nickles elude me?

mark43

Apr 8, 2007
Peru, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 whites m6
just a quick question......for some reason i cannot find nickles...i have an ace 250 and was wondering if others with same detector or other detectors have a hard time popping nickles from the ground. is it because alot of junk falls into that particular metal and im just to darn lazy to dig another soda can or pull tab?....lol maybe people dont carry them in their pockets anymore, just quarters, dimes and pennies.....not that i mind...lol. thanks for any input....just dont call me lazy...lol

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I am not sure they are eluding you. Cupro-nickel, foil, and pull-tabs all "look" pretty much alike to most discrimination settings commonly used. If you are passing on the foil and pull tabs, you are probably passing on the nickels as well.

Daryl

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels and gold register about the same, low on the discrimination scale. If you set it to high you miss nickels and gold. I like to dig so I set mine low and dig away. I find nickels and 2 gold diamonds rings in the last 10 months. Just my 2 cents.

Ed D.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I find alot of nickels with my Ace 250, but also dig alot of pull tabs...but it can be worth it too! Nickels and pull tabs and gold all hit close to each other and just have to be willing to play in the junk!!

Attachments

• 0701 003.jpg
    0701 003.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 257
  • 0701 003.jpg
    0701 003.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 266

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Jack you da man nice ring.Mark iam guilty of not digging everything so i guess i miss alot of nickels. 8) AA

rickyinms

Jun 23, 2007
east central Ms
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
i have found 2 nickles and 2 rings in less than a month with my ace. o yea, also a ton of pulltabs. cant wait to sell them and see how much i get,the pulltabs that is.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I do sell my pull tabs, I have a 5 gallon bucket I keep objects that stick to a magnet, and a bucket of items that do not, a bucket for aluminum, one for copper, and another for brass. I just throw them in the bucket and throw no metal away. It may not amount for much but it adds up especially when you consider how much you can dig in a year. So when I head to sell my aluminum cans, it all goes and I make a few bucks for digging that junk!!

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I don't have any personal experience just something I heard. The price for Aluminum is based on the Alloy of the metal and there are quite a few. I heard that the alloy for the pop top part of the can was different and that part, if separated, should bring more money than the alloy for the can. Again, can't swear to it but it's what I heard. If so, your aluminum dealer should be paying you more, per pound, for the pop tops than the cans.

Daryl

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nickels fall into the "less conductive" category about a third of the way between iron and silver. Right between foil and pull-tabs. If you are discriminating or trusting the meter/icons you may be ignoring them as trash.

Treasure Tom

Jun 22, 2007
Hi Mark!

My brother use to work in a bank and said that out of all the coins, nickels are the least common. I don't find as many nickels compared to other types of coins.

Tom

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Fisher found a way to get the nickels. At least, my CZ does really well on them. Don't find many pulltabs believe it or not, but I have had my days. Foil, old and new style pulltabs, and nickels all have their seperate section on the old analog meter of the CZ-5. Pretty accurate, too.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
quite simply put ---a ace 250 will read nickles,and most gold item in the same "group" as pull tabs cut out the pulltabs and you will lose the nickles and many gold items ---its a trade off---no pulltabs equals no nickles and few if any gold items---thus to get all the good "gold finds" and nickles --- you will HAVE to dig it all-- even those dang pulltabs---sorry to inform you of this but thems the facts---thats why I personally like a adjustiible machine--not a "preset" one---you take a nickle and adjust the machine to bearly hit it---that way you keep the gold and lose most of the pulltabs---you will still dig some but by listening very carefully your "ear" will get to know the sounds that your machine makes when it hits "pulltabs"---the differance may not be too much but with time you will dig less pulltabs and start hitting the good stuff--you will still be fooled sometimes even old timers are sometimes ---ultra high dollar machines can better tell them apart and use VDI numbers to tell you which is which---by using the VDI numbers and the sound together old timers really cut down on digging the pulltabs but even then you dig em sometimes---best of luck---Ivan

Buckets

Apr 26, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D ,tesoro Tejon ,tesoro cibola
I have had trouble with nickels in the past too..The other fella is right ,Fisher has it figured out .I have a CZ3D and I have found more nickels than ever before.

B

BIG61AL

I think nickles are just used way less than the other coins. I still dig everything on my detecter that says pull tab all the way up to dollar. If it is a pull tab so what. That is one less trash target for the next time I search this area and one less hole that won't be dug too.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Tom said:
Hi Mark!

My brother use to work in a bank and said that out of all the coins, nickels are the least common. I don't find as many nickels compared to other types of coins.

Tom

Definitely true.

If you buy something and get change, the most you will typically get of any denomination is the following

4 pennies
3 quarters
2 dimes
1 nickel

you could also say 1 half dollar....but very few places give those as change.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions