Small request for a noob

Pigpen82

Oct 18, 2016
Va
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So like many others before me I am looking to purchase my first metal detector due to my own misfortune. I lost my palladium wedding band in my yard last weekend and thought rather then paying someone it might be fun to do my own searching. Who knows maybe I'll find some other fun stuff in my yard while I'm at it.

My question is I am not sure what type to get. I did some reading and I see that on the low end a bounty hunter tk4 seems ok but will it be able to detect that type of metal? In the medium end the Garrett ace 250 or maybe high end the 350 seem better. Would the lower end tk4 do the job( or would there be much of an advantage with the few extra hundred bucks for the 250 or 350? It's very possible I could be hit by the bug after hopefully finding my ring and like to continue but who knows :-)

Thanks for the help in advance!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
1st - Noticed this is your very first post. So, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
2nd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Either of those two Garretts would work well. I use a Tesoso Cibola and it kicks arse and has a lifetime warranty to the original owner. I have owned Garretts and Tesoros both, but finally settled on the Tesoro family. There are a few of the Cibola's on Ebay used for around $200. If one ever goes up, the company will generally fix for about $50. I sent them a used one which I broke and they fixed it for $75 including a new case and a couple other pieces.

Biggest part of metal detecting is 1) don't buy a toy 2) turn the machine ON and keep extra batteries around (not kidding) 3) get the coil close to the ground, go slow and 4) be persistent. Some of us after our "breaks", turn the machine off and then fail to turn back "on" when we start out again. I would never do that though, no, never, not like this past weekend....

Good luck. You should be able to find it.

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV may be good for what you are looking to do. My friend has one and it work great!

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will find that ring and you will find other cool stuff in your yard, and the bug will bite you and you'll be hooked. And I agree with what the others said, don't buy a toy. Get something like the Ace 250 or the Tesoro Compadre. No need to get anything more complicated at this time, but once you mastered one of those machines you'll want to upgrade, and when you do you will have a better understanding of what you're looking for. Good luck and keep us posted, and welcome to Treasure Net.
-Dr. Witty

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
the ace 250 will do very nicely and before you run out to your yard watch videos on u tube for extra instruction. I had mine 2 years and was ready to junk it till i watched u tube. learn what high and low pitch tones mean. Tape different metals to sheets of paper and spread them out in your yard to learn there tones , especial palladium if you can. Take it to a jewelry store if you have to, to swing it over palladium and you can tune out every thing but palladium. it may still give a false signal on some other stuff but it will go nuts on your Ring Good luck.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.
If you decide to purchase, I think you will get bit by the treasure hunting bug.
If you need help from someone who may have more skill then a newbie,, you might want to file a Lost Item Report with www.lostmystuff.net .
It is a free service and I know they have volunteers in Virginia.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Vaquero has adjustable ground balance which you will probably need in VA. Or a $160 Compadre

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread