Hi Folks; OT: I have an idea for a Medical Device Invention. --

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know which Forum to put this under so I put it here. If the Mods want to move it Please do. Just let me know ok. Thanks.

Do any of you know who I can talk to about getting this device Created and Marketed ?? If so please contact me asap here or PM me ok. Thanks in advance for your input. I await. PEACE:RONB
emo31.gif

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
'this' device?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I think Ron is trying to ask a generalized question, so as not to give away any secrets online. Is very smart to be safe, but also sorta difficult to get any form of tailored answer(s).

I read somewhere recently about a kid who had invented some device that ended up getting patented, and now the kid is in college. Was another kid who I read about that made some ground-breaking discovery in, I think, cancer? ...Might be the same kid for both things. Anyway, try looking up "medical device inventions" and try to learn how they did it. Maybe that will give you some ideas.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
First: make a working model.

Second: Go on Shark Tank.

Third: Retire in the Caribbean.

This is assuming that the first thing actually works, is needed, solves a problem and will turn a big profit. If it does, I'll see you on Shark Tank!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know which Forum to put this under so I put it here. If the Mods want to move it Please do. Just let me know ok. Thanks.

Do any of you know who I can talk to about getting this device Created and Marketed ?? If so please contact me asap here or PM me ok. Thanks in advance for your input. I await. PEACE:RONB
emo31.gif

WTF, And Pass the Pipe this Way

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Why not invent something really useful such as a way to block TV commercials? Moderate to severe
nausea from exposure. When was last time you bought something because of one? I make sure I
don't buy anything advertised on TV.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

emo31.gif

Start with getting your idea patented .. Otherwise, once it's out there, somebody will steal your idea and run!

OP
OP
B

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; Thanks so far. Keep them coming. This invention is for Podiatry use. YES, I know for fact there is a BIG need for it. Also the Market for it will be HUGE. They will sell like Hot Cakes. I know this because I've been working on it for 5 months now. YES, I "HAVE" done my homework. I need someone near me that can create it on AutoCAD and do the actual Renderings. They need a License for that. I know a LOT of College guys & Engineers here. I just don't have any money to hire a Pro ya knows. I'm so broke, the last time I had 2 nickels to rub together Monticello was being built.!!! That's a LOOOONNNNGGG Time.!!!
I do know the basic concepts of Marketing are, keep it CHEAP, Make it SIMPLE, DURABLE & EFFECTIVE and have a Marketable use for it. This idea of mine fits all 5 concepts. I discovered it due to a personal problem I had and I wished to God I had one. There were NONE anywhere. Not even Medical device dealers had one. So no one has made this device as of yet. I "WILL" be the first. After it's made & Patented then I need to figure out how to Market it along with Commercials which I detest but ya gotta admit they ARE effective for sure. Otherwise no one would be making them.
I'm hoping to get some of the Folks here from Mass to chime in along with anyone else with a good idea or info. If I can get this done I believe I'll be Debt free in a year with plenty left over and more coming in DAILY. I'm psyched over it.
So with this said, What say ye Folks ?? PEACE:RONB :coffee2: :leprechaun-hat:

To the Mods: I'm sorry if this Post is in the wrong place or not proper for this Forum ok. I don't know where else to get the Feedback I want ok. Any Problems just talk to me ok. I don't bite. No Teeth.!! :laughing7: Thanks. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I say:
(1) You're THAT broke?? ...Yet your daughter has a cell phone to go playing Pokemon Go in a deserted area at 2am?? :tongue3: Just kiddin'!! Yes, it will take money. But for many folks in the past, that's where family and friends came in - including friends from church. Obviously there is risk here, as to JUST WHAT EXTENT do you trust these people? ...On the other hand, if friends and family can't/won't help, then you're not likely to find investors, even with a great idea that seemingly cannot lose. You would more likely have the idea stolen from you first. Sorry, just being realistic here.
(2) I would recommend getting on good terms with a Podiatrist or two....or three or four! Set up a meeting with them, as a group. Have a prototype made, so that they can see it, hold it, feel it, etc. Make a sales pitch. These are professionals - they'll know in an instant whether it would be worth getting into. Make a business proposition with them. Your idea, their financial investment, and a very, VERY secure NDS (Non-Disclosure Statement). Basically, you sue the pants off of anyone that spills the beans about your idea. Keep in mind, you have to have proof, which "can" be all but impossible. ...Just make sure you don't use the word "sue" with the doctors any more than absolutely necessary!! Most medical personnel nowdays are SUPER-scared about potential lawsuits!! Many have insurance against lawsuits, but it's still very expensive. Every possible additional risk is something they WILL shy away from!! ...Just keep that in mind.

I'm not nearly the best person to be giving such advice, but then it's oftentimes easier to "give" the advice than it is to take "your own" advice. I've had dozens and dozens of great ideas all my life. I know that because dozens and dozens have been marketed. Am I the first to come up with these ideas? Maybe not. Your exact problem stops many folks dead in their tracks. It's all a matter of how much you want this - how far are you willing to go and how hard are you willing to work and how much are you willing to risk to make it reality. I've never liked this saying, but this really is a dog-eat-dog venture!!

Even if you're able to do the testing (with help from the docs), get the funding (with help from the docs), AND get the thing patented and marketed, you can expect that there will instantly be people out there trying to change your design ever so slightly that they can make their own version and get it patented and marketed, albeit at a greatly lower cost, as you will have done virtually all of their work for them.

You've done the easy part - you've had an idea. Have you built your prototype yet? Have you applied it yet? Does it work in real-world conditions? Great - you're now 10% of the way there....maybe not quite that much! And I mention this because, the doctor(s) will most likely be looking at a huge chunk of the investment. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Literally!! Having the means to put ideas into action - THAT'S where the real money is.

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an idea when I was a kid, I didn't know how to go about getting it patented and produced. I sent my idea and drawings (FREE INVENTION KIT) to one of those invention guys in the back of a magazine and they told me my idea was good but they needed $10,000 from me to get it going. My dad said no, I told them I couldn't afford it and 6 months later I saw them in stores. Oh well, live and learn.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, and that's the scam they run. As long as you do not have a patent, anyone who you tell can legally patent it under the new patent laws. It used to be that whoever had the original idea could claim the patent, but that changed. Now the good ole USA is just like all the other countries in the world.

By the way, if you think you getting one of these Free Invention Kit folks to sign a NDS works, think again. With the new patent laws, if they patent before you do, it's theirs free and clear, and you cannot do thing one about it.

There ARE legitimate people/groups out there who are honest and willing to help others with their ideas, but it's not cheap. They will take a big cut. But then, they're also taking more hard risk.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I patented a methodology and a devise in 2005. It was stolen from me by GM. If you call it "something" copyright the verbiage and all variations of it also. DO NOT SHOW OTHERS IN THE FIELD OF EXPERTISE your idea. Dummy up ASAP on how to introduce it into the stream of commerce.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny - my dad had a similar experience with GM. He had this safety idea...can't remember offhand what it was. But before he passed away, he was explaining how he had sent in to one of these "Free Invention Kit" places, but they apparently were not interested. So he contacted GM directly. Never heard a word back. Some time later, almost a mirror image of his idea was being introduced on GM cars! ...Seems like it might have been around 2006 or so. I have his paperwork here somewhere, but not sure right now where the box is. The papers might even still be boxed up at his house, waiting on our last load. ...Seems like it had something to do with the elimination of blind spots - like some sort of sensor or something.

OP
OP
B

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; kcm, That is exactly the kind of HONESTY I need to hear. I do appreciate it. The old saying is "You can't fight a Ghost you can't see." I already know that most of these guys are in fact "THIEVES". There is no other word to describe them more aptly. So I am savvy to their gimmicks. I hhave kept this idea VERY close to me. Only 2 others know what it is and yes I do trust them.
What I want to do first is build a working Model, Put it on AutoCAD, Test it, Obtain the Trade Mark, CopyRights & Patent. Then Market it. These steps are gonna be a real piece of work for sure. But the first part of any journey is the first step. To me the first step is to build the Model and get it Rendered. The rest is all paperwork. After the paperwork it is a matter of getting it Marketed.
Anyways, I look forward to the challenge. Thieves and all. So it is that I appreciate your input. Please keep it coming ok. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
B

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Skippy; Thanks. I know. The whole System is rigged against you from the start. What better way to help out the Thieves.!! The small guy like me has NO chance if We don't watch every word We say. It's ridiculous. Thanks for your honesty. Keep it coming Folks. Thanks. PEACE:RONB

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If there are other uses or potential uses for your device/invention and you do not include them in your patent, then someone else can basically take your exact design and patent it for another use.

If your patent specifies specific materials in the device/invention and nothing more, then someone else can modify your device using other materials/shapes/designs and market it as their own.

If your device could be built as a hand tool, easily modified to a power tool, then modified more to a stationary power tool, but you only list the basic idea, then guess what??

There's way too many loopholes for me, personally. I just can't think that way. That's why it's so important to find the very best patent attorney you can possibly afford. But still, those guys are "attorneys"; NOT engineers, marketers, salesmen, etc. So like you, their minds can only cover so much.

...Starting to get the picture? I'm not trying to scare you into NOT patenting your device. I just wanna open your eyes to what is out there so that you can be better prepared. Believe me when I say you CAN NOT be "too" prepared!! Remember the old saying: "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst."

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kcm is right above. It would seem that the person with the original idea puts themselves into a "box". As if your original idea wasn't hard enough to think up and then develop and twink.... somebody else will look at it and ask..."What if we did this...?" And they'll be right with that line of thought and your original idea and work is barely recognizable now. Now I admit this may not happen every time but getting the patent will be the easy part. Hanging onto it, marketing it and producing a product will be the hard part.

My engineering patent was very complex and the devise I developed to make it all work was very simple. Total cost for the patent was nearly $60,000. GM North American Engineering mandated it be utilized immediately at all assembly plants right after I applied for the patent. For the next 2 years it was tweeked and when the patent came through GM balked and I quit.

Not only will you have to have the money for the patent but marketing it will be a drain also. And if somebody just plains infringes upon your patent you'll have to let it go or fight back which is more of a drain of money. I had two letters sent out to companies who wanted to enter the marketplace with my devise. Both thankfully didn't push it. GM balked at paying and started to produce the devise in-house. My pocket book couldn't handle the further expense of fighting GM and other manufactures.

Please research into marketing a patent and like kcm said above... "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst."

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Not only will you have to have the money for the patent but marketing it will be a drain also. And if somebody just plains infringes upon your patent you'll have to let it go or fight back which is more of a drain of money. I had two letters sent out to companies who wanted to enter the marketplace with my devise. Both thankfully didn't push it. GM balked at paying and started to produce the devise in-house. My pocket book couldn't handle the further expense of fighting GM and other manufactures.

....And THIS is exactly why China has been able to get away with outright theft of ideas/inventions over the years. If China infringes on a patent, the case must be fought there, in China. Not necessarily by you...but then can you imagine how much it costs to send a lawyer there? Or just exactly "what" you'd hire for someone from there??

Some countries will ONLY allow persons from their own country to fight such infringements in court. The argument here is that they know the local laws, rules, customs, etc. ...And that's for countries that even CARE about patent laws!! What do you do with countries that do not respect such laws and rights? ...Well, what CAN you do??

The U.S. was once "THE" inventing/engineering/manufacturing capital of the world, and by far!! But flagrant violations and other hazards of the territory have ruined that.

So now we get to the "other" end of the "I have an idea that I'd like to patent" spectrum. There are still over 300 million people just in the US alone...and that's not including illegals and visitors. Also not including Canada. So, you can expect that unless your patent just happens to be something exceptionally American and not worth much money, that you can pretty much write off the rest of the world - consider it icing on the cake, if you will. Plan on working domestically, and unless you have really deep pocketbooks (<-- plural!!), don't cry over all that spilled milk! ...But that, more (I believe) than anything else, is why the U.S. stopped being the clear leader in the global race of industrial advancement. I honestly don't think much of it has anything to do with politics whatsoever. Now, not going political here, but have to use him as an example, so here goes:

Trump is one of the richest men in the world. Also one of the most powerful. He's there because he, over most anyone else, best understands how to get things done in the business world. Again, I don't trust the man...but then I have trust issues. :tongue3: Still, he knows business. And I think he best knows how to bring the U.S. back to a more respectful rung of the ladder than where we've slid down to. But again, as "just" a businessman, there's just so much he can do. I think that's a lot of why he's running for the White House. Again, I am NOT getting into politics here!! Please don't let the conversation go there. This is about patents. Whether you choose to advance your intellectual ideas or not is entirely up to you. Just wanting you to understand the scope of what you'll be dealing with. There WILL be pitfalls and disappointments. They come with the territory. If you have the ability to brush them aside and move forward, then more power to ya'!!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to have ideas roll into my brain quite regularly. Without willing to risk the resources I
asked the ideas to stop.
I went to a gov seminar once on patents.$10000-12000 just for starts. The world is not like 1900
If the doesn't change your mind try this inventors experience.

"Guru's Lair: Patent Avoidance Library"

Without the resources to defend your idea against corporate lawyers it would drive me nuts.
There are companies that might take on your idea that could provide the capital necessary.
You might research them. But beware. Inventors are often scammed. It's greed that gets them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions