Members who want "tips" about certain areas- how do the veterans handle this?

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie Members who want "tips" about certain areas- how do the veterans handle this?

Hi all,

I've noticed that I've received an uptick in unsolicited private messages lately from what appears to be newbie metal detectorists asking for "tips" about the areas I regularly hunt. After years of learning the hobby, laborious research, countless hours searching and very modest success, lately I've made some pretty significant finds (for me anyway), and posted about them here and another website. With that, though, I've received increased requests of "help" from others who want to hunt the areas. To be clear- they are not asking about metal detectors, or techniques, or research methods, etc. Basically, they want to know where to find the goodies. I've never met them and don't plan to. How do you guys handle this? Especially from people who have contributed nothing to the forum and some who just signed up?

I was a newbie once myself and am continuously learning, and I like to help people. However, I never once messaged any of the veterans hunters in my area to ask about where to go, specific finds in those places, or anything too personal, etc. because I know the blood, sweat, and tears that go into finding good spots to hunt. Do you just ignore the emails? If it was someone I knew or even someone from here who is known and/or contributed I would be much more inclined to help out with more specific info. But an anonymous newbie, especially one that gives an attitude?

This latest guy just wrote me (no posts, just signed up) for information so I gave some general info. and what to be careful of in this specific area I regularly hunt. His reply was in a pithy tone saying that he didn't want "warnings" and that I "must not have any experiences" to share. I was a little put off by the sense of entitlement he seemed to convey.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone is different of course, some folks keep that all to their chest and do not share with anyone, some folks will share with anyone, some folks only share with close friends, some folks only share with people whom they are equal to or that they look up to.

My self if I have information on the great spots I hunt I will share that all day, I promote to new people the hobby and I am happy to show them how it can be a form of income. If I walk up and see someone hunting in an area I often hunt I will go over and introduce my self and tell them where I have had luck at in the area.

New or veteran hunters, does not much matter really. I like seeing someone smile, I know how it feels to find something great, but it is pretty cool to see other peoples reactions when they too find something cool.

But mostly what I have seen is that you can share all day, but rarely are you actually treated the way you have treated them. No matter though, cannot expect that everyone in the world would rather see other happy and help folks out, if that where the case then the world would be a better place.

But if folks want tips on great spots I hunt throughout Europe, North Africa and Scandinavia then please feel free to just PM me. I expect nothing in return, but I do expect you to go out have fun, dispose of your trash properly and it would be pretty cool if you would come back on here and share your finds with the rest of us because that is one of the coolest things about this forum.

Happy Hunting folks.

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But mostly what I have seen is that you can share all day, but rarely are you actually treated the way you have treated them. No matter though, cannot expect that everyone in the world would rather see other happy and help folks out, if that where the case then the world would be a better place.

This has been my experience as well, unfortunately. It's ironic that a lot of those who constantly try to mine others for information, are so hesitant to share it.

You're a better man than I am in one respect- If I suspect someone is here just to mine information about hot spots, I will be reluctant to share (especially if their tone is one of entitlement). If they've contributed and/or I've gotten to know them and/or it's an exchange of information, I am much more willing to help out.

BuckRogers2000

Aug 24, 2016
Logan, Utah
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a newbie. My original goal was to treasure hunt with my wife, for this past anniversary trip. I spent a considerable amount of time and money researching, purchasing equipment and learning the ropes.

I actually had a great older gentleman stop and converse with me about treasure hunting...he came back weeks later and GAVE me some of his Gold Prospectors magazines!!!

These people, however, who unceremoniously demand information, are bereft of patience and manners. I recommend you respond as you see fit on that particular day. I perceive these types to be unsuited to this activity.

Thank you for your contributions to this forum!

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a newbie. My original goal was to treasure hunt with my wife, for this past anniversary trip. I spent a considerable amount of time and money researching, purchasing equipment and learning the ropes.

I actually had a great older gentleman stop and converse with me about treasure hunting...he came back weeks later and GAVE me some of his Gold Prospectors magazines!!!

These people, however, who unceremoniously demand information, are bereft of patience and manners. I recommend you respond as you see fit on that particular day. I perceive these types to be unsuited to this activity.

Thank you for your contributions to this forum!

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Buck. I've been helped by so many of the veteran detectorists on this site and another over the last 6 years that I owe them a lot. I still probably ask as many technical questions and questions about my finds as anyone.

I do think it's important to help each other out and great to see others picking up the hobby. I'm extremely fortunate that my girlfriend loves detecting and we often hunt together. I knew she was a keeper after that! :occasion14:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
This has been my experience as well, unfortunately. It's ironic that a lot of those who constantly try to mine others for information, are so hesitant to share it.

You're a better man than I am in one respect- If I suspect someone is here just to mine information about hot spots, I will be reluctant to share (especially if their tone is one of entitlement). If they've contributed and/or I've gotten to know them and/or it's an exchange of information, I am much more willing to help out.

No I do not think I am better in that aspect because I have never been in your shoes or hunted and lived in your area.

Meaning, that it is very rare to run into another hunter who is not part of my family. I do see them of course but it is only about 2-3 times a month. I highly promote it and show people how easy it is and how a machine will pay for it self in a matter of months as a new person or a week or day as a vet. I have even stopped hunting and handed over my MD to people and shown them for an hour how to, what to look for, where to do it and let them keep the finds.

I do this because many Europeans have this really dumb idea how they should live life, the government and society say this is how you live and work, never question and now go make 2K Euro a month the rest of you life.

Well my family brings in about 300K Euro a year MDing, diving and Prospecting; would we do this well if everyone and their mother had an MD like in the US, heck no. Would I share intel on great spots if everyone had an MD here and I was experiencing what many people do experience in areas with larger populated hunters, I would like to say I would, but deep down inside if I am honest I would say that chances are I would not if the vast wanted to be greedy.

Treat people how they want to be treated, we are adults here and can smell through the BS and we know when someone is trying to source us or juice us for intel. It is in our American nature to throw our guard up when someone is trying to source you in an area that is over populated with hunters.

Offer still stands though for Europe, the treasure is vast here and can be shared and with how most of these people think it will stay there if the few of us do not get it out of the ground.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
perdidogringo I like your post. I think it's rude to ask someone that has put so much time in researching and detecting to just give up their area. I can say though I just met a young man that I had been talking to on FB yesterday. We detected an area that the wife and I had detected once and really didn't find much. Had a great time. He found a ww2 button, 1905 barber quarter and a wheatie. I found the usual trash, bullets and a pocket watch back. I am going to take him to a few area's we have been hunting. I think that if someone was good enough to take you somewhere then the outcome would be different. But to just have someone msg you and want your info is someone you really want nothing to do with.

HH!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to say those are the "Me - Now" culture. There are many posts on here that identify what types of places are good to hunt as well as how to hunt those areas for whatever they like to dig. They want immediate gratification with little labor or time expended. I am rather stingy with my sites and with whom I hunt with. If they are gracious and good people I take them under my wing with one stipulation. I will teach them on public lands or a permission that they secured. If things go good, maybe I have a hunting partner. All of those I mentored did not find treasure as quickly as they liked and soon left the hobby or rarely swing the coil. To be a successful coin shooter this hobby it takes patience, persistence, research, the love of history and a little luck.

GL & HH

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
People are a strange lot. You just never know what you will get. Just because we all like metal detectors, does not mean that we have anything else in common.

I looked at your threads, you have found some nice stuff! I don't blame people for hitting you up, you found three cobs in one day... it doesn't get much better than that!

As alluded to in the first sentence, people come in all shapes and sizes. These poor newbies see all that killer stuff you find, and want in on the action. Remember, some people just don't how to approach the topic without seeming brash. Not everyone understands building rapport or how to be subtle. I suspect that these people do not even realize that they are asking for something inappropriate. IMO, best bet is to send them to the park or the school, heck, go with them, and try to help them.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Perdidogringo, good topic/subject. I get that a lot over the years, as I've been hunting my region for about 40 yrs. now (since I was in Jr. High school). So I tend to know what the oldtimers plus myself hit or haven't hit, etc... Thus yes, I get asked for tips, asked to get taken to sites and shown ropes , etc....

For me personally, since I love md'ing so much, I have no problem getting out to swing. Ie.: you don't have to twist my arm ! I just guage by the person asking if they're the type bound to be putting the detector in the closet later or not. If they're "half-hearted", then no, I don't divulge my sites. But if they seem equally passionate, then my terms are: "reciprocate with like-research/sites, and I'll show you some ropes/sites".

And more often then not, they do reciprocate with research too. So it becomes a tit-for-tat. But sure, there's a few that seem to go only one -way. Oh well.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to get the same treatment so, I simply stopped posting my finds.

Not that I find anything great, but I have now just started posting my finds on my page. That way I figure if your interested to see what I have you can go there and see what I have found. The only problem is I haven't posted all those pull tabs yet! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. One thing I forgot to add- I politely told the latest guy to browse my threads to see what experiences I have had. I've been pretty good about posting my better days and even some not-so-good days. He apparently didn't want to do that and expected me to provide him a personal message documenting my successes in this particular area. An area that can be dangerous for a number of reasons if you don't know what you're doing.

The metal detecting hobby has given me so much and I want to help others, for sure, but in every population there will be a clown or 2, I guess.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. One thing I forgot to add- I politely told the latest guy to browse my threads to see what experiences I have had. I've been pretty good about posting my better days and even some not-so-good days. He apparently didn't want to do that and expected me to provide him a personal message documenting my successes in this particular area. An area that can be dangerous for a number of reasons if you don't know what you're doing.

The metal detecting hobby has given me so much and I want to help others, for sure, but in every population there will be a clown or 2, I guess.

If you only hit one or two clowns, you have done well sir!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to get the same treatment so, I simply stopped posting my finds.
To each his own, but if everyone felt this way this sure would be a boring place. Like stated above, people can be funny. Just have to take them at face value until they show their cards. Usually don't take long.

HH RN

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
To each his own, but if everyone felt this way this sure would be a boring place. Like stated above, people can be funny. Just have to take them at face value until they show their cards. Usually don't take long.

HH RN

I was thinking the same thing: Show & tell is part of the hobby afterall. What good is a hole in one during golf, for instance, if you can't gloat to your friends ? What good is winning the super bowl, if the winning team can't gloat a bit ? And yes, we all love to vicariously live in reading and seeing other's finds, comparing, being challenged with eye candy, etc...

If someone is really bothered that ..... by posting their finds .... that regional newbies might say "can I tag along?" or "can you show me a good place ?", then there's a magic button called the "delete" button. Where you can simply elect to say "no".

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad I read this thread I haven't been posting my finds for some time ,not even sure why I stopped but I think I'll start again.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive helped 100s of TH'ers over the years - both on land and sea
usually I send link to articles I wrote to get them started - then will work with people thru PMs
ive been in the hobby since 1975 at age 12
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm glad I read this thread I haven't been posting my finds for some time ,not even sure why I stopped but I think I'll start again.
Dunno how I missed it until today but glad I read this thread too. As a newbie to this hobby I did much research on my first equipment purchases before pulling the trigger and buying. As someone who has always had a deep interest in history I have utilized the resources I have long been aware of to locate potential spots to hunt. I attempt to research an area, historically and legally, as much as I possibly can before even thinking about loading up and going. I've burned up a few tanks of gas scouting an area and not even having equipment with me.

After posting my first notable find (notable to me that is), I was contacted by a very experienced TN member in my area asking if I'd like to get together and go detecting. It was an offer I not only accepted, but was deeply honored to have received. We didn't go to one of his good spots, though I'm sure we would have had I not offered a spot first. I didn't accept his invitation in order to be led to one of his honey spots. I valued the opportunity to go hunting with an experienced person in order to gain basic detecting knowledge and experience. As a sign of good faith I offered up a spot I had been researching and off we went. While we didn't find anything, we did locate valuable information of the area to hopefully locate the spot one of these days. I have since shared with him info on a location I recently hunted that produced my last find. We have tried to coordinate a hunt together where he has offered to take me to one of his sites. Unfortunately our schedules haven't been able to synch lately, but they will eventually!

Bottom line, I guess I assumed that it was common courtesy to "bring something to the table". If I can't offer something, why should I expect something? I feel an experienced detectorist always does just that by providing their time to help out a newbie. Being given their honey spots should be the last thing a newbie is concerned about. IMHO every newbie should be asking what they can bring to table in return, other than just desire.

My point in responding is to hopefully address fellow newbies. Asking someone technical questions, pointers, equipment or research suggestions...fine (and I think no one on this site will deny those requests). Go out and use that info to find some good spots to hunt. It can be frustrating at times and take some work. Hey, as I've learned that's part of the hobby. You may be surprised to later receive some unsolicited invitations to some of those honey spots. If not, so what?! You've got your own spots now!!

BTW, the hunt with the fellow TN member? No, we didn't locate my site but I still had a great time outdoors, got more experience with my detector and found a new friend. Anything we may have found would have been an added bonus. What more can you ask for?!

-Rant over!

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very tight lipped about finds and areas. I have found in my experience that there is a pirate or vulture in every detectorist. Pirates are bad enough but when the vultures descend upon you, you have big problems. I have had many people contact me because of my historical location and I give them nothing and make the Scurvy dogs walk the plank. HAR HAR HAR !!!!! Which reminds me that I need to sharpen the edges on my cutting tools. Blackbeard (1).jpg til-vultures-640.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread