like I was some big machete wielding generic Hollywood horror movie serial killer or something. I continued walking toward the picnic tables so I could sit down and figure out where I was headed next and I was walking around behind a pickup truck and the man driving that drive was standing beside it getting something out of the cooler in the back of the truck and he told me hello and asked how I was doing but before I could answer him he screamed a string of expletives and leaped on top of his pickup truck and I looked at him like he lost his mind and he pointed at something next to me and I looked to my left and about jumped out of my skin when I saw that there was a mountain lion walking beside me and I had no idea it was even there. I didn't freak out though, I continued walking toward the picnic table and sat down. The mountain lion continued off into the trees and it stopped and looked back at me for a second and continued up the slope of the mountain. I think I ran into the same mountain lion again another time because I had one sit down beside me when I was resting up in the trees in about an hour or 2 away from where the other encounter happened.

I thought this was going to be a joke. Glad it turned out well

OP
OP
T

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been on this site in a while so a lot has happened since the last time I posted in this thread. I won't post everything now but I will post my most recent experience. A friend invited me to go detect his family's land and we were getting ready to go eat lunch when we heard a group of people yelling behind us and the next thing we knew one of the people started shooting at us. It turned out to be his family members who shot at us because they mistook us for the people who were trying to sell their land from under them.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't been on this site in a while so a lot has happened since the last time I posted in this thread. I won't post everything now but I will post my most recent experience. A friend invited me to go detect his family's land and we were getting ready to go eat lunch when we heard a group of people yelling behind us and the next thing we knew one of the people started shooting at us. It turned out to be his family members who shot at us because they mistook us for the people who were trying to sell their land from under them.

oh crap at least they missed

OP
OP
T

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, they were under the influence of something at the time.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Pardner and I would get dropped off in on a helicopter to this one spot we were searching. We got a late start and it was getting warm and when we tried to land, every buzzer in that chopper went off. It had something to do with the altitude and the temperature so the chopper wasn't flying right with that much weight. We had full packs and enough water and food for a week. Well, we had to abort the landing and go to a lower altitude and drop one person, my pardner, and all of his provisions. I flew up to the top of the mountain, got out with all of my stuff and backed away to this rocky ledge with a rocky cliff about 200 feet high. As soon as the chopper was out of sight, as I stood there looking around, a Cougar, just above me let out a blood curdling scream. I pulled my .45, cocked it, and asked him if lunch was what he had in mind? He just kept growling but I couldn't see him. Finally, the chopper comes in and drops Pardner. I wouldn't turn my back on that cliff until Pardner walks over and asked me what was wrong. I told him there was a really big cat up there that invited me to lunch. He just laughed.
Well, the next day, Pardner had to go down the other side to take care of bidness, so I stood there looking at that cliff, when I heard that dang cat doing a low, deep growl. I again pulled my .45, backed away and waited. Pardner came up over the other side, walked up to me and said, why do you have your gun out? I said, IT'S THAT DAM CAT AGAIN! He stood and listened for a bit, looked at me and just shook his head and chuckled.
So we spent our time scouring the cliffs and rocks we came for, me paranoid as hell, then early the last day we hiked the 15 miles out, cross country, no trail through boulders as big as houses, perched on a almost sheer drop thousands of feet down. As we made our way over to the first high ridge, I looked back and whom do you suppose I see up on that steep rocky cliff, laying back with his tail in the air? I didn't say a word to Pardner. I'm sure that cat was wondering who he would have for lunch now that I was leaving. That was five years ago, I wonder if he ever thinks of me and my plump, juicy butt. I like to think so cause I sure think of him and my clip loaded with hollow, slug, hollow, slug, hollow, slug, hollow, slug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread