Cub Scout Mining Adventure

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if this post is in the wrong spot, wasn't sure where to post it. Anyway..
Hello!

My name is Sam. I have a nephew who is in Cub Scout pack 101 here in Anchorage, Alaska. Next spring/summer, we are going on a gold mining adventure. I'm hoping that it would give them some fundraising experience (Fundraising for pans, shovels, buckets, etc) for the trip, they can work on their "Earth Rocks" badge, orienteering (for finding the claim), and possibly some camping experience. That is why I'm reaching out now, so they have ample time to raise money and get all the equipment. I'm going to get them some bags of pay dirt so they can learn and practice this winter and get ready for the fun trip! Also, they'd need to learn the legalities of mining. Obviously, I'm doing all the hard work, but they'll have to find the claim coordinates, raise money for equipment, get donations, and make sure that the park rangers are cleared, etc. All of this obviously costs money. We are trying to raise several thousand dollars so all 10 boys can have their own pans, shovels, buckets, etc, and so that we can get some bigger community equipment like sluiceboxes, a sluice wheel, a metal detector, and other bigger and more advanced tools for the older boys. The money would also help with the pay dirt for this winter for them to learn and practice on while the ground is frozen. We are looking for equipment and monitary donations for the pack. Does anyone know of any companies or individuals that would like to help us out? I've contact several businesses already, but no responses. Any help or leads would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cub scouts. "Several thousand dollars"? I think you could pull off a good experience for those younger scouts for way less money. Is this a scam?

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it's meant to stay with them for a few years. And they have a good camping spot by the claim, and they go camping a lot. So they could do both, camp and mine. I figure screw the popcorn sales, we live in Alaska...lets use gold to fund our scout pack. All donations have legit receipts and everything to prove it's not a scam. I have already had other interest from other packs and several Boy Scout troops, which is also where the money could go. Not all young boys are privileged and have the parents that can afford all the equipment. I'm also NOT going to let some kids have equipment while the underprivileged kids get to sit there and watch. I'm an Eagle Scout myself and I've gone through all the fundraising and donations and everything. I say "Several thousands" because I have not yet determined an exact amount that the boys need to raise because like I said, I have interest from other groups, so I don't exactly know how many boys I'm trying to raise money for.

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you mean when you talk long term Is this the ChangePoint Church cub scout pack?

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, hope it works out and you guys get a little assistance. Keep in mind most of us are 'treasure hunters' and not 'treasure finders', so maybe not a whole lot of money just layin around. Who knows, get started on that claim and y'all might just strike it rich!

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me- it's mostly the adventure. But for the boys at that age, color is all that counts! And teaching them all the legalities and whatnot is a big thing. Learn 'em young!

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any gold in Anchorage? I don't know myself if so why don't you start off with some pans go panning. Let them get their feet wet that way and proceed from there.

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any gold in Anchorage? I don't know myself if so why don't you start off with some pans go panning. Let them get their feet wet that way and proceed from there.

Not in Anchorage. We have several claims we're going to outside of Anchorage. And they're starting off with panning, but learning all the concepts.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know being from NH. Here's an idea! Why couldn't you guy's build some sluice boxes? If you go to the gold mining section the check out the sluicing there are a lot of threads on building them. I'm just trying to help get you started I know money is an issue as is with most of us. Maybe another merit badge in there as well. A lot of us build our own equipment. The cost of equipment even in NH. can get pricey. As long as they catch gold no one cares what they look like. I've seen guy's use corrugated drain pipe cut in half length ways to a piece carpet laid in the water in a current. Then save up your gold and when you have a half ounce or so cash it in then buy some equipment. It will also show you who is really interested and who's not. I know you said that you were get some pay dirt for your guy's to pan. Here's what I would suggest take some small fishing sinkers like the size of BB's flatten them with a hammer throw them in some dirt count how many you put in some dirt and practice with that after they can keep them in a pan cut them again do that several times. You can have the best equipment but it all comes down to the pan for recovery. Hope this helps in your project.

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great ideas! I'll bring that up at the meeting tonight. Thanks!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys! Lots of updates here! First off, I have spoken with the local council. They looooove what I'm doing. It turned from mostly my nephew's den to basically council wide. Boy Scouts and cub scouts. I have several sponsors as well. A local brewery is going to donate a dollar for every growler or sofa, order of pretzels and peanut butter sammies bought at their restaurant in December. They're going to blow up their social media with it as well. Also, our biggest news station here (KTUU) is sending us a nice check. Not sure how much yet, it hasn't arrived, but they have also expressed interest in filming us for a nice segment. [emoji16][emoji16] the boys have done a little fundraising so far, but they're still looking for pans and classifiers and little tools and such. They asked me to post (for the second time on some forums) looking to see if anyone has spare equipment. I think some of the parents are putting money in for a trailer for all the gear, since it'll be used all over Alaska. The response is fantastic so far! And all the underprivileged kids will al have their own gear to use and some to keep! I'm going to do a backpack fundraiser so all the boys will all have a backpack for their gear. Let me know if anyone is willing to send any tools, pans, anything else. I told the boys that I'd pay for shipping if anyone wanted to donate. Thanks so much for reading!

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Side note: Can anyone move this to the gold prospecting forum if it's better off there? Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread