Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "blank" I'm referring to is the scope on my new .22 airgun. Eyes aren't so great anymore, so I finally took it to a gun dealer, He fixed it right fast. Now I can hit anything at 50' with less than a 1" pattern for 4 shots. In all fairness I did read the instructions. And I never owned anything with a scope on it before. Don't laugh till soda comes out your nose.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Three thoughts come to mind.
50/50 chance.
It could have worked.
First black powder rifle I built from a kit ,the rear sight was installed backwards by ....some one.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But NOW a quarter at 50' is TOAST! Or just not readable by a Coinstar.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
*hehe* Yes, it helps if you know which way is front. Didn't it seem strange that when you looked through the scope, that the image got smaller?? :laughing7:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, because I never looked through a scope before. Always did it the hard way in the past. And even though I read the instructions, nowhere did it point to "front".

Last edited:

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Ahh, if it makes you feel any better, When I was 6 my dad left me shoot his .308. It had a scope on it. I put my eye right up to the scope, like I was looking through a microscope. Well when the bullet exited the barrel, I found out real good how hard the scope moves back. I had a shiner to end all shiners.

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm an iron sights man myself. Beating and bayoneting the bad guys tends to throw the optics off.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a young don't recall what age I bought my first chainsaw and knew how to use one as my uncle had a wood business but I still put the chain back on backwards and after cutting almost a cord of wood realized my mistake, only took two days to cut the wood I just thought dang this is some tough pine.:BangHead:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to be a "sights" guy also. Then when I married, my wife had ump-teen scoped rifles, as well as shotguns and handguns. Took a lot of years for me to get used to scopes, but I did. Now, my eyesight has taken a nosedive to the point I cannot shoot anything other than a shotgun. And with a bad neck, am afraid to shoot larger than .410 :crybaby2:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to be a "sights" guy also. Then when I married, my wife had ump-teen scoped rifles, as well as shotguns and handguns. Took a lot of years for me to get used to scopes, but I did. Now, my eyesight has taken a nosedive to the point I cannot shoot anything other than a shotgun. And with a bad neck, am afraid to shoot larger than .410 :crybaby2:

I've gotten so bad it is scopes and shooting sticks for me.Still can't hit the broadside of a barn.:laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to shoot fairly well with iron sights. At basic training, I shot the center of the target to where they couldn't count 16 of my shots. However, I've NEVER sat down and spent time "practicing". Other than basic, don't think I've ever fired more than 4-5 rounds at a target before. And even then not even once a month.

I've never hunted, though I'm not opposed to it. Just, I've never had a need to. However, I'd like to think I could still provide game if need be - especially where we live now!!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I'm glad you finally got it figured out. :occasion14:

My sight isn't what it used to be up close. But my far away vision is still very good for my age (61.5 y/o). I've bought many thousands of .22 rounds with the last brick of ammo being matched ammo. It made a big difference. I can still (with the matched ammo) put 5 shot @ 50 yds. into a 1/4" group. But when I switched to "standard" ammo the group opened right up to a 1/2+ groups. But I do have a great scope on the Rutger 10/22 rifle also.

I'm even thinking now of getting a KIDD trigger adjustable assembly with their 2 stage 6 ounce trigger assembly for my 10/22 rifle.

BUT, I'M GLAD YOU FINALLY FIGURED OUT WHAT WAS WRONG.... and good for you! Best wishes going forward.... Brad

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my favorite .22's growing up is the old Remington 550-1. It's a sweet little semi with tube feed, and is pretty darn accurate considering the era it's from! Only thing is, if it gets taken apart (completely), there are about 3 parts that MUST be replaced with new parts. I learned that the hard way one time. :tongue3:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe the scope was on correctly and you had the rifle backwards.

Do you have an extra earring hole you are not aware of?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quarters I"m setting up as targets 50' away are HISTORY! Victory is mine!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great sassy mollassy! have you never seen a hunting show?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I don't watch hunting shows. Just funny animals on youtube. Next goal, PENNIES at 50'. It doesn't actually RUIN the quarters, they are lightly weighted so bounce away quite well.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Whatever happened to making a set of circles on a sheet of printer paper?? :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread