Message in a Bottle from the Heartland!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Message in a Bottle from the Heartland.

I’ve sat on this one since March. I was reminded of it again by a recent thread. I struggled a bit about sharing this one, but ultimately decided it needs sharing…

Approximately March 8th, 2016 I went scouting for a pre 1860-ish homestead site now located on public land. The prior week the Raccoon River had shed its banks for a pretty serious spring flood, and that had kept me from scouting it when I had originally planned. Finally, after road access was resumed, I headed out. My research has the site location established to within 100sq yards. Aerial photos show over time that one particular area within my search perimeter has not been altered in at least 90 years. To the grove I go.

1476289466164.jpg

1476289467850.jpg

1476289470744.jpg

1476289470184.jpg

The floods (past and present) ruined everything in many places with fresh silt 3”-6” deep in the low spots. There was trash and driftwood everywhere. On the way into the trees I had noticed a basket ball I intended to grab when leaving. As I walked along back towards the ball I was attempting to maintain a keen awareness to any subtle clues in the environment for indications of the old homestead. My eye caught the bottle and immediately the brain indicated “odd”. It seemed a bit confusing at first because it appeared the label was on the inside. Then I realized what it was- a message in a bottle!

1476287150792.jpg

My mind began to run wild thinking what could be written? By whom? Why? Is it going to be something negative, or something positive? Maybe it’s a real SOS?

SUPER COOL LET’S OPEN IT!

Upon inspection it was clear the bottle had a note inside along with a marble I could see and hear rolling around as I handled it. The Sun’s UV rays had made the plastic cork brittle and it crumbled apart remaining wedged in the mouth. Briefly I thought what am I going to do now? Psshhht, it’s good thing I brought along a bottle opener! (lower right corner)

1476286260008.jpg

20160308_121950.jpg

It reads:
Dear Friend,
This bottle represents one small part of a hobby that I started back in 1976. As a child I found a bottle with a note in it buried under the roots of a dead tree which was on an island where I lived. The excitement of that discovery stayed with me until, as an adult, I decided to launch my own note in a bottle. I deposited the first one in the Missouri River at Sioux City, Iowa and was overjoyed when, six months later, I received a reply from a person who lived over 300 miles downstream. I was “hooked” and decided to continue the project which, to this date, has amounted to over 300 bottles being placed in mostly Midwestern streams but also in lakes and other bodies of water around the world. Thus far I’ve had about a 20% return rate which means there are lots more just waiting to be found!

Please help me with this project by writing a short note and telling me the date and the exact location where you found this particular bottle as well as some of the details surrounding your discovery. I’d also be interested in how you opened the bottle and the condition of this note – wet, dry, faded, etc. If you like I’ll write back with details of the deposit date and location.

Thank you, in advance, for your help in this slightly unusual hobby. If you like, you can choose to join the growing number of replies that use email to respond. I can be found at… [email protected]

James M. Otto 811 10th Street Spirit Lake, Iowa 51360 U.S.A.

I sent an email out that day with all the requested information. A week later no reply, and I feared the worst. It didn’t take long to confirm I will never hear from Mr. Otto because he’s now deceased.

d7b0c613-2838-4517-a732-44a9f9dc06ae.jpg

Obituary page for James Otto October 9, 1944 - March 25, 2012 Aged 77.

It's been 5 months and I’ve not heard from the family. I asked the funeral home to contact them on my behalf and have yet to hear a word. I still have the note and marble should they ever wish to claim it.

To Mr. Otto - thank you, Sir.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope the family contacts you and continues answering any messages he sent out.Sad that he has passed.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is quite interesting. I lived in Des Moines for a few years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions