Writing a Book on Coin Collecting

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone. So I decided that I am going to write a book on coin collecting and I was wondering what all you thought should be included in the book. So far I have thought of these chapters so far.

1. An Introduction to Coin Collecting
2. Why You Should Collect Coins
3. History of Coins
4. Grading Your Coins
5. Storing and Preserving Your Coins

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Write a chapter on how a person obtains coins for their collection. Coin shops, online (eBay, etc.), banks (coin roll hunting), trading with other collectors and of course, by metal detecting.

OP
OP
H

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea so far guys. Keep on feeding ideas. I suspect it will be a few months before I get the book to a quazi rough draft, but I would like to run it through some of the members on TNet before I move towards the step of contacting my publisher.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Write about how a dug coin is devalued by 90% at auction due to an Environmental Damage Tag that it is given when graded and encapsulated.
Good luck on your venture.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But also how it doesn't matter how much of a coin you have bought the oldest one you've found is always the best one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are hundreds, if not thousands of books already published for coin collecting/numismatics...
How will your book be different? Will it have enough text to cover subjects that have not already been heavily researched and documented?
I am not trying to poo-poo your ambition, by all means, reach for the stars with all you do...
Just curious, what is your background in numismatics?
Collector, dealer, auctioneer, grader, precious metals, rare coins, etc....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good suggestion from 'BigWaveDave': How will your book be different from the many that are already on the market? If you are not already a known author, one suggestion is to have your Forward or Introduction written by a coin expert. In that way, you can, at least, get his name on the cover--as a magnet for potential buyers. Another thought: You might consider creating a series of books; one on each subject you first listed, then additional books on the items listed by others in this thread.
Don.....

Daveyboyz

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2016
Detector(s) used
Non-detectorist, but I do enjoy the stories of people finding treasure.
Primary Interest:
Other
Ancient coins - archaic coins from Greece, Rome and Byzantine etc are a field in and of themselves with new considerations to be taken into account (eye appeal, how central the strike is, historical significance and other factors becoming more important than just a traditional grade) Tools to attribute such coins are available online but valuation requires comparison to the market and some judgement about how important certain factors are, such as test cuts, strike etc.

How and why people collect - fascinating to see how some people focus on one type, others hoard everything, some put together type collections, or collect monarchs, world coins, single countries, one from every country, quantity or quality etc etc. Understanding and deciding collecting goals and what type of collector you are is a useful journey.

OP
OP
H

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry it has been so long since I have posted. My background is 3rd generation coin collector. My grandfather was a dealer and grader. I have done just a small amount of grading and dealing within the last 3 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread