Rant - Idiot not filling in holes
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By SD51
  • 2 Post By MrMikeJackie
  • 1 Post By MrMikeJackie
  • 1 Post By Rogue Relic Hunter
  • 2 Post By Rustic
  • 1 Post By SD51

Thread: Rant - Idiot not filling in holes

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    4161 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Rant - Idiot not filling in holes

A friend of mine from the rod and gun club tells me this week that he has gotten permission to detect an open field that used to be used for carnivals years ago. He said to meet there this past Wednesday and he had invited two other guys. One on the two is new to the hobby. My friend instructs everyone that the chief of police requests that we pick-up all the trash and fill in our holes. Sounds great!

In 1 hour I find over $3 in clad but no silver. When I leave I notice the new guy over in the back of the field digging so I figure everyone was finding some goodies.

Yesterday (Thursday) I take my wife to a doctor's appointment that's two blocks from the new field so I bring my detector. Nobody there, so I decide to walk to the back of the field where I saw the new guy digging. Guess what? Here's two wide open holes with softball sized plugs laying on the ground! What a genius! I will locate this guy hopefully this weekend and explain what he is doing wrong! He was even told up front not to do this!

What the h..l is wrong with people? Do I have to go to his own yard and dig 3000 holes and leave the plugs on the yard?

This guy will cause us to loose access to this field!
    Rustic, AARC and kcm like this.

us
    Feb 2015
    Yacolt WA
    EQ 800
    1697 times
    Gosh, I hear ya! I hunt in a rural public area w/permission, but worried about others leaving trash and holes getting me kicked out. But they can't blame the disposable nappies and doggie poo bags on me -

us
    Jul 2016
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Garrett AT/Pro
    123 times
    Yeah its common courtesy to fill in your holes
    Treasurenet users that I have met:

Dawgs241

us
    Nov 2013
    Long Island
    CTX 3030, Xp Deus, That's it, I'm done.
    2260 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    A "softball" sized plug could have easily been lifted by a critter. I've seen it happen all the time. I would ask him first before accusing. My question is did you get the OK to return there without your friend?
    kcm and Rustic like this.

us
    Scott, founder of East Coast Relic Hunters

Oct 2016
    Virginia Colony
    DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5 TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
    590 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMikeJackie View Post
    A "softball" sized plug could have easily been lifted by a critter. I've seen it happen all the time. I would ask him first before accusing. My question is did you get the OK to return there without your friend?
    usually you pack the plug in and if there were several open, seems very unlikely to be a critter. i would not hunt with that guy anymore. that's just me. not sure what i am saying as i always hunt alone anyway. lol
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

East Coast Relic Hunters - "We don't just read history, we save it!"

us
    Nov 2013
    Long Island
    CTX 3030, Xp Deus, That's it, I'm done.
    2260 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Relic Hunter View Post
    usually you pack the plug in and if there were several open, seems very unlikely to be a critter. i would not hunt with that guy anymore. that's just me. not sure what i am saying as i always hunt alone anyway. lol
    I have returned to sites the following day and found holes uncovered with plugs right beside them. In a rage ready to knock someone out I realized they were my plugs. I no longer dig "softball" sized plugs. Pumpkin size or larger for me, the coons here on Long Island are very big.
    Rustic likes this.

us

Oct 2016
    Virginia Colony
    DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5 TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
    590 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMikeJackie View Post
    I have returned to sites the following day and found holes uncovered with plugs right beside them. In a rage ready to knock someone out I realized they were my plugs. I no longer dig "softball" sized plugs. Pumpkin size or larger for me, the coons here on Long Island are very big.
    i believe you. something i have never really thought of. hope they are not doing that to my plugs. i tend to dig larger plugs also, unless in someone's yard. they are actually neater or can be, but the avg joe citizen wont understand that. i use a towel and place the dirt on the towel. nice and clean way to put it all back in then stomp the plug.
    MrMikeJackie likes this.
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

us
    Jul 2015
    western MA
    XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
    660 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The skunks can smell the white, underground grubs and love to eat them and worms. So if you see any white grubs when you cut the plug, just pluck em out and throw them on top of the grass. Then the skunks and raccoons can get them easily, are less likely to dig up your plugs. I also dig deep plugs that I compress super firmly back into the hole when I'm done, so it's harder for critters to dig it back up.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "The Bay of the Holy Spirit” - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    51298 times
    bah... chunk chumpian.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    4161 times
    Glad it was brought up about acquiring permission to come back at another time alone because that can really cause problems later. The four of us personally met with the local chief of police to discuss detecting the site and all have the go-ahead to come back on our own at any time. Good point about the raccoons possibly digging up the round plugs. I cut a larger "U" shaped plug that probably can't be remove easily later.
    MrMikeJackie likes this.

us

Oct 2016
    Virginia Colony
    590 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustic View Post
    The skunks can smell the white, underground grubs and love to eat them and worms. So if you see any white grubs when you cut the plug, just pluck em out and throw them on top of the grass. Then the skunks and raccoons can get them easily, are less likely to dig up your plugs. I also dig deep plugs that I compress super firmly back into the hole when I'm done, so it's harder for critters to dig it back up.
    i always cover those white worms back up. poor little guys. let them live. skunks can eat from trash cans.
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links