Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have always focused on 1920's homes down here, but have hit 1950's homes on occasion...
These 50's homes need to have thin, weedy turf for me to consider it.
1960's homes or newer?.....nope, not worth my time.

OP
OP
Fafe

Fafe

Oct 6, 2010
Huntington, WV area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Dave. That's basically what I was thinking. There are many neighborhoods around here that are from the early 1900s through the 40s. Does it also make any sense to try to hunt larger homes over the smaller ones of that same age?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It makes no difference as to the spill of coins when it comes to the house. Obviously the older the home the better. More parties and celebrations.
1950's homes produce greater finds from my experience. 1960's built homes still have valuable targets.
Best of luck!

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From my city coin hunting days i found any curb strip in any pre. 1964 neighborhood held a lot of coins ...thanks to the pocket style of those days. ...you sat and your pockets emptied ...jumped out of the car and money in the yard.
Gary

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, we all know the older the house, the better. Which makes sense. My question is: Based on your experience, how "new" of a house would you NOT bother with? Something built no later than the '40s? Are there diminishing returns the newer the house? Thanks.

You know, people who can afford to build expensive new homes tend to have very expensive jewelry which they may lose on their property. You would probably have to give it back to them, but they would probably give a satisfactory reward.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When looking for prospective permissions on older home properties I stay towards the oldest part of town, but find more virgin sites one road off the main drag. Most big old houses on main roads are seen by millions and may have been detected many times over the past 4 decades, but the old houses on the side streets do not have that many views. I tend to stay away from newer developments unless there is some great history to the land, like circuses used to set up there or a fair was held in that field back in the 1800's. Two old house on adjoining lots, one street off the main drag, next to the RR tracks, (probably people not too well off) provided about a dozen Indian Heads last year and a few mercs and rosies.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions