Oct 9, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Fisher Gold bug
Vibra-King Pulse Induction 750
Whites TRX pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what you are thinking when it comes to not pricing but the least expensive one that i have heard about is the Minelab Go-Find 60 Metal Detector priced around $ 250.00 I hear it is water proof and not sure how it works in salt water but might want to check some online videos but the price is pretty inexpensive.. I use a Whites MX Sport that works well in salt water and can compensate for salt beach and salt water plus it is water proof as well..Actually has a beach mode program built in.. Then there is the AT PRO.. I also hear it is a very good detector and is also water proof.. Both are Priced about $ 750.00.. Anyhow I hope this helps but check with others and also look at youtube reviews, etc to help you make a good decision that works best for you..

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
want to detect in the surf? underwater? want discrimination?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salt water no more than knee deep. And yes to discriminate. Under $1k as I won't use it too much, so spending a lot more than that would be pointless. Not going to scuba or anything like that. Just want to go in no more than 20' out and not more than 2' deep. It's just sometimes fun to play in the water. Got 2nd gold item of the year at the low tide mark this past weekend.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey,
I have used the AT PRO in fresh water and recovered and returned numerous gold wedding bands, silver rings, and class rings. I really, really, tried to get it to work in salt water but it was a no go with too many ghost signals. (Salt water is a conductor and it will drive most machines crazy).
I purchased a machine that came highly recommended by a guy who has grown a set of gills over many years of salt water hunting. It is the Excalibur by Minelab.
I get in the water when the Temps go into the high 80's, or 90's. That is an average of 20 hunts a year. My first Excalibur paid for itself over 2 years.
I know for sure that this machine really works well in salt water. Why invest in a machine that you know everyone has had problems with when going into salt water?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best bet is look for a used excal in your price range. Go Find Series is not water proof and a single freq detector, the design will clog up with sand in the telescoping shaft and folding User Interface if you set it down in dry sand at the beach to dig targets.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the Excalibur a PI machine? Just got back from a long trip and too tired to look up the thing. Enjoyed listening to WABC radio out of NYC. BTW the Canadians are paying a lot of attention to the election. Maybe more than we do. I won't be getting the AT Pro.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey... No, the Excal is a VLF. It's basically a waterproof Sov.

I would suggest a Minelab Sovereign, doesn't matter what model. As long as you're not dunking the control box, it rules the beach. I ran my Sov XS in Cape May NJ recently. I ran ran it wide open with the SENS at MAX (just after AUTO). Not so much as a squawk in interference. If metal was under the coil, I found it. If you need to dunk the control box, the Excal is your choice.

Did I mention, the Sov is a great dirt machine as well?

I've used an AT Pro at a saltwater beach, it's not impossible, but just more finicky (constant GB setting, backing off the SENS, keeping the coil completely submerged or dry, etc). In dry sand, it's great, but the closer you get to wet sand, the more you need to adjust and back it off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For up to a few inches of salt water my Tesoro Cibola kicks it. Found a humongous gold and diamond ring at the water's edge (about 1 foot away from the low tide mark, and just found another 14k earring the wave just washed up. I just don't want to drop it, so would have to have something that would go underwater. Too late in the season to go in the water much now, will take a serious look at the Excal over winter. I also don't want to dig a foot deep in the ocean gravel beds. Getting too old for that.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For up to a few inches of salt water my Tesoro Cibola kicks it. Found a humongous gold and diamond ring at the water's edge (about 1 foot away from the low tide mark, and just found another 14k earring the wave just washed up. I just don't want to drop it, so would have to have something that would go underwater. Too late in the season to go in the water much now, will take a serious look at the Excal over winter. I also don't want to dig a foot deep in the ocean gravel beds. Getting too old for that.

The ATPro would be just as good if not better than the Cibby since the AT had adjustable GB and is waterproof to 10'. You are still better off with a good used excal since it is multiple freq and will run much smother, deeper and about as good as it gets for NOT digging junk iron.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I only dig iron, bigger pieces, at Civil War camps or colonial sites.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey... No, the Excal is a VLF. It's basically a waterproof Sov.

I would suggest a Minelab Sovereign, doesn't matter what model. As long as you're not dunking the control box, it rules the beach. I ran my Sov XS in Cape May NJ recently. I ran ran it wide open with the SENS at MAX (just after AUTO). Not so much as a squawk in interference. If metal was under the coil, I found it. If you need to dunk the control box, the Excal is your choice.

Did I mention, the Sov is a great dirt machine as well?

I've used an AT Pro at a saltwater beach, it's not impossible, but just more finicky (constant GB setting, backing off the SENS, keeping the coil completely submerged or dry, etc). In dry sand, it's great, but the closer you get to wet sand, the more you need to adjust and back it off.
If your going to buy a sovereign keep in mind only the Sov GT is supported by Minelab.

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab does have its service problems.....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't waste money on AT Pro, it will false anywhere near salt water. Sov GT is great but you don't want to get the box wet. Excal or even a CZ-21, both are very good in saltwater.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need something I can drop in the ocean, because I know it's going to happen sooner or later.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for a used excal...

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need something I can drop in the ocean, because I know it's going to happen sooner or later.

You look at the ML Excal, Whites MX Sport or Beach hunter 300, Fisher CZ21, or 1280X, Tesoro Tigershark, or Garrett Sea Hunter II.
The MX is the only "new" machine out of the bunch with a view screen. And most can handle a dunking.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Fisher CZ is good and Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II are what I prefer and use. The CZ for upper (dry) beach and Garrett PI from there to the water line. The CZ handles the trash well and the PI Garrett goes deep in the less trashy lower beach. Good luck :icon_thumright:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Excalibur or CZ21, to many trashy areas for a PI and the AT Pro does poor near the ocean with the rushing water. Second choice would be a Whites Beach Hunter ID..... Winter is coming, should be some good deals out there..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread