Learning the history of your area.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I have been doing research on the Civil War in my county and have come up with some great stuff, but I know there is alot more out there. I got to thinking about how nice it would be to put an ad in the weekly county paper wanting CW info for my county, but not having it appear in the want ads. I wanted a nice sized article on the back page to where most folks would actually see it. I emailed the paper, told them what I wanted and asked for a price quote. I got an email back stating that there was no charge for articles for research purposes. She even went on to tell me about old papers that they have on file called the Confederate Pages that are accounts from Confederate soliders that fought in and occupied my county.
I sent her the article yesterday so it should be in the paper next week. Hopefully folks will bring forth lots of information on my county during the Civil War.

I have no clue if they will let you do this for free at other papers, but it could be worth a shot. Email your county paper and ask. Could be very helpful in searching for your county's history.

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
sounds like a good lead. Let un know how it works out...and definitely get ahold of a cd or something with those old confederate papers on it!

recshooter

Jun 26, 2007
Its grueling but go to a local library and just sit down in front of the microfilm machine and start reading old newspapers..you'll find out alot. My library has plenty that goes back 130 years.

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
There ought to be a few places to MD around Chickasaw. :)
I agree with Cptn J, let us know how the paper works out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread