I want to Detect a Closed Army Base, How Can I Make this happen?

BuckRogers2000

Aug 24, 2016
Logan, Utah
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find out who owns the land now. I purchased Xmaps, that has current ownership boundaries, for Utah and Wyoming.

BE CAREFUL!!! Many bases have hazardoes waste, maybe even unexploded ordinance. Good luck!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have an old ordnance depot and testing facility up near lake Erie. It is an area open to redevelopment, but since it is way out there, it hasn't had much development. I drove up there in 2014 and hunted a little. The only coin I dug, was my 1st ever Buffalo Nickel. The Depot sits right next to a national guard base (camp Perry) that once housed WWII German POWs.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find out who owns the land now. I purchased Xmaps, that has current ownership boundaries, for Utah and Wyoming.

BE CAREFUL!!! Many bases have hazardoes waste, maybe even unexploded ordinance. Good luck!

Thanks BR
I Assume the Government still owns the Land (Been closed for an estimated 5+ years.
Maybe the City 'Atlanta' Owns it now.
It's Near Down Town , in a Historical area , not sure how long it was open 'I went there in the Mid 70's when my Mom was in the Reserves '.....Fort Macfearson: . Hope I spelled that Right . It was named after Gen Macfearson ; USA.: Killed in that area during the Civil War.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I detect closed military bases all the time. Here's how I do it: I go out there, I turn my machine on, And I detect.

Unless of course the public is disallowed from setting foot there for some reason?

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Davers,
Ft McClellan in Anniston Ala is closed and close to home. They may have guard training and hazarddous material disposal going on still. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread