Help with Old Phonograph Please!!

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife and I inherited this old phonograph years ago. I would like to get it back to working order, but I know nothing about it. It doesn't help that I'm not mechanically inclined at all. After all these years, I have realized there are some smart folks here who might tell me what we have and what to do. I will post pictures below.

Please let me know who might do such work in regards to fixing it, or what type craftsmen or profession. I have no idea who I might even attempt to call to say I need an old Edison phonograph fixed! It looks to have most it parts, and the old cabinet is full of old records. Thanks!

Attachments

• edison1.jpg
    edison1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 45
  • edison2.jpg
    edison2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 45
  • edison4.jpg
    edison4.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 44
  • edison5.jpg
    edison5.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 43
  • edison5-6.jpg
    edison5-6.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 44

GTB

Jul 21, 2016
Cape Coral,Fl
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know about the red star on the record. Sorry I can't help with your quarry.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
If your not mechanically inclined how can we fix that? Unless your asking for someone that can help,
not sure if you'd want to pay the bill.
This might not help but in your position I might consider selling it. If you have ever watched that restoration
show you might know how mush such a job costs.
I used to restoration work once and I couldn't make any money based on the time involved.
It's not like it's a rare antique and might not be worth it.
But at least research the cost and value of the piece. Problem is it's big and finding someone that can afford
the space might be hard to find. Unless it's you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies. I'm not asking folks to help me with my own non-mechanical abilities. I'm asking what type person/human might do the work? Money may or may not be an issue. What sort of upright, bipedal homo sapien who has knowledge of the issue might I contact? I know I'm stupid, but I know I don't need to call a plumber. I'm also just smart enough to know that the market place only responds to folks with income.

I know nothing about the star on the record. The cabinet is full of old records. Does the star possibly mean something?

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If in your position, I would contact someone in the antiques trade that deals with such old phonographs, then ask them if they know of any reputable restoration services. While you may want to try the work yourself, you first need to find someone knowledgeable that can tell you what needs work and how. So for that, first find someone who would do such restoration for pay. That should put you on a decent course to follow.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just try googling "phonograph repair" and see what you come up with. I know there are some national ones but you would need to ship to them. But if you are in a major metro area there may be someone close.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might see if you can find a juke box repair shop they deal with a lot of old juke boxes they might also do phonographs.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
[FONT=&quot] The red star is a record that the Edison people were predicting would be a dog. A non-seller. It was a record that dealers were not required to stock and was not subject to full credit if returned as unsold.
Don,.......
Source: [/FONT]
http://78rpmrecord.com/edcutout.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread