Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with you that the plastic pieces are cheap, that's why I don't take it underwater not even the coil...in fact I have a rain cover over the control housing...If I wanted to submerge a detector underwater I would get a dedicated underwater detector like the tesoro stingray 2...that had really thick plastic and built like a tank.....my advice to you is to get a new box housing or if its out of warranty try the JB weld method build up the nippels that broke off with JB,and drill out a holes for the screws to go though

Yeah I tried to use plastic glue to no avail. Now I have it rapped with black duct tape. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I tried to use plastic glue to no avail. Now I have it rapped with black duct tape. Lol

I tried glue also. JB Weld might work but I got sick and tired of trying to cobb it together and just got the new housing.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two words of advice: Tesoro Vaquero.

You're Welcome :laughing7:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And NO you can't barrow my detector:censored:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hmm... if I still had the screws I would likely fill the holes with JBWeld, and re-attach.

Once the Epoxy dries, drill a small pilot hole for each screw, attach it and keep going.

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the advice I'm sending it back to Garrett as we speak.

That's the best way to go. Just remember that it is a weak point on the AT PRO. I've haven't any problems with mine since but just remember it is a weak point on the PRO.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're right to tell you the truth I don't know what I did I hit a target a bent down to delegate I got up and the box was hanging. I just mailed it back with my pin pointer that I had to send back anyway. This is the third time I've had trouble with my Garrett pen pointers which are only six months old. I guess I'm too rough on them as well LOL

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth:

You never mentioned if your AT Pro was in or out of warranty. This same thing happened to mine after 1 year, and I wasn't so hard on the unit, its just a weak spot in the AT Pro engineering. They told me to send it and the coil back to them. They received it on a Thursday and I got everything back the following Friday. I got a new control box and brand new sniper coil, so if it's under warranty you'll probably get a brand new detector. If it's not you'll get a professionally calibrated AT Pro. Customer service at Garrett is legendary.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do some dumb shiii too sometimes. Ive killed my ATP in saltwater and they replaced it out of warranty for cheap. Hell, I break my pointers in a couple years all the time...I send back and they either replace of fix for cheap

It happens..I wish I didnt treat it as a tool and was more delicate...but I do

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth:

You never mentioned if your AT Pro was in or out of warranty. This same thing happened to mine after 1 year, and I wasn't so hard on the unit, its just a weak spot in the AT Pro engineering. They told me to send it and the coil back to them. They received it on a Thursday and I got everything back the following Friday. I got a new control box and brand new sniper coil, so if it's under warranty you'll probably get a brand new detector. If it's not you'll get a professionally calibrated AT Pro. Customer service at Garrett is legendary.

Yeah it's under warranty and they asked for the coil as well. I must admit the Customer Service is A+

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They make an Anderson Shaft for the AT Pro for $199 dollars. Held one Saturday at our clubs Treasure show, very light and there is a flat plate that connects to the control housing. This method appears to be more secure.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They make an Anderson Shaft for the AT Pro for $199 dollars. Held one Saturday at our clubs Treasure show, very light and there is a flat plate that connects to the control housing. This method appears to be more secure.

I saw that I'm just finding it hard to pull the $199 trigger. Between my coils, shovels, pin-pointers....his habit's getting expensive. Was it that much lighter? Lol

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw that I'm just finding it hard to pull the $199 trigger. Between my coils, shovels, pin-pointers....his habit's getting expensive. Was it that much lighter? Lol

I think that's a high price to pay for something that should be fixed by Garrett. The good news is that in a weeks time you will have a totally new detector and knowing what you now know, you'll take extra care with that housing. I think the main reason it happens is because that housing is just so big to rely on those 2 tiny plastic posts.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that's a high price to pay for something that should be fixed by Garrett. The good news is that in a weeks time you will have a totally new detector and knowing what you now know, you'll take extra care with that housing. I think the main reason it happens is because that housing is just so big to rely on those 2 tiny plastic posts.

I agree 100% Dr. Witty

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a lot for a shaft, I thought the ones for safari were too much @$70 +-$5

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm... if I still had the screws I would likely fill the holes with JBWeld, and re-attach.

Once the Epoxy dries, drill a small pilot hole for each screw, attach it and keep going.
Be careful where you place JB!! Jb does have metal in it that might affect coils or other electronics! How do I know this? tried to fix a pickup in a reel to reel recorder. FAIL. Tried to glue some magnets, and had to spend a half hour re troweling the JB until it was almost all the way hard. ALMOST FAIL. Why almost fail? It eventually worked, and watching it creeping & crawling up the magnets was rather entertaining. It might affect circuits in your application it may not. Just be aware before you trash a really expensive part. Hope I save someone some grief!

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also when they send the control housing back, they come with new screws. If they send you a new coil they throw in the rubber washers and plastic screw and nut.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say now us your chance to hip mount it, but you already sent it in.
As for the pin pointer...maybe its your magnetic personality! :D
Hope you get your toys back soon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread