What's your philosophy on metal detecting?

Minelab_505er

Greenie
Oct 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about, written about and tried to practice what I believe is my philosophy on finding stuff with a metal detector - let's see what you guys think, and please post yours... (and apologies in advance if this has been posted in some way before). And I'm not referring to technique necessarily, but here goes:

You never know until you dig/retrieve it.

Sounds simple, but I'm not always in that frame of mind.

Y'all?

Last edited:

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my metal detecting philosophy is this, why just read history when you can dig it! funny, but serious. :laughing7:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" You never know until you dig " I'm a firm believer in that, but like you, I don't always follow that rule. It depends on were I'm at, my mood, and what I'm finding. Here is my philosophy: Go with your gut. If you wonder if you should have, then you should have. I metal detect for the enjoyment, so mood determines my technique.

HH RN

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
forgot to also reply to your post, YES, you never know until you dig. how many times have we thought, well, it's just another pop can or bottle cap? dig, it is something else you end up cherishing. sometimes i make myself SLOW down and enjoy the digs.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh dear, I got a D in philosophy. I guess Hobbs said it best. "Take care of your near and dear first." In metal detecting i would say, "Dig first and your near and dear will be taken care of."

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Today I'm going to have fun and find something cool!" - goes through my mind before every hunt. :headbang: :skullflag:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy the walk and enjoy the outdoors, be polite to the curious and hope to find something spectacular.If not just clean up the trash you find, tomorrow is another DIG.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with Terry!

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My philosophy is dig it all you never know plus at least I am cleaning up the garbage. But that also depends on the location. Beaches I dig all because its easier but parks??? Well I can only bend down so many times until my back starts to hurt. I clean up all surface trash and tend to go slow and be more tuned into my signals.

But lately it has been "I really should not be out here and need to get back home and finish all of my projects"

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Does a target exists if it not recovered, or does it remain in the realm of uncertainty?
For some such matters will always remain a mystery. But for those who chose to dig an answer will be forth coming.

Or how about, I dig therefor I am.

Last edited:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; My philosophy has nothing to do with what I find. I believe "the Greatest Treasure a Man can find is the one in His own Heart." I dig for the PEACE OF MIND for in it it brings me the joy I get when I find something nice. My Sanity is worth more to me than Gold. I've been digging for 49 years now and I still get that PEACE OF MIND every time. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep it fun , or else it becomes drudgery , serious is alright though .

OP
OP
M

Minelab_505er

Greenie
Oct 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does a target exists if it not recovered, or does it remain in the realm of uncertainty?
For some such matters will always remain a mystery. But for those who chose to dig an answer will be forth coming.

Or how about, I dig therefor I am.

A buddy of mine used to say after a really long, fruitless hunt, "We didn't find anything today, but what we didn't find was really old and valuable." LOL

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I totally agree!!! When I go out to metal detect I'm always excited wondering what I'll find good day or bad with regards to finds it is always fun.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When in doubt... DIG IT OUT!
and
Relax and enjoy!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is that while I may or may not find anything interesting when I go out and hunt, I am guaranteed not to find anything while sitting on the sofa.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine is not a philosophy but a curse. Has followed me through the years be it fishing, hunting, trapping. Goes from a fun time to "what am I doing wrong", "how can I get better at this"? From the joy of catching my first fish, to how many fish can I catch, to what's the biggest fish I can catch. That striper was only 49 lbs, I have to break 50. That buck was only an 8 pointer, a small one at that. I have a big problem with self competitiveness, always striving for better and bigger that I take the fun out of it.
So if I can suggest one thing only,,,,,,,, HAVE FUN!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dig it all... period. That's pure and simple. If you believe your machine is "smarter" than you then follow the numbers it displays. I dig it all. But maybe that's why I dig a lot of horseshoes, chains and old wagon parts.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just being outdoors is a blessing! Gave up bird hunting years ago and took up coin hunting, it's a lot safer! Never know what I will find and try to make a difference with respect to reducing the amount of trash that's out there. Even make new friends when I'm detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions