**OPINION** What do you do with your treasure?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few nice items are in a safe deposit box. it's almost empty. Clad I keep and I've started putting in cleaned out mayonnaise jars. Civil War and other relics in small boxes.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old bureau filled with relics, jewelry and interesting finds. Boring stuff (shotgun shells, oxen shoes, etc.) goes in cardboard boxes. I put all my decent coins in cardboard flips and keep them in an album.

Not all of this stuff is treasure, but here's a few photos of my setup:

DSC06359.JPG DSC06361.JPG DSC06362.JPG

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1/3 to property owner, 1/3 to historical society, 1/3 for me. I buy small treasure chests for property owners, and fill them with the finds I have dupes of or thing I know will make them happy (mercs, Rosies, wheat pennies, etc). I keep early copper and silver coins and the best colonial era artifacts, unless the latter has some significance to the town. I also give the owner a history of their property and use the objects I find to provide examples. Of course, some people insist that I keep everything, which is nice.

This has led to a talk at one historical society, and people contacting me with invitations to come to their historical homes, cellar holes and/or farms to do my thing. I also have formed some nice relationships and a solid reputation/references when I do contact folks by letter to request to dig. I have free reign to hunt at my convenience on over 2000 acres and a few dozen properties which contain the earliest European history in our area.

I was always honest and generous with folks, but after meeting a completely selfish and unscrupulous older detectorist earlier this year (never shared with or compensated owners, hunted without permission, etc) I became committed to my approach. I want to be trusted and free to roam 10 years from now, with a clear conscience, and a love for history and objects that is never stronger than my respect for people. I have become a steward for local history, not just some guy squirreling everything away for myself.

I have to say, I love how things have gone so far!

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I keep all of my finds except modern coins....they are saved and then reinvested into something of VF condition and higher.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this subject has come up before and I revealed that I keep mine scattered on the beaches across the country.well since then I've noticed that some members have been helping themselves to it ( I'm not revealing names)but you can return any said treasure to me and no questions will be asked

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Display case at my house, and the very historical stuff on loan at local museum. My sundial is on display at museum, along with cool local historical finds. Such as the old known dog licence known for my town (1906), along with 2 other dog licences. 2 WWI dog tags belonging to a soldier from my town, and a bottle made in my town in the 1880's. My treasure does not have that much monetary value, but tons of historical value, and that is what matters to me :). I also filled a very large curio shelf with 150 late 1800's bottles I have found in various trash pits. I gotta hope it never falls lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread