kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Where are you located and what kind of ground are you swinging over?

Many areas are highly mineralized and can throw out false signals. Also, if anywhere near salt water, apparently this can also fool many machines into sub-par performance.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run your machine over some actual coins. If your signals are normal then your previous signals were ghost signals. As has been said certain ground conditions will cause falsing.

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swing at multiple directions, wait for that solid signal in all directions
Happy Treasure hunting

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrap your coil cable tightly around the shaft. A loose cable can give you false signals. Turn your sensitivity down a couple of notches. Hunt in coin mode only. All metal mode and jewelry mode can drive you crazy with bogus signals.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrap your cable over the top of your shaft not the bottom, wrapping it around the bottom puts it closer to your coil.Don't know if you can ground balance or reset your settings with your machine but if you can, try that and last if you use more than 1 coil, reset machine each time you change coils so your machine can recognize the new coil.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
in high mineral areas --you might get a false signal but as the machine figgers it out it will then reject it ...unless it repeats steady --most likely its a junky false signal (single beep) a dissolved rusty iron item --like a old nail that's rusted to iron dust will often give you the "disappearing" signal because once you dig it the iron mass of rust is broken up --tip look for rusty color in the dirt you dig

OP
OP
B

Bearprint

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Denmark.

It was particularly bad on the beach - I did not find a SINGLE thing although the machine emitted sounds all the time.

So... I should move more quickly with the coil? Didn't the instruction video say you should move slowly?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your single freq. detector is sounding off on the salt content on the beach or black iron sand.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bearprint your machine should work ok in dry sand, but metal detectors work off of reading the conductivity of metal and salt water is conductive also.So if you were in wet sand that is why it was giving false signals or like others have said there could be minerals or blacksand that are conductive also and that is why your machine was giving you false signals.There are other machines for using in saltwater conditions.Yours should work fine everywhere else as long as there aren't other issues with your machine.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check to make sure all your connections are tight only hand tighten them though.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
note if in salt water area or high mineral soil area or near power lines -- you might need to adjust your sensitivity (power output) levels downward slightly to make the machine a bit less "sensitive" so that it will not pick up these things and give out a false signal ..but only lower it until it stops acting up ....

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your single freq. detector is sounding off on the salt content on the beach or black iron sand

I hunt beaches once in awhile and have no trouble finding coins and rings with my Ace 250. Never had a problem with false signals at the beach.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tag this post For the Red Head Who is Having issues Also Chug

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi-

Been using the same machine for 4 years on beeches- wet sand only- with no problem ( half sensitivity). Went out last week and my machine did what you are describing.
The cause- One of the batteries was in the wrong way! Didn't think it would operate at all with one in incorrectly. Obviously not. I wonder if other detectors do the same. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
B

Bearprint

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna dig in some fields soon, thanks for advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread