You think he sold them to the Wrong People?

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know, , I live in NYC. I have been by 47th St many times. Now I never went through anyone's trash but I heard there is a guy who goes up and down the street all day long. He eyeballs and picks up all sorts of gems. Lots of street deals being made all day long.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was thinking, if you legally find something in the trash, WHY would you sell it back to the place that tossed it out? I am also wondering WHY he got charged? IF the boxes would have gotten to the landfill, would they have charged the landfill with a crime?

I guess if I found something like that, I wouldn't try to sell it back to the company that tossed it out. Because of my morals, I would call them and ask if they tossed it accidentally. However some here would feel finders keepers. Which is also their right. But then selling some back to the company that tossed them, letting the company know he had them.

I guess that would be like me finding a beautiful class ring underwater, finding the owner and instead of returning it to them try to extort money from them. If you send it to get melted, nobody would ever know you found it.

I know what I am trying to say but I don't think it is coming out right. I guess he brought all the attention on himself by selling the diamonds back to the company that tossed them and not going someplace way way far away. If he wouldn't have found them and they got buried in the landfill, then what would they have done?

beendetected

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the bank puts extra money into your account by mistake; you pay a large bill or take out a little more cash than you should have had, you will be charged by police. Unreal....

Sent by carrier pigeon

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The diamond district is a pretty tight knit community.
Some of the diamonds were worth big money. He sold one diamond for $74,000. to a private jeweler who rented space in the same building where the company that lost the diamonds, was renting a floor. These buildings sometimes have as many as 20 individual jewelers renting space on a floor, or one larger company renting the entire floor. I think he sold the diamond to an independent jeweler that was not employed by the company that lost it.
Another diamond was estimated to be worth $1.3 million dollars. How do you unload something like that without raising a few eyebrows??
It doesn't surprise me that he got caught. There are cameras everywhere. On the street, in the buildings, everywhere.
How could you think,, you're not going to get caught selling property that you know doesnt belong to you, and is worth millions.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
JMHO here - The distinction in these cases is that where a person "finds" or comes into possession of property that they know belongs to some one else, they have an obligation to make reasonable efforts to return the property to the rightful owner. The legal theory is more along the lines of possession of stolen property as opposed to stealing the property outright. Certainly the value of the property has a great deal to do in determining what reasonable efforts consist of. It sounds like this guy knew who the lawful owner was, so he had an obligation to return the property. There are many factors to consider like how long the property has been lost, could it be considered abandoned, etc. My Grandmother always taught us kids that ill-gotten gains would only bring bad results. I would have returned the jewels and then probably kicked myself in the a$$ all the way home.
HH
dts

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
If the bank puts extra money into your account by mistake; you pay a large bill or take out a little more cash than you should have had, you will be charged by police. Unreal....

Sent by carrier pigeon
Say what? I'm interested in any evidence you have, of a bank's actual legal procedure for accidental withdrawal of funds on a bank's error.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could have been an inside job as well, its possible the guy knew one of the "movers" and Hoovered near the garbage bin waiting for the loot! Mover says he/she threw out old boxes by mistake, meh... probably not, but anything is possible.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
SD, very interesting link, with lots of legal ramifications to our hobby. thanx for posting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread