I finally saw fellow detectorists.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting a new permission and BS'ing with the owner who was interested in metal detecting. I was telling him how I had not seen another metal detectorist out and about in my entire life. He said he sees them all the time....

Well, about an hour later I've gotten a little worn out on detecting his property and head to a pretty old city park. Low-and-behold, I see not one, but THREE other people swinging detectors there! I literally laughed out loud. Nice folks. It was a guy, his wife and what I assume was his mother in law. He was running a Racer 2, and holy crap did that thing feel light after swinging my m6 all day.

Well, thats my random story for today. It gave me a laugh, at least. Thanks for reading.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Needs a headline: "Rare, Endangered, Tool-Wielding Primates Spotted in Native Habitat" :laughing7:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean... almost never see another person with a detector. Met A2coins a few weeks ago detecting and it's like we are long lost brothers. Shared some great detecting stories...

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I ran into a flipping herd of 'em once.

It seems that some of them, when ganged up together, actually hide things from themselves. Then they give each other prizes for finding the stuff and getting it back.

Strange bunch of folks...

You just have to be careful and avert your eyes when they dig. (crack kills)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had two guys come up to me on myrtle beach and tell me they detect
whenever I meet one I always say I am on Tnet to see if they are one of us
so far, no one has been

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had two guys come up to me on myrtle beach and tell me they detect
whenever I meet one I always say I am on Tnet to see if they are one of us
so far, no one has been

I asked them if they were on Tnet, also. Nope.

I actually saw ANOTHER one last night. He was running a Deus, and said he had been detecting in my city for 40 years now. He kinda got me a little bummed, because evidently he had pulled over 100 silvers out of the park that he and I were hunting. I'm like "great, all I want to do is dig single freakin silver, and this guy has a horde of them". Oh well. Guess all I can do is keep at it.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ran into a flipping herd of 'em once.

It seems that some of them, when ganged up together, actually hide things from themselves. Then they give each other prizes for finding the stuff and getting it back.

Strange bunch of folks...

You just have to be careful and avert your eyes when they dig. (crack kills)

Strange lil creatures aren't they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, we got a mess of them here in NYC.
On the beaches, in the water, the parks, the woods, they're everywhere. Most of them are really good guys. I always wave hello or chat a little.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I asked them if they were on Tnet, also. Nope.

I actually saw ANOTHER one last night. He was running a Deus, and said he had been detecting in my city for 40 years now. He kinda got me a little bummed, because evidently he had pulled over 100 silvers out of the park that he and I were hunting. I'm like "great, all I want to do is dig single freakin silver, and this guy has a horde of them". Oh well. Guess all I can do is keep at it.

If that guy has been hunting that area for the last 40 years, then he probably pulled the majority of those silvers out of that park a while ago. Park hunting can be hit or miss depending on how many detectorists you've had in your area over the years. I see them all the time where I'm at. Some spots that once held many coins are now almost completely devoid of any signals as hunters have resorted to a dig it all approach to find whatever might be left. There's still a few silvers out there but they're not easy to come by. Private property is the way to go if you can get permission.

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Bounty Hunter DISCOVERY 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never seen anyone detecting before. I've only been out a few times in the last week (newbie) and almost feel a little paranoid that someone with experience is watching and having a good laugh.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If that guy has been hunting that area for the last 40 years, then he probably pulled the majority of those silvers out of that park a while ago. Park hunting can be hit or miss depending on how many detectorists you've had in your area over the years. I see them all the time where I'm at. Some spots that once held many coins are now almost completely devoid of any signals as hunters have resorted to a dig it all approach to find whatever might be left. There's still a few silvers out there but they're not easy to come by. Private property is the way to go if you can get permission.

Yep, you're right. Thanks for the advice. I thought for sure I'd have nailed one since I bought a deeper detector, but after hearing that guy's story, the reality of just how hard some of these places have been hunted sunk in lol. Guess I'll have to get my gumption up and knock on a few doors.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I have never seen one at home, but San Diego seems to be crawling with them, and not just the beaches either. Just yesterday, while cruising down Hotel Circle I spotted a fenced off lot where a demo had taken place and wouldn't you know it, someone was swinging a coil there too. (That you, Tom? LOL.)

I'm bringing my machine with me the next time that I have to come down here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen 3 in the last 18 months - I'm in the sticks so not surprising. Leaving Astoria OR, spotted 2 running AT pro in a dry ball field,

and the other showed up the day after he seen me at the river.

As my honey doesn't share my hobby, kinda nice so see other crazies! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread