I've almost had it ----

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How is it - I have hunted all types of parks and a couple private permissions of old homes and still only have 3 wheats and 1 Rosie. That's it. I can't even get lucky and find an occation gold or silver ring. I try to dig signal over 40 that's a pretty consistent number . Wth
I have great equipment, I go slow, dig repeatable signals, read and watch everything I can about this sport. I think this is the most frustrating sport I have ever tried. What to do but keep at it I guess.
Maybe I'm trying too hard. Who knows.
Thanks for letting me rant.

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start digging everything until you figure your machine out. You might be surprised how we all overthink signals.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty much everyone who detects goes through dry spells it's just the nature of the beast.

I started in 1993 and have made some decent finds but I've gone through plenty of dry spells along the way.

If you go out for the exercise and fresh air and treat the finds as a bonus it helps to keep from getting frustrated.

Just keep at it and the keepers will come in due course.

Regards + HH

Bill

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're just North of Detroit, then we're looking Oak Park, Ferndale or Centerline, etc, or there about. Whole lot of coastline to your East and there are certainly public beaches. I know when I lived in that neck of the woods I didn't do a whole lot of hunting, felt much better double bolting my door.

I was hunting those areas in '82 and had a lot of competition then, so there's likely no obvious virgin areas just a hop from you. That means you have to do the uncomfortable things, like get permissions. I know I was showing one of my buddies my detector in his backyard in Ferndale. Only swung it to the first target and it was a standing liberty quarter. He wasn't impressed enough to pick up the hobby.

There's treasure in them burbs, and don't forget the sidewalk road curbs.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back to a good spot after a good soaking rain and while using headphones listen very careful for the faint signals. Go slowly. Just some advise that has helped me. Good Luck!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Expecting gold rings?
Dig a bucket of pull tabs. Really. If no gold ring, start on the next bucket.
Not blaming the Ace 350 ,but I average one silver coin for each 4-500 coins, with lots of memorial cents in the bunch.
That "try too hard" is drive. Hang on to it for digging pulltabs.
If we knew what we missed most hunts ,that would be frustrating!

OP
OP
heymirth

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am now swinging an AT Pro with stock coil and Nel Sharpshooter. Nel Storm comes next week
I forgot to edit my profile when I got the new one

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Here is some Sage Advice ok. I've been digging for 49 YEARS now. I've done it all just about. Back in 1968 when I started NO ONE had these new fangled gadgets called DISCRIMINATORS and there were NO SCREENS either. Top Depth was 6" - 8" MAX. It was that way for years. They were called the BFO's. Beat Frequency Oscillating Detectors. The buzzed like CRAZY. I remember when they first came out with metered detectors. They were all the rage. Then came the TR detectors. Today you have every little bell and whistle you can think of BUUUUUTTTT they are far from PERFECT for sure.
Back then if I gave up because of the types of finds I was making I would have missed a Life time of Adventure literally. If you are basing your pleasure on the amount or types of finds your making your head is in the wrong place.
I've gone months on end without making a good find but I still kept going. Why ?? Because for me it is not about the finds. It is about the Serenity and Peace of Mind I get when I go digging. To me the greatest Treasure a Man can find is PEACE OF MIND. With this said maybe you should sit down and reevaluate your thinking about it. THEN go and "PLAN" your next hunt ok. I have to travel as much as 150 MILES just to get to a decent site ok. I live on the Coast here in Boston. Everyone has a detector but they don't have the PATIENCE to "PLAN" their next dig. Me, I do. THAT is when I make the good finds and I still have that Peace of Mind on every trip. Going to the local parks is fun but not if you want to make the good finds ok.
I hope that you take to heart what I've said here and change your overall approach to this great hobby. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you do work it out please let me know, I've spent £1500 so far and found a £1 coin lol.

OP
OP
heymirth

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi; Here is some Sage Advice ok. I've been digging for 49 YEARS now. I've done it all just about. Back in 1968 when I started NO ONE had these new fangled gadgets called DISCRIMINATORS and there were NO SCREENS either. Top Depth was 6" - 8" MAX. It was that way for years. They were called the BFO's. Beat Frequency Oscillating Detectors. The buzzed like CRAZY. I remember when they first came out with metered detectors. They were all the rage. Then came the TR detectors. Today you have every little bell and whistle you can think of BUUUUUTTTT they are far from PERFECT for sure.
Back then if I gave up because of the types of finds I was making I would have missed a Life time of Adventure literally. If you are basing your pleasure on the amount or types of finds your making your head is in the wrong place.
I've gone months on end without making a good find but I still kept going. Why ?? Because for me it is not about the finds. It is about the Serenity and Peace of Mind I get when I go digging. To me the greatest Treasure a Man can find is PEACE OF MIND. With this said maybe you should sit down and reevaluate your thinking about it. THEN go and "PLAN" your next hunt ok. I have to travel as much as 150 MILES just to get to a decent site ok. I live on the Coast here in Boston. Everyone has a detector but they don't have the PATIENCE to "PLAN" their next dig. Me, I do. THAT is when I make the good finds and I still have that Peace of Mind on every trip. Going to the local parks is fun but not if you want to make the good finds ok.
I hope that you take to heart what I've said here and change your overall approach to this great hobby. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

I like what you said. For me it is actually about the peace also. I used to have a cottage to go to for my peace and time away. Normally sitting on a dock or in a tree bowhunting. I would go days without seeing a deer but still got up before dawn and sat in the cold. I love it. This gives me Peace now, but it does get frustrating. But look what happened today--- it rang up at a 79 after 10min of hunting. I believe it speaks to me in a way. It's stamped 925 and It says "Faith" and on the inside it says LIVE BY FAITH NOT BY SIGHT It couldn't be better for me.
Thanks for all the positive dialogue guys. Happy Hunting image.jpeg

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; That is God talking to you. Great find. Breaks your silver drought as well. CONGRATS.!! Now you can plan your next detecting trip ok. I literally have traveled 150 MILES "EACH WAY" to go digging. Now you know why it is called Treasure Hunting. Not Treasure Giving. Think about it. Enjoy your Research and savor the moment ok. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been detecting for 30+ years, took a break while in the Air Force and have yet to find a "Banner" type of treasure. For me its all about finding the clad, an occasional ring or two, and cleaning up the trash. I like to get out and have a "ME" time and enjoy the outdoors. I am now taking on a new method and going into the water with my new excal II, have yet to put it thru the paces other than a test bed but hope to increase my finds and cool off while hunting.

Its called treasure hunting not treasure finding, kind of like its called fishing not catching.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barker, I'm with you. I still do not have a machine with a meter on it. I do discriminate to some extent. I am not interested in digging a piece of foil 12" deep at the beach. I have dug my share of good stuff. Lots of coins just today.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for your WISDOM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like what you said. For me it is actually about the peace also. I used to have a cottage to go to for my peace and time away. Normally sitting on a dock or in a tree bowhunting. I would go days without seeing a deer but still got up before dawn and sat in the cold. I love it. This gives me Peace now, but it does get frustrating. But look what happened today--- it rang up at a 79 after 10min of hunting. I believe it speaks to me in a way. It's stamped 925 and It says "Faith" and on the inside it says LIVE BY FAITH NOT BY SIGHT It couldn't be better for me.
Thanks for all the positive dialogue guys. Happy Hunting View attachment 1363099

Hey guy... Brad here. LISTEN your analogy of bow hunting with our MDing is SPOT ON!!! I shot professional archery, hunted and taught. I got up MANY days, weeks, years and headed to the woods to climb up my tree and wait..., wait... and wait some more. The longer I did this, taught others and learned the easier it got to obtain my goal. After awhile guy getting a deer was easy and I mean real easy. It then was a choice later of which one...?

I'm NOT an MD expert at all... but I bet you'll do just fine learning your machine better and doing a little more digging (a lot more). And GREAT FIND ON THE RING TODAY!!!!! Brad

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the ring recovery! :occasion14:

The others here have excellent advice! I would like to add (IMHO), if your not digging pull-tabs and nickels; you're not digging Gold. I have found Gold rings as low as 38 (thin wedding ring) and as high as 69 (large class ring) on the AT Pro. So dig everything for a while and see what you find! Many people use way too much discrimination while hunting, passing up the goodies to someone using less or are just more curious.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I am now swinging an AT Pro with stock coil and Nel Sharpshooter. Nel Storm comes next week
I forgot to edit my profile when I got the new one

I did see your dated info of an at pro being a couple weeks out way back when..
Still ,if you think you can beat my 350 with it , (l.o.l.) . You might!
Keep at it.
See if when you get in a hum drum mode ,you stab something decent. Then dig super careful recovering junk over and over , until you get complacent again...stab.
Keep it fun on the worst days. The good ones seem even better if we can.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took me several years before I found my first gold ring, silver coin etc. Keep digging! Also I've found more goodies with the AT pro since I switched to the 5x8 coil and pro zero than I did before using it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread