ignored by treasure hunter

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II
Similar situation happened to me earlier this afternoon. I was going to hit a rather small tot lot, more checking it for potential than actually doing a "serious" hunt. My wife, wonderful woman that she is, often goes along for the ride; sometimes to cheer me on, usually to tell me how rich we are becoming after I dig my latest pull-tab . :)
As I'm pulling into the lot, I see another car, and think "crap, someone using the park". My wife then tells me that it is another MD'r. I walked up, keeping my distance, and saw him working in the wood chips with what I thought was a screw driver. I offered to get my digger, and he glared at me and said "this works just fine." The lot was small, so I wasn't about to compete with him. I told him about some luck I had at a park about half mile down the road. He grudgingly thanked me, but then told me he had already hunted the heck out of the place, and that he was surprised there was anything left. I won't say he was actually rude; but he certainly wasn't friendly.
I went back about 2 hours later, and still found another dollar in change. (this was a very small lot so I was actually pleased). My wife thinks instead of stealing the little kids lunch money, (tot lot) that he thought I was trying to steal his ;)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Again another good reason to carry business cards. I have had this happen once or twice and once I hand them a card it seems to help a little. I work with a guy who has been in the hobby for 25 years and he is very rude. Any time I try to talk to him about detecting he shuts down the conversation and walks away. Everytime I have brought what I consider to be a "great" find to work to show other people he always has a story to top mine and he makes sure there are a lot of people around to hear it first. I have asked him to go detecting with me and he looked at me and said "why would I waste my time going with you." Usually he is a decent enough person but when it comes to detecting he is very rude. I cannot figure this guy out and I have given up trying.

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
I really would not take it personally. I am male and avoid contact with other people when detecting.

When my detector is in my hands I am concentrating on finding things and not talking to people.

I do have business cards that I give out. When people start to ask several questions I hand it to them and tell them to call me and we will do coffee or something.

Usually I avoid people at all times when I am detecting.

It does not mean I am unsociable or don't love them. It is just my mind is focused on what I am doing and would rather talk to them later when I am not detecting.

If I was a female I think I would be even more apprehensive in today's world with a toy that costs a couple hundred or thousand dollars. The world can be a scary place.

T

TreasureTales

mastereagle22 said:
Again another good reason to carry business cards. I have had this happen once or twice and once I hand them a card it seems to help a little. I work with a guy who has been in the hobby for 25 years and he is very rude. Any time I try to talk to him about detecting he shuts down the conversation and walks away. Everytime I have brought what I consider to be a "great" find to work to show other people he always has a story to top mine and he makes sure there are a lot of people around to hear it first. I have asked him to go detecting with me and he looked at me and said "why would I waste my time going with you." Usually he is a decent enough person but when it comes to detecting he is very rude. I cannot figure this guy out and I have given up trying.

I know this guy!!! He's a member of our local metal detector club. A real jerk. Oh, where are you located? Maybe it's a different guy?

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
If someone comes up I will generally talk to them for a little while, Most are harmless. I had one woman give me the going over while working a tot lot. She didn't even have a kid there, just jogging. She wanted to know exactly what I was doing, why, what agency I worked for, and treated me more or less like a terrorist. I showed her some razor blades, bullets, and other sharp things I carry with me for just this purpose, and told her I was making sure the tot lot was safe for the kids. She just huffed off in her asinine way. I also had a group of teens come up once and start ridiculing me about being some old fart looking for treasure in a park. My response was that my girlfriend had more gold and diamonds then they could give theirs in a year, but today all she gets is pull tabs. That shut them up and went on their way. I don't like hunting around people, and when I do I keep my eye on my surroundings, and my hand close to the Lesche tool. I don't mind answering a few legitimate questions as long as it doesn't take up much of my hunting time. In general, I just don't trust the younger people now days. Their values are different then what I grew up with. If I were a woman, I'd be 100% more cautious then that.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
We've got two threads running at one time. This one about a person who approaches a person metal detecting and gets the brush off and gets angry and another thread about a person metal detecting and getting approached by a person and wants to find a way to be left alone and is trying to find a way to brush them off. Makes you say Hmmmm wouldn't you say?

Daryl

T

TreasureTales

Sorry Professor, but I couldn't help myself. ::)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
mastereagle22 said:

You are not the first one to mention the type that have to be on top! Part of the reason I removed my coin counter! ;) To many people started wanting to make it a competition or I saw their numbers grow extreme amounts at a time :D! So now that counter is gone they can do what they want! Also this guy always having to outdo everyone. I have heard another person in a club say exactly the same thing! Or there is the guy who finds silver all the time, or an extreme amount of coins all the time, or a key date, or always reports a day that should be sent to a magazine... goes to show don't always believe what you hear or read! But hopefully it is just one or two on each forum, continued good luck and great point!

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Trying to get back to the main topic at hand. The fact that the detectorist was a lady should have earned her some slack. We do live in a crazy mixed up world, and you just showed up and started talking to her. Did you have your machine handy? Did she know you really were interested only in detecting? Who knows. But as I have posted on many of my posts before Mean people suck. If she was being rude on purpose or was just not wanting to talk to you then you really didn't miss out on much. I would give her the benefit of the doubt on this one I think.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, here gos. When I am detecting it is usually alone. Not because I don't enjoy company, but because it's hard to find someone to go at 5:00AM just at daylight on a week day. That's when I have my "me" time. I become awed by the wonders of a new day and kinda' go into a trance. That's when I usually get my best finds and when someone tries to strike up a conversation it somehow breaks the spell. I try to respond cheerfully and move on off as quick as I can. I don't really resent the intrusion, it just interrupts the moment. And I know other guys who really resent being interrupted so I am not one to approach another detectorist unless I see a pleasant smile and a wave or something to indicate they have time for chat. And I have run into some really rude detectorists, ones who move in and detect so close by me I feel almost as if I am being elbowed out. That's when I pack it up and leave, which is probably what they were trying to achieve anyway. Not wanting to chat or be disturbed I can understand , but horning in on someone else's small area is unforgivably rude. I can understand a female's plight also, being approached by a stranger and all, but I have met a few females who scared me! :o M ;) nty

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Monty said:
I can understand a female's plight also, being approached by a stranger and all, but I have met a few females who scared me! :o M ;) nty

Oh Monty I didn't know you had met my wife!!! LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL...That's not necessarily a bad thing mastereagle. My wife is only 5'1", weighs about 110 and she scares the heck out of me! M :o nty

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Monty said:
LOL...That's not necessarily a bad thing mastereagle. My wife is only 5'1", weighs about 110 and she scares the heck out of me! M :o nty

I'm not the least bit afraid of my wife. As long as I do what she tells me to when she tells me to everything is just fine! ;D ;D :) :)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
mastereagle22 said:
Monty said:

I'm not the least bit afraid of my wife. As long as I do what she tells me to when she tells me to everything is just fine! ;D ;D :) :)

Oh I forgot to mention my wife is a redhead. . .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread