StarVision

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2014
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I'd like to share an interesting antique spoon with a unique monogram. I find it quite intriguing :icon_thumright:

In 1885 Donald Trump's Grandfather Frederick Trump, also known as "Friedrich Trumpf" acording to New York immigration records, lived at 76 Forsyth Street in Manhattan's lower east side. He would reside there for 6 year's working as a barber. Moving to Seattle in 1891. Source: Wikipedia.

1880- Wm. A. Rogers had a toy shop categorized as "woodware" located and registered at 72 Vesey Street in Manhattan's lower east side. Source: NY City directory 1880 - 1900. The "Windsor" design was a common, simple design by Wm. A. Rogers in 1884 - 1891 with different varieties including the shell design.

Wm. A Rogers' shop was only 1.6 miles away from where Friedrich Trumpf lived in lower east side Manhattan in 1885. According to maps, a 15 minute walk.

Obviously there is no definitive way to prove that this piece of flatware was owned by "Friedrich Trumpf" and in no way am I saying that it is, as it is highly unlikely. I do however find it VERY interesting and cool as the name relates to Friedrich Trumpf, or by his Americanized name upon coming into New York, Frederick Trump. Not to mention the maker was only 1.6 miles away. It does raise question if the surname was really Drumpf, or Trumpf. As seen on the immigration papers of 1885 (source Wikipedia) it was clearly "Trumpf" with a cursive T - At this point after hours of in-depth research I strongly believe it was Trumpf. According to the 1890 New York City Police census, there was no one with the last name "Drumpf" either.

IMG_1286_zpsf8o4zjk9.jpg

IMG_1292_zpsnbvea5a6.jpg

IMG_1309_zpswnadqwdl.jpg

U.S._Immigration_records_mentioning_Friedr_Trumpf_zpsvzluvcjx.jpg

1880-1900-ny-city-directory_zpsiunerybz.jpg

Screenshot of the map, gave me a different route with different mileage the second time around:
rogers%20to%20trumpf_zpshnqcrqgk.png

Last edited:

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool.

If you dug it up in the area Frederick lived it would certainly bolster the providence. However, it looks like you are located in WI.

You could do some research into how common the Trumpf name was. Also, you could look into if there was any of Frederick's family who relocated to WI.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Spoon !

I moved your Post here because
it does not say if it was Dug by you yesterday That I can see.

So I'm taking it this was a past find, Purchase , family Relic,
gift Or other.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting story and nice spoon! Thank you for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread