SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine from the rod and gun club tells me this week that he has gotten permission to detect an open field that used to be used for carnivals years ago. He said to meet there this past Wednesday and he had invited two other guys. One on the two is new to the hobby. My friend instructs everyone that the chief of police requests that we pick-up all the trash and fill in our holes. Sounds great!

In 1 hour I find over $3 in clad but no silver. When I leave I notice the new guy over in the back of the field digging so I figure everyone was finding some goodies.

Yesterday (Thursday) I take my wife to a doctor's appointment that's two blocks from the new field so I bring my detector. Nobody there, so I decide to walk to the back of the field where I saw the new guy digging. Guess what? Here's two wide open holes with softball sized plugs laying on the ground! What a genius! I will locate this guy hopefully this weekend and explain what he is doing wrong! He was even told up front not to do this!

What the h..l is wrong with people? Do I have to go to his own yard and dig 3000 holes and leave the plugs on the yard?

This guy will cause us to loose access to this field!

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh, I hear ya! I hunt in a rural public area w/permission, but worried about others leaving trash and holes getting me kicked out. But they can't blame the disposable nappies and doggie poo bags on me - :laughing7:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A "softball" sized plug could have easily been lifted by a critter. I've seen it happen all the time. I would ask him first before accusing. My question is did you get the OK to return there without your friend?

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A "softball" sized plug could have easily been lifted by a critter. I've seen it happen all the time. I would ask him first before accusing. My question is did you get the OK to return there without your friend?

usually you pack the plug in and if there were several open, seems very unlikely to be a critter. i would not hunt with that guy anymore. that's just me. not sure what i am saying as i always hunt alone anyway. lol

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
usually you pack the plug in and if there were several open, seems very unlikely to be a critter. i would not hunt with that guy anymore. that's just me. not sure what i am saying as i always hunt alone anyway. lol
I have returned to sites the following day and found holes uncovered with plugs right beside them. In a rage ready to knock someone out I realized they were my plugs. I no longer dig "softball" sized plugs. Pumpkin size or larger for me, the coons here on Long Island are very big.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have returned to sites the following day and found holes uncovered with plugs right beside them. In a rage ready to knock someone out I realized they were my plugs. I no longer dig "softball" sized plugs. Pumpkin size or larger for me, the coons here on Long Island are very big.

i believe you. something i have never really thought of. hope they are not doing that to my plugs. i tend to dig larger plugs also, unless in someone's yard. they are actually neater or can be, but the avg joe citizen wont understand that. i use a towel and place the dirt on the towel. nice and clean way to put it all back in then stomp the plug.

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The skunks can smell the white, underground grubs and love to eat them and worms. So if you see any white grubs when you cut the plug, just pluck em out and throw them on top of the grass. Then the skunks and raccoons can get them easily, are less likely to dig up your plugs. I also dig deep plugs that I compress super firmly back into the hole when I'm done, so it's harder for critters to dig it back up.

OP
OP
SD51

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad it was brought up about acquiring permission to come back at another time alone because that can really cause problems later. The four of us personally met with the local chief of police to discuss detecting the site and all have the go-ahead to come back on our own at any time. Good point about the raccoons possibly digging up the round plugs. I cut a larger "U" shaped plug that probably can't be remove easily later.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The skunks can smell the white, underground grubs and love to eat them and worms. So if you see any white grubs when you cut the plug, just pluck em out and throw them on top of the grass. Then the skunks and raccoons can get them easily, are less likely to dig up your plugs. I also dig deep plugs that I compress super firmly back into the hole when I'm done, so it's harder for critters to dig it back up.

i always cover those white worms back up. poor little guys. let them live. skunks can eat from trash cans. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread