Detector(s) used
White's DFX

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near a large lake that has been drained.I would appreciate any info on where and how to detect for gold only.It is a 50 year old lake.I have a Whites DFX E-series.What setting should I use? Any help will be appreciated!Fortunehunter

When you say gold only, are you talking gold jewelry? You can't really hunt for just gold only with out discriminating out some lower karat gold and your still going to get some aluminum, detectors respond to target conductivity, aluminum and gold have close to same conductivity, if you discriminate out everything but 24k gold your discriminate out 10,12,14 and some 18k due to base metals use to make the lower K gold...

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To find gold rings you are going to have to dig some junk. You have an outstanding opportunity to find some really interesting things. Just get out there, dig everything and enjoy the hunt.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, on my V3i (same vdi scale as DFX) gold rings air test as low as 2 vdi all the way up to at least 78 (my own 14k band) and probably higher (never found one that high or to test higher).

So as you can see there is a large chunck of scale to work with. This isn't going play out like silver cherry pickers play. You're going to dig trash and plenty of it, but odds are heavily in your favor to bring home gold considering the lake draining.

Obviously the beach and adjacent lake bottom is going to hold the greatest concentration of gold. Research the history and perhaps there was anothe beach location now gone. Also many beaches had floating platforms back in the day. Find where that thing once floated and you'll probably find gold and more.

Good luck.

They may never drain that lake again in your lifetime. Make the most of it!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have found about 3 dozen gold targets, mostly rings, and they came in over a large range from foil at about the same reading as a condiment package up through lower zinc about 10 numbers lower than a real zincoln like a decent sized piece of can slaw.
Gold is the ninja of all metals...it is an expert at disguising itself as other things and sorry to say usually trash.
Just about every gold target I dug has been a surprise where I was expecting to dig something else.
The only thing I can tell you, and this is not in stone by any means, is that so far all of my gold has been fairly shallow at 5" or less and has come in as a pretty solid signal and not jumpy like a lot of my trash usually does.
If you want to be a gold hunter you just have to wrap your head around the idea of digging most solid signals above iron into lower zinc.
Small thin gold chains and other gold like studs or small earrings might even come in as an iron signal too.

The universe does not make it easy for us jewelry hunters and likes to mess with our heads...a lot.

Look at this pic of a VDI scale off of an older White's unit.
Notice the possible gold range and dig accordingly.

Attachments

• scale (1).jpg
    scale (1).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I am just wanting to find gold rings.

Taken from the main menu: Most users ever online was 15,871, Oct 14, 2014 at 02:23 PM.

You have the same desire as the other 15,870 people here on Treasure Net. (one guy was allergic to gold)

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you're looking for something like the 80/20 rule for gold rings. Gold IS all over the scale, but the average band with no setting is like a nickel or thereabouts - a pulltab type signal unfortunately - but it usually sounds better. With the DFX the VDI is relative to the narrowest part of the band (in my experience) and the setting can add to the signal. This is old, but still good ... scroll down to the Gold Jewelry section and look at those files - each one compares the response of the DFX, SE, E-Trac for gold jewelry...

The Beep Goes On - Target ID Spreadsheets

There are other DFX related files as well.

HH!
Beep

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread