Any U.S. copper coins that were the size of a modern U.S. quarter?

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a toasted copper coin at an early 1800s farm house under the root of a massive tree. It's about half as heavy as a quarter and a bit thinner.

As stated in the title, I'm just wondering if the u.s. ever minted a copper coin that was the size of a quarter. The googlemobile hasnt been helpful.

I am soaking it in oil right now and will take a cotton swab to it tomorrow. Its pretty toasted but I'm hoping I'll be able to see some defining character. I'll post scans after the bath tomorrow. Thanks for your help guys

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Without quality images of obverse and reverse, any opinion will be speculation. As far as US coins, both large cents and two cent pieces could be candidates. Based on your descriptive age of the site, any of dozens of European, Canadian, and other coins could also be candidates. As I wrote above, this is only speculation.

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
US Large Cent 28.57 cm in diameter
US Quarter 24.26 cm in diameter

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Jerseyben is all over it. Half cent is the size of a modern quarter. They are usually toasted.

Hopefully the pics will give enough detail to confirm.

OP
OP
DiggityDiggity

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
DiggityDiggity

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wth. i go to insert image, upload, and it just adds an attachment link instead of thumbnail? #confused

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a toasted one in PA. Thanks for the info, I bet mine is also a half cent. Just wanted to know the date of it since it was the oldest coin I have found.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 cent piece? half cent? merchant token? . . . it was probably something really really valuable, lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread