The Spanish and their signs

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I was hiking in Colorado this past weekend and came across a large #2 carved in a rock face. It was pretty high up and very evident. I was just wondering if this represents anything about treasure in any way? I have never seen anything like this, and no I do not have a pic of it. It was getting dark and I was heading back to the car when I saw it from a distance. Any help is appreciated

Thanks

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it was it wouldn't be so evident you could see it so easily, especially when it was already dark out.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_hunter2004, MrMike was not out of line, his reply was a good reply, your reply however violates our rules. You can not use characters for letters to bypass our language censor and you can not insult other members.

What MrMike said is very logical, odds are high someone wouldn't make a sign so obvious that it is easily seen in the dark from a distance.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
TH'r, you are right. If someone is going to "hide" something, then the intent is to "hide" it. So then why oh why oh why would they subsequently Mark it with all sorts of clues, so that someone else can find it ?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the #2 symbol actually carved, punched, painted, or perhaps a natural fission. Without a few pictures, it is very hard to begin to speculate on what it is. Any way you can return to the site to take some pictures.

OP
OP
T

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_hunter2004, MrMike was not out of line, his reply was a good reply, your reply however violates our rules. You can not use characters for letters to bypass our language censor and you can not insult other members.

What MrMike said is very logical, odds are high someone wouldn't make a sign so obvious that it is easily seen in the dark from a distance.

ok well then I guess your calling me a liar. carry on

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And where exactly did I call you a liar! What I did do was my job as mod.

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A #2 does seem to be going on . Need pics to see the real one on rock to know if it is a number or a turd.

A numeral 2 could represent multiple things besides a number.
Attitude ,context and perspective matter.
What's missing?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.....A numeral 2 could represent multiple things besides a number....

What ?? Are you kidding me ? A number "2" seen in nature somewhere (if you squint hard and tilt your head) MOST CERTAINLY means Spanish treasure. Just like any squiggly line, or "x", etc..... :hello:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What ?? Are you kidding me ? A number "2" seen in nature somewhere (if you squint hard and tilt your head) MOST CERTAINLY means Spanish treasure. Just like any squiggly line, or "x", etc..... :hello:

Ohhh, a Spanish #2!
Getting warmer ,warmerrrrr, oh now your getting colder...colder.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Ohhh, a Spanish #2!
Getting warmer ,warmerrrrr, oh now your getting colder...colder.

No, no, no! If it was a Spanish '2', then it is just posting information for deer or elk hunters in that it represents where you can find the 'dos' (does).

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok well then I guess your calling me a liar. carry on
No one is calling you a liar. There might very well be a #2 scratched/etched/drawn/etc onto that rock. Nothing crazy about that. What we are saying is that IF it had/has something to do with "treasure", it would NOT have been made so obvious. That's all.

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That probably means that there are TWO treasures at that location. Those old Spaniards were very clever about these things when they were hiding treasure everywhere!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So let me get this straight, the guy could not have seen a spanish sign cause he could see it from the trail? What caught my eye on this post was he said it was almost dark. There is light and dark signs. This very well could be a spanish sign and I would not discuss the area with anyone no matter what. These guys are just trolling you to get more info out of you. The type of cross and the way the style of the number 2 will say a lot of who put it there and when. These guys on here cant even find the lost dutchman lol. Just know there is many mines for different types of metals and you may or may not have found one. Signs from the trail mean stop and look around. The cross and number 2 only means what the map says its means. I am sure you do not have the map so now you have a puzzle. I like puzzles. If you can find other signs in the area you may find something of interest. But your better off taking a small hammer and tapping rocks looking for a hollow sound. I could narrow your search area for you but there is only a few on here who are real guys and wont take your stuff. Draw me a picture and send it pm, I would really like to see the cross and 2. Dont send pictures to anyone, you have no friends when it comes to treasure.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... These guys are just trolling you to get more info out of you. ....

Or perhaps they're pointing out that it is possibly incidental or coincidental, having nothing to do with treasure.

This is like lying on your back and staring at the clouds : If you let your mind wander, you can eventually find a smiley face, a cow, a star, a "2", etc... in cloud formations. But even if this is a real hand-drawn 2, why must it necessarily mean: "Treasure" ? People write graffiti all the time, and .... does not mean "treasure".

Thus no, not "trolling for more info".

OP
OP
T

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lmao you are so misinformed and probably haven't found anything worth talking about I am pretty sure

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...... probably haven't found anything worth talking about I am pretty sure

Ha, nice try ;) Title holder on multiple fronts in CA circles, and another shared nationally. So you see, a little skepticism helps out in the process of bringing home the bacon.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is so much grey area when it comes to what people find as "acceptable" when it comes to Spanish signage. The main goal, initially, is to determine if you're wasting your time. Reading this thread, no one's been anything but helpful; even if constructive criticism was applied. When you post ideas or info, expect some crap. You can cut to the chase or live in la-la land...follow your gut, but don't forget your brain (and the fact that a huge number of folks have probably seen the same sign).

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So let me get this straight, the guy could not have seen a spanish sign cause he could see it from the trail? What caught my eye on this post was he said it was almost dark. There is light and dark signs. This very well could be a spanish sign and I would not discuss the area with anyone no matter what. These guys are just trolling you to get more info out of you. The type of cross and the way the style of the number 2 will say a lot of who put it there and when. These guys on here cant even find the lost dutchman lol. Just know there is many mines for different types of metals and you may or may not have found one. Signs from the trail mean stop and look around. The cross and number 2 only means what the map says its means. I am sure you do not have the map so now you have a puzzle. I like puzzles. If you can find other signs in the area you may find something of interest. But your better off taking a small hammer and tapping rocks looking for a hollow sound. I could narrow your search area for you but there is only a few on here who are real guys and wont take your stuff. Draw me a picture and send it pm, I would really like to see the cross and 2. Dont send pictures to anyone, you have no friends when it comes to treasure.
This is how things get twisted. First off he asked for an opinion, and he received some logical ones. Secondly, where did the " CROSS" come into play? Nothing was ever mentioned about a cross. You know that game we played in school, where the teacher would whisper something in one of the students ears ................

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Good catch mr-Mike-jackie. The telephone game at Play right before our very eyes. A "2" carved in a rock on page 1, and by the second page it's a "cross and a #2". Amazing. And people wonder how we can be skeptical.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread