Asking Permission--- yes vs no

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello from Oakland county. Each area of the country is different as are the people. Most only are interested in what you found. You don't have to show them the real goods.:laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Heymirth,

I used to have a yes/no ratio of about 50% until I did these two things, now it’s 90%+ yes. The first thing I did was produce a portfolio of previously detected properties This is easy since, I also have an artifact recovery business, having the pleasure of dealing with cities, towns, historical societies, archaeologists and homeowners.

Many homeowners will write or type, if asked, a brief note especially if you give up some of your finds. The other entities I work with have no problem writing the letter. The second thing is a professional business card. Presenting a card at least with me and where I live works wonders. Nowadays people have little trust for strangers, especially ones asking to “dig up their yard” (their words). I tell people that are hesitant to call the number and sure enough my cheap business flip phone rings. I do not give out my home or Smartphone numbers.

I also explain how the process is done, then demonstrate on a signal in their yard. At this point most let me detect. There may be a few homeowners that say “how do I know that you are not going to keep everything of value for yourself”. I say call the references. We usually strike up some sort of deal that makes everyone happy. Some walk with me and some don’t care, but whatever the case, I show the homeowner everything. There have been very few occasions that the homeowner took everything for themselves. I ask of them a letter of recommendation which is, also, valuable.

Also, when dealing with cities, towns, historical societies, and archeologists I turn everything over for preservation. This does get me into places that very few will be allowed to hunt and I do have the pleasure of finding really cool stuff. Here again, though I don’t take home any finds a photograph and a letter of praise is, also, valuable.

Sorry for the long winded reply. GL & HH

Best Regards,

Doc

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The more you do it the better you get at it. I feel like I do best when I catch the property owners outside, I walk up and strike up a conversation in order to read them. After a little small talk about the history of the property I can decide whether I ask or not. I will also cold knock at times. Like others, I do get some no's. A majority of the people don't care to see the finds, some only want to see them and others want a cool relic/s. I have also given some items to owners just because they were really nice people. Never use the terms Treasure, Valuables, nor Key Date coins when asking for permission. If I was to find a silver cache I will gladly split it with the owner. If they ask, what am I looking for I let them know that I expect to find a harmonica reed, maybe a tootsie toy and if I am lucky maybe a crusty indian head penny. If they have lost an item and give me a description, if I find that item, they definitely get it, no matter the value.

Be true to you, do the right thing, and don't be afraid to ask. The worst that can happen is you get the wrong answer.

I do get more yes's than no's.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... The first thing I did was produce a portfolio of previously detected properties This is easy since, I also have an artifact recovery business, having the pleasure of dealing with cities, towns, historical societies, archaeologists and homeowners....

Doc brings up some great "shoe-in's" that help with the "yes's" : Volunteer your time at any local historical museums within driving radius of where you live. Eg.: be a docent, for example. That might require a minimum 6 hrs. of time each month. Where you might do nothing else but sit at a desk and greet visitors as they walk through the door, etc.....

Then with this type of credentials (and the fancy pants name tag of "Joe heymirth @ such & such museum") you will have better credibility when approaching strangers. Example: "Hi I'm Heymirth from such & such museum in town. I'm doing research on a stage stop that was said to have existed somewhere back in this canyon, do you know anything about it ?"

Then you progress the conversation from merely "I'm researching the history of such & such", to "do you mind if I take some pix, and scan with my metal detector?". And as Doc says, have some samples of stuff you've found "at the neighbor's property down the road where the saloon used to be..." (or whatever). Like have a few buffalo nickels, a barber quarter, token, etc..... The reason for this, is that it puts a face onto your request. Ie.: a sample of what it is that you might find, etc..... And the mere fact that they were "found down the street", puts the person's mind at ease that you're sort of like a neighbor afterall.

Also if you ARE a true neighbor of them , always include that. Ie.: "hi, I'm your neighbor over from such & such street".

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Another tip: Try to catch people "on their front porch" so-to-speak. Rather than having to knock. Because by knocking, it's like invading their private time, and you have the appearance of a door-to-door salesman or whatever. But if they're out in their yard, and you're passing them on the sidewalk, then it's not as if you're in their private space. This works MUCH better than door-knocking, cold calls on the phone (they'll merely hang up), letters or emails (which they can just pitch), etc.....

Yes it's much more difficult to "catch them on their front porch", so this all depends on how good you suspect the site is. I've had old country picnic ground sites and/or mountain resort sites, that we researched in our state. That sounded SO good that I did extensive research EVEN BEFORE trying to approach the owner, to find out where I might "bump into him". Example: Is he a lodge member (moose, elks, etc....?), then find some other member of that group you might know, and ask if they know that fellow. Or where does he work, and if so, what time do they close ? If so, you can guage what time he'll be pulling onto his ranch gate or driveway , etc.... Then just "stake it out" :) So that you can be "happen to be walking by" to strike up the conversation.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mow your lawn, detect your yard. Even swap.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
It's no different than dating women. It's all a numbers game. Ask 10 random women out on a date each day, and by Friday you'll have at least one date, sometimes three!

asrussell96

Jul 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So do ya'll try to make contact via phone or in person.... I have yet to try door knocking so I have been hunting public places like parks, etc.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish that I am that lucky
In a nutshell:
Be confident. Appear outgoing. Make them laugh.

No luck required, I guarantee. My teacher was not a physically attractive dude compared to the level of some of the ladies he pulled, but his method is (was for me) the :cat:'s meow!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I get better than 4 out of 5. No fancy cards or waivers to scare away homeowners. Rare that anyone asks to see what I've found, let alone they ask to keep.

I give a 20-30 second introduction, with my intentions. I never mention the word 'dig'.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting post. Lots of good information.
I haven't really asked many private property owners for permission. I have been successful with obtaining permission to use a metal detector in State, County, City, and Town Parks. I do this by inquiring by Email as to whether or not the RECREATIONAL use of a metal detector is permitted in their park (s). Their return Email, if positive, becomes my permit.
Access to thousands of acres has been gained over the years. Don't forget, these parks were built on land that were once private estates, farms, or early settlements.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
If you ask me, I'll tell you yes, if you don't ask, and I catch you or one of my "friends" do, whoa unto you. It's called respect for the owner and his property, to ask permission.

Funny, made me remember the first time I asked someone for permission to hunt on their property. Old Mr.Barron, he owned thousands of acres surrounding our farm. Lived in a big stone house way off the beaten path. One day I worked up the courage to go see him. I walked up the long long road to his house, almost like I was walking to the gallows. Knocked on the door and the man himself opened the door. Somehow I managed to stammer who I was and that I lived on my Grandfather's farm, then asked if I would be allowed to hunt on his property.

He looked at me a bit, and I was about to bolt as I was so scared in meeting this guy face to face, but knew if I did I'd fall flat on my face as my knees were shaking so bad. He finally said, "I know who you are, and I know your Gramps as well" "He tells me you are a good kid, so you go right ahead and hunt".
"If anyone tries to stop you or gives you a problem, you tell em to come see me, and I'll take care of it".

I somehow got out my thanks, and good bye and ran the whole way home. Oh and after my first hunt, I went back to the house, and shared the Pheasants I had gotten. Shared the wealth, and gained a new friend.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... I have been successful with obtaining permission to use a metal detector in State, County, City, and Town Parks. I do this by inquiring by Email as to whether or not the RECREATIONAL use of a metal detector is permitted in their park (s). Their return Email, if positive, becomes my permit.....

hello there against-the-wind. Although this post was about private property permission, I notice you tell of your technique @ "permission" for public spots. Ie.: to send an email asking "is it permitted". And you say you have been successful at that .

Question for you: In all the times you've done that (as opposed to looking up rules for yourself to see if there were any prohibitions): Have you ever come up with replies telling you "no you can't do that" ? Or "yes, but you can't dig" ?

Or have all your replies been "sure go ahead"? Or "yes this is permitted", etc... With no other qualifications ?

The reason I ask, is that I've heard of persons who inquire as you're saying. Only to be given whimsical "no's". And if they object and say "where is that written?" (hoping to put the burden of proof on them to cite such a law, if it existed), they get the run-around of "digging" or "removing" or "altering", or "cultural heritage" or "lost & found" or whatever rule the desk-jockey thinks applies to this question.

So has your method ever resulted in any "no's", that were not qualified with actual cited rule or law that truly said "no md'ing" ?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread