Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good day all....

I just spent 2 hrs. trying to find a shipping box supplier to use for my toy boxes. I can't call any today (Sunday) but I can't find a box either on any of their web sites. And I now realize I probably won't and am at a lost on where to go or what to do.

I'm trying to find the proper size shipping box and can't even come close. My toy boxes actual outside measurements are 38" long, 19 1/4" wide, and 22" tall. I'll probably need corner protectors on the lid depending upon the shipping box cardboard gauge. If corner protectors are used then this added thickness needs to be added to the shipping box.... right?

Does anybody have any experience in ordering proper size shipping boxes? And if so PLEASE point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any helpful advise.... Brad

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you checked with Uline? I know they carry a large variety of boxes.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you checked with Uline? I know they carry a large variety of boxes.

OK... I saw they have 24/7 operators and I contacted them. One option was a double walled box for up to 250 lbs. which was in itself way to big for $20 + bucks apiece + shipping (min. 5) (?). NO WAY! Next was a single wall but that box was way oversized also... I mean way over! And it costs as much to ship here as the boxes themselves cost (min. 10).

These toy boxes only weight 30 lbs. +/- 1.5 lbs. I don't need a huge shipping box I have to use filler to pack tight.

Surely I can find some company to cut me 50-100 single walled boxes that these toy boxes with corner protectors and feet pads can fit snugly into...? Somebody has to know... but I'll continue to search.

Thanks again for any info folks.... Brad

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You might have to make your own. Haven't looked in a while, but years ago I remember a place advertising a product where you could make your own custom size boxes. Was basically flat panels of cardboard that had sort of perforations for bend lines. ...Probably didn't go over very well.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might have to make your own. Haven't looked in a while, but years ago I remember a place advertising a product where you could make your own custom size boxes. Was basically flat panels of cardboard that had sort of perforations for bend lines. ...Probably didn't go over very well.

Well I'm sure any shipping box I can find will come flat with the proper perforations to bend, tape, pack and ship. But damn I'd like to find something close to Nashville or south of it that could produce them and I'd go and pick them up myself.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The stuff I was talking about is a multi-size thing - not simply collapsed boxes. You can fold it to make a box any size you want. However, the box will be in 2 pieces.

Another thought would be to use corrugated cardboard wrap, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Supply-...d=1474239036&sr=8-15&keywords=Corrugated+Wrap

Thanks buddy.... But when I did the math that's pretty expensive also to use. Almost $150 to get here with 250' ft. of usage. I really think this product is more for an inner wrapping and not an exterior / shipping product wrap. But I GREATLY THANK YOU FOR THE EFFORT AND TIME.... Brad

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
OK... I saw they have 24/7 operators and I contacted them. One option was a double walled box for up to 250 lbs. which was in itself way to big for $20 + bucks apiece + shipping (min. 5) (?). NO WAY! Next was a single wall but that box was way oversized also... I mean way over! And it costs as much to ship here as the boxes themselves cost (min. 10).

These toy boxes only weight 30 lbs. +/- 1.5 lbs. I don't need a huge shipping box I have to use filler to pack tight.

Surely I can find some company to cut me 50-100 single walled boxes that these toy boxes with corner protectors and feet pads can fit snugly into...? Somebody has to know... but I'll continue to search.

Thanks again for any info folks.... Brad

Did they mention these? About $15 each: https://www.uline.com/BL_412/Bulk-Cargo-Containers

They have one 30X17X17 for under $10 each, but that is probably too small.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I quite often get items shipped to me with protective corners and wrapped with that Uline plastic type stuff. Did you look into that?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't believe I didn't think of this sooner, but here's what to do:
Go to ALL of your local appliance stores. At each store, ask who you need to speak with in order to see about having them set aside some larger boxes for you. Don't just speak with the first person you see - make sure to ask! Then, briefly explain what you're doing and why you need the boxes. Even if you have to cut them down a bit, freezer and refrigerator boxes should be plenty big, and most likely free. Make sure to take a pic of your toy boxes as well - maybe on your cell phone.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did they mention these? About $15 each: https://www.uline.com/BL_412/Bulk-Cargo-Containers

They have one 30X17X17 for under $10 each, but that is probably too small.

Yea I saw that page.... won't work. They have two that are big enough but WAY to big! I'd have more filler then Toy Box in the shipping box.

"My toy boxes actual outside measurements are 38" long, 19 1/4" wide, and 22" tall. I'll probably need corner protectors on the lid depending upon the shipping box cardboard gauge. If corner protectors are used then this added thickness needs to be added to the shipping box.... right?"

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I quite often get items shipped to me with protective corners and wrapped with that Uline plastic type stuff. Did you look into that?

NO... Are ya talking about something like bubble wrap? Or is it something different?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Colonial packaging was the source when I was in a production environment.
Far from your location but there must be an industry provider in your state?
When I ran out of a size or insert ,the last one was saved for a template and new ones cut out with a razor knife.(Brad + razor knife= superglue.)
Rather than pie shaped wedges used in cutting carpet to roll and tuck , two cut lines (one each side) made slits about a quarter inch wide. Mine were upside down V shaped at the inside end ,where slitter machined slits were half rounded.
You know how picky the big three were/are and I received no complaints. (Other than from my wrists.)
An appliance sales company may have cardboard discards you could mooch on the cheap.(Edit, just read kcm's earlier pos again with with same suggestion , so that's where the idea must have come from...coffee means I'm almost focused now)
Pieces four inches wide the length of lid edges could be folded along their centers to protect edges , and layered squares to pad feet. Double layers by adding squares along sides if stock is too thin, adding folded corner pieces of more generous dimensions than lid edges.
A bit of work.....
A mega stapler made corners secure with pattern of staples depending on size ,packing tape on some others. Leaving a " bump out" on corners assured a faster fit that securing them square/tight. A squiggle of glue in between when stacking mattress sized flat box layers.

Alas , the irony of needing a box to ship a box.

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Can't believe I didn't think of this sooner, but here's what to do:
Go to ALL of your local appliance stores. At each store, ask who you need to speak with in order to see about having them set aside some larger boxes for you. Don't just speak with the first person you see - make sure to ask! Then, briefly explain what you're doing and why you need the boxes. Even if you have to cut them down a bit, freezer and refrigerator boxes should be plenty big, and most likely free. Make sure to take a pic of your toy boxes as well - maybe on your cell phone.

... and don't forget that places that sell appliances usually sell home furnishings as well. The furniture company I work for is always looking for a source for boxes like yours.

Sell, sell, SELL!

BTW, I know that there are lots of stores that would love a good source for cedar chests (since you're already tooled up ... ). I know that we always are looking for a source to ship to us before Christmas buying season starts.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Colonial packaging was the source when I was in a production environment.
Far from your location but there must be an industry provider in your state?
When I ran out of a size or insert ,the last one was saved for a template and new ones cut out with a razor knife.(Brad + razor knife= superglue.)
Rather than pie shaped wedges used in cutting carpet to roll and tuck , two cut lines (one each side) made slits about a quarter inch wide. Mine were upside down V shaped at the inside end ,where slitter machined slits were half rounded.
You know how picky the big three were/are and I received no complaints. (Other than from my wrists.)
An appliance sales company may have cardboard discards you could mooch on the cheap.
Pieces four inches wide the length of lid edges could be folded along their centers to protect edges , and layered squares to pad feet. Double layers by adding squares along sides if stock is too thin, adding folded corner pieces of more generous dimensions than lid edges.
A bit of work.....
A mega stapler made corners secure with pattern of staples depending on size ,packing tape on some others. Leaving a " bump out" on corners assured a faster fit that securing them square/tight. A squiggle of glue in between when stacking mattress sized flat box layers.

Alas , the irony of needing a box to ship a box.

Didn't think of that. Washers and driers come with hard cardboard corner pieces similar to what Relevantchair is describing. Many are always throwing them away. The corners can be cut to length and placed along edges. Free packing materials if you ask nicely ... or maybe get to know the owner or manager and show them a "sample" of your work, offering a trade after they say how much they like it.

There will be four of these corners for every GE and Whirlpool washer on their floor. Others probably use the same.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread