Anybody Ever Lend An Artifact to a Museum?

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was contacted by the executive director of the 'Society of The Cincinnati' in Washington D.C. and they want to display my cannonball from the Battle of Brooklyn in their museum for an upcoming exhibit on the American Revolution. Anyone ever lend an artifact to a museum, and if so what is the procedure? I'm sure they will tell me instructions but I'm just curious if anyone here had any experience with lending to a museum before. Thanks :icon_thumleft:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've donated items to museums, they just had me sign a paper. Just be sure if you lend it to them that you get a document stating that you will retain ownership and a good discription of the item, just in case.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
56990095.jpg ...I HAVE ITEMS "ON LOAN" ...HAVE A PAPER DRAWN UP TO STATE ITS ON LOAN AND TO BE RETURNED TO YOU IF THEY END THE EXHIBIT
CAPE COD MARITIME MUSEUM
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums4493-picture1285871.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums4493-picture1285870.html

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Yup; The other guys beat me to the answer ok. Make sure you take a LOT of pictures of it BEFORE you loan it to them. Especially any kind of markings on it. That way you sign the paper and you have photo evidence as well. Other than that it is a straight forward procedure ok. PEACE:RONB

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
More and more museums are not accepting items as "on loan"
Because there has been horror stories of people marching in later on saying " give me my item back now" . Telling Museum staff to open up display cases and return stuff on the spot. Or things like if the item wasn't on display at the time, then Museum staff is sent scurrying looking for it in storage. And Heaven Help that museum if they can't find that person's object right away.

So a lot of museums now require objects to be permanently given to the museum.

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a difference between donate and loan. Just remember that. I would do it under an agreement saying "loan for use agreement." Specify the length of time. Museums change board members often and elect presidents often too. Have it in writing, and in said agreement, have it written that agreement cannot be excecutef until, and on the condition that the contract as signed and agreed to is entered into their minutes at their next meeting, with a copy of the minutes and agreement to you.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, make it in writing it is a loan, and the date that it will be return to you and who is paying the expenses on the loaning and returning the items. You should have your picture beside your item there. Have a big smile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread