Puzzled, Shoud It Be Taken Personal?

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Hunt buddies make me do the asking to them to hunt, but they do join most times when asked? That wasn't the case last couple of months when temps were higher, or weather forecast called for only one hour outta the day, they'd dodge many offers. Temps would dip but not be ideal, they dodge. Now that it's great fall weather conditions, I have to be the one to make first contact. It reminds me of a motorcycle friend who said that a particular riding friend NEVER called him to ride, but went when my friend made the first contact.

I can understand my motorcycle buddy's feelings. He just quit making contact.

Should we take it personal?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With any given group of people, one will stand out as the most outgoing and most likely to get a permission. Maybe you are that person? Not everyone communicates at the same level and a great permission could be lost by someone with less tact or experience in such matters.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey my partner stopped mding with me cause i didnt give him money for gas. His new buddy does. Dont worry

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
With any given group of people, one will stand out as the most outgoing and most likely to get a permission. Maybe you are that person? Not everyone communicates at the same level and a great permission could be lost by someone with less tact or experience in such matters.

That would make sense but for the fact that the majority of hunts are fun clad hunts, which has been their normal forte over time. I do have buddies who won't hunt clad unless silver is possible and I get calls from them. It's those friends who simply "like digging money" not making the first move perplexes me.

I understand your point. I will go hunt hard pounded spots when called for a lone silver, and at the same time, I enjoy the company of others for plain ol' clad just to get out. I go every day because I'm hooked. They know that too.

As for the expenses, we've always driven different cars since the spots are all basically local. But I have had an experience in the past over gas money for longer distance hunts, and I suspected it was the money with that guy. The company in a hunt always outweighed any concern over gas for me, but as I said, I like to have my own vehicle with all of my gear and I carry a lot.

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would make sense but for the fact that the majority of hunts are fun clad hunts, which has been their normal forte over time. I do have buddies who won't hunt clad unless silver is possible and I get calls from them. It's those friends who simply "like digging money" not making the first move perplexes me.

I understand your point. I will go hunt hard pounded spots when called for a lone silver, and at the same time, I enjoy the company of others for plain ol' clad just to get out. I go every day because I'm hooked. They know that too.

As for the expenses, we've always driven different cars since the spots are all basically local. But I have had an experience in the past over gas money for longer distance hunts, and I suspected it was the money with that guy. The company in a hunt always outweighed any concern over gas for me, but as I said, I like to have my own vehicle with all of my gear and I carry a lot.

If you get together often, force the others to participate in permissions by making a schedule. Kinda like a round Robbin thing where every hunt is researched and organized by a different person. This week is your week, the next week is Fred Flintstones and the week after that is Bart Simpsons and so on.
Of course...it may not work but its worth a try.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Come on man, I'm sure that you have figured out that people are just strange! You never can tell what they will or will not do. If you enjoy their company, call them, if not, don't call.

Life is short, enjoy yourself. Don't take anything personal.

PS: I assumed that you are a guy, if you are female, none of the above applies. Go ahead and take it personally.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on man, I'm sure that you have figured out that people are just strange! You never can tell what they will or will not do. If you enjoy their company, call them, if not, don't call.

Life is short, enjoy yourself. Don't take anything personal.

PS: I assumed that you are a guy, if you are female, none of the above applies. Go ahead and take it personally.

lol

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff. If you like there company and want to hunt with them, then you know you will have to initiate the contact and get the permissions lined up. I like friends that pull their own weight. If they do not get permissions or never invite me to hunt a permission then I take them to public lands and hunt. No sense in you having to do all the leg work and they simply get to reap the rewards. As for gas money, I never ask since I was heading to the site anyways. My friends are the kind that will by lunch or maybe a cold drink on a hot day. I mainly hunt by myself locally but do go on group hunts out of state with many of my Tnet friends. They are great people and even if we do not pull a keeper, it was time well spent.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
To re-state, it's not a permissions or expenses issue. It's close by, open public parks for simple clad like we've always hunted. These aren't silver hounds by demand. Not getting feedback when I hint gets personally old.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To re-state, it's not a permissions or expenses issue. It's close by, open public parks for simple clad like we've always hunted. These aren't silver hounds by demand. Not getting feedback when I hint gets personally old.

McKinney It seems like you enjoy the hobby just as much as many of us obsessed MDer's here on Tnet. Not everyone shares the same level of passion for the hobby and may have other priorities/obligations in their life. The only one you need to please is you. If you do not mind setting up the hunts and really do enjoy their company then continue to do it. Maybe someday soon you will meet another that has the same level of passion in park hunting and will call you and ask you to hunt.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone can go to any spot and dig clad whenever they want. Don't need a digging partner for that activity. Find a spot that produces a silver half or a large cent and everyone will want to hunt with you...

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know several mders in my area and have given them my contact info if they ever want to buddy up for a day. I made it clear that I have multiple permissions that could be good producers. Never heard from them. My next door neighbor and I have gone on a couple of hunts together (two public parcels and one of my permission). I really enjoyed watching him find something unique and exciting........I even gave up one of my permissions to him after he got his new detector. He needed a place to learn his new machine. He pulled his first Wheat, Buffalo and Merc.
You need to ask yourself about priorities.........do you want solitude and the all the goodies or do you want the camaraderie to share in the experience and excitement?
Personally, I'm hoping that our schedules permit a couple of outings together before winter sets in.............

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite hunt buddies are the ones who never have a place to detect and always asking if you know of any good places to detect. Now I know every detectorist has some pirate in them but detectorist like them are just plain Vultures. That's why I'm a lone wolf detectorist. :)

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm not a trusting person. If I take someone to a good spot, what's to keep them from going there the next day with a few of their buddies without me? Nothing, except their conscience. And not too many diggers have one of those when it comes to digging at a honey hole! It's every man for himself when silver coins and relics are a possibility...

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm not a trusting person. If I take someone to a good spot, what's to keep them from going there the next day with a few of their buddies without me? Nothing, except their conscience. And not too many diggers have one of those when it comes to digging at a honey hole! It's every man for himself when silver coins and relics are a possibility...

A big reason I would never join an MD club. It must be a bloodbath of back stabbing and throat cutting with digging tools. That reminds me that it's time to sharpen the edge on mine.

Last edited:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's give and take...one guy in our group is a door-knocking fool...he loves it! And "no" does not discourage him..another guy supplies the batteries and gloves and another does the driving...we all have our role. I'm a "lone wolf" also...and there's always that permission on good property where the owner says yes...but doesn't want 4 monkeys digging in her yard...one at a time please!. ..and that's never a problem...it all comes out in the wash...ddf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions