Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this park allows detecting after Labor day. Folks, last Saturday was after Labor day. When I got the machine out of the car the park folks in their pretty truck were watching me. so who really cares....anyway, I head over to the beach and the truck slowly pulls up and we make polite chit chat. The park help (not a ranger) says can't detect. I sort of reminded him it was AFTER Labor day. His direct quote was "oh". And I went detecting. They were watching me to make sure I didn't do something, like I'm not sure what.

Thank God that we're so protected! I did remove a fair amount of trash from the beach! Vote against political correctness this year.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm voting against more than political correctness this year..:headbang:

Bugalooob

Aug 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The park help are on power trips, I never get bothered by the real park police..I don't know why anybody would bother anyone if they were detecting in the sand...kids dig bigger holes then we do and they don't cover them up

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... His direct quote was "oh". And I went detecting.....

Which is exactly why a lot of my detecting is done at night nowadays (especially in turf) . So peaceful. So serene :)

Because a person with a metal detector is an eye-magnet that just "sticks out". Like people think "oh wow, look at the man with the geigercounter thingy! Gee, I wonder if he'll leave a mess, or take beach property for his own profit and pleasure?"

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where I detect we have to pay 10 dollars to detect those parks after Labor day. No one's ever checked if I've paid, but still, it's what you have to do if you live in NY.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Know what you mean... they are more worried about us picking up the trash than they are stopping the litterbugs!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Where I detect we have to pay 10 dollars to detect those parks after Labor day. No one's ever checked if I've paid, but still, it's what you have to do if you live in NY.
...Yeah, this is the way NY keeps their hands in your pockets. In "my" mind, I see NY politics as the legal Mob. Likewise, I see Washington DC as a mob of legals. Hmm...same difference! :laughing7:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
So this park allows detecting after Labor day. Folks, last Saturday was after Labor day. When I got the machine out of the car the park folks in their pretty truck were watching me. so who really cares....anyway, I head over to the beach and the truck slowly pulls up and we make polite chit chat. The park help (not a ranger) says can't detect. I sort of reminded him it was AFTER Labor day. His direct quote was "oh". And I went detecting. They were watching me to make sure I didn't do something, like I'm not sure what.

Thank God that we're so protected! I did remove a fair amount of trash from the beach! Vote against political correctness this year.

What exactly does this interaction have to do with political correctness? Apparently this term has taken on some sort of alternate meaning...

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
What exactly does this interaction have to do with political correctness? Apparently this term has taken on some sort of alternate meaning...

Not everyone can choose the perfect words all the time. There are entire days now when I should never touch this keyboard!! But, I still end up sticking my foot in my mouth on those days. Guess I figure this is a friendly forum made up of normal, un-perfect people, and that they'll usually understand if I word things poorly. ...But I try very hard not to. Sometimes the right word or phrase just doesn't come to mind.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And then you find out...

That guy detects it after work :P

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
why is it ok after labor day --but not before? that in its self is odd.. is it like a "deer hunting" season for coins?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
why is it ok after labor day --but not before? that in its self is odd.. is it like a "deer hunting" season for coins?

Good point. What the heck difference does it make ? And what put this idea "on the burner" of some official, way-back-when, to implement such a rule ? Ie.: what brought it to his mind as a "pressing issue" that we "need to make a rule about " ?

I highly doubt that some official, way-back when, was walking along the beach one day, saw an md'r, and thought "wow, let's regulate that to be after labor day only". I have a suspicion that the way silly laws, and a lot of bans got their initial start, was some well-meaning md'rs waltz in asking "Is it ok to metal detect?" . Then given enough of this "pressing question" (which conjurs up geeks walking over beach blankets annoying people), then someone invents a rule to "address this pressing issue".

Then we md'rs sit around lamenting our lack of freedoms, and stiffling laws, w/o realizing that often time we are our own worst enemy by making ourselves a giant bullseye in need of their attention, in the first place.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to stand up to the (Park Worker) Man Smoke! :headbang:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Lots of parks/beaches have rules of no metal detecting between memorial day and labor day.
That is obviously peak summer season, and that is why. I guess they don't want pesky detectorists swinging their coils in peoples faces, they see us as somewhat of a nuisance I guess. After labor day, kids back in school, weather gets chilly ect = no crowds.

Quite a few beaches like that here in MI, some not. Some I detect all summer with no problems, others are strictly enforced.

A couple years ago it was literally labor day itself and was cold and drizzly. No one at the beach but me and the sea gulls. A guy starts yelling at me from a hill top, I'm thinking, really ? So I amble over and say what ?
He said no metal detecting, you can start tomorrow !
I said you are kidding right, there is not 1 person here. He said doesn't matter. We got into a little convo and I tried to draw out why metal detecting is not allowed, he said they have had people break their ankles in holes left by metal detectors.
I said first off, you can look in the area I have been detecting, if you find a hole I'll stand on my head in it, I fill in my holes. 2nd, you ever see the trenches and ditches kids and their families excavate in the sand ? I pointed out 1 such ditch that was big enough to almost fall into. He was a bit dumbfounded and lost for words, he said look I get off work at 5 pm, come back after that if you want to, which I did.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was younger, to the park worker, I would have asked "what the eff is it to ya!
Now that I'm an older "gentleman" and wanting to be pc about everything I say,
"What the Heck is it to you!
:laughing7:

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I completely understand the no metal detecting during peak season. I have hurt myself in the surf with my own scoop. It's a liability they don't want. I have come close many times to hurting someone accidentally, especially kids, that aren't paying attention. Just not worth it. Even we're it's legal year round I still try to avoid crowds because of this reason alone. Ever see a Stealth 920? Looks like a medieval weapon more than a scoop lol.
Anyway, due diligence is always you're best friend.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good point. What the heck difference does it make ? And what put this idea "on the burner" of some official, way-back-when, to implement such a rule ? Ie.: what brought it to his mind as a "pressing issue" that we "need to make a rule about " ?

I highly doubt that some official, way-back when, was walking along the beach one day, saw an md'r, and thought "wow, let's regulate that to be after labor day only". I have a suspicion that the way silly laws, and a lot of bans got their initial start, was some well-meaning md'rs waltz in asking "Is it ok to metal detect?" . Then given enough of this "pressing question" (which conjurs up geeks walking over beach blankets annoying people), then someone invents a rule to "address this pressing issue".

Then we md'rs sit around lamenting our lack of freedoms, and stiffling laws, w/o realizing that often time we are our own worst enemy by making ourselves a giant bullseye in need of their attention, in the first place.

I'm wishing that I could respond to this with multiple likes. Please understand that my thumb is quivering with desire. :icon_thumleft:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
In NH. Political correctness ? What's that! LOL!
Actually without getting "political" The NH of today isn't the same place I grew up in. It's been polluted by people from other places who went there to escape the big city lifestyle & attitudes but who brought those same attitudes with them. I was born & raised in Portsmouth but threw in the towel 5 years ago & came to the Tennessee mountains. Know what I found ? The NH I grew up in in the 60s & 70s..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions