Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nothing to do with liability. The metal detecting people might disturb the beer guzzling (against park rules, that's why there are so many new beer bottle caps on the beach), anyway, beer guzzling, sunbathing swimmers, who at this park do not speak a word of English. Might disturb them. But they have not been leaving gold behind. Just junk silver and plain junk. And the amount of trash left on a daily basis is incredible. If you recycled you could get 5 pounds of free aluminum cans a DAY off that little stretch of beach. It's also classy they leave their old lawn furniture behind and underwear on the beach all the time. It's a different country now. I've seen less trash on the ground in NYC and DC.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why is it ok after labor day --but not before? that in its self is odd.. is it like a "deer hunting" season for coins?

The way the Beach Authorities think;
People with metal detectors are second class citizens.
Maybe we can discourage them by placing restrictions on their activities.
Okay,, we'll give them access to the beach after Labor Day and make them pay for a permit. The water will be placed off limits because there are no Lifeguards on duty. If they are not local residents, , we'll charge them even more.
I have often wondered how many of these parks and beaches receive Federal and/or State funds to subsidize the cost of maintenance. Would it be Politically Correct to bring Discrimination Charges against these recreational facilities. It may put a stop to their financial support from state or federal sources.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I should jump into the basket of deplorables then. When I get 2 seconds free, I'll get all the stuff I found the "pose" for a pic and do a new thread. Was a good summer. Not fantastic, but did good and I didn't go in the water.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
...I guess they don't want pesky detectorists swinging their coils in peoples faces, they see us as somewhat of a nuisance I guess....

xraywolf: Do YOU "swing your coil in people's faces" ? If so, perhaps you need to keep a wider berth and not be waltzing over beach blankets like that :)

But seriously now, I think I know where you were going with that:

That even though we might keep "polite distance", yet let's be dreadfully honest: Detectors are an eye-magnet. Ie.: the man with the geiger-counter just draws stares and connotations. WHETHER OR NOT you "swung in someone's face", or "left a hole or not" or "capitalized off the misfortune of other's losses". It's just the knee-jerk connotation of passerbys sometimes.

I highly doubt some "broke their ankle" in a hole left by an md'r (as the reason cited by your nosy-parker). I bet that it's just, as I say, the mental image that non-md'rs have, hence leading to a claim like that. But if you pressed for details, and asked for an actual citation of such a thing, I bet no one can ever recall such an incident.

But this whole flap of "low traffic" (off-season) , whether actually in-a-rule or not, just serves to reinforce the following good rule of thumb to md'rs: Out of sight is out of mind. Pick lower traffic times (even if it means detecting at night), and presto: no one to be that nosy-parker in the first place :)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually without getting "political" The NH of today isn't the same place I grew up in. It's been polluted by people from other places who went there to escape the big city lifestyle & attitudes but who brought those same attitudes with them. I was born & raised in Portsmouth but threw in the towel 5 years ago & came to the Tennessee mountains. Know what I found ? The NH I grew up in in the 60s & 70s..

Yes the Massachusetts escapees have invaded NH....and Vermont! Sorry about that! I thought the cages were locked and i turned my back for just a minute! :D

Well Smokey that does it! My next detecting tee shirt will say "deplorable me!"

Face it if your waving a metal detector trying to have a little fun you are immedately suspect....for anything but what you are actually doing...cleaning up after the rest of humanity!...the cans, tin foil,trash,glass,aluminum pcs, fish hooks, needles...fill in the blank.
Plus all the man size holes we didn't dig but fill in.
It is still the dark ages if you are waving a detector.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually without getting "political" The NH of today isn't the same place I grew up in. It's been polluted by people from other places who went there to escape the big city lifestyle & attitudes but who brought those same attitudes with them. I was born & raised in Portsmouth but threw in the towel 5 years ago & came to the Tennessee mountains. Know what I found ? The NH I grew up in in the 60s & 70s..

Same exact thing happened here in south-eastern Oregon....never has been the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread