digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to an 1850's permission over the weekend. This is right down the street from another 100+ yr. old. homestead. Both of the properties I'm getting the same Targets that are roughly 1900 to 1930's to modern. Most of the targets are from 6 to 10 inches. Soil is 50/50 black dirt/sand. There are also alot of iffy signals. Questions:

1. When I get deep iffy signals where it doesn't register on the display, will the sound change on iffy signals, like it does on shallower targets? They haven't been, which obviously means maybe just iron.

2. Here we go. Has anybody ever used the Garrett Gti 2500 Pro with the eagle eye with the depth multiplier?

I just need to get deeper on both properties.

Currently I'm using an ATPRO. I've tried about all of the different settings.

Any other machines out there in roughly the Gti 2500 range, that you recommend.

Side note, I did find a buried farm tractor with the AT. That was different.

Thanks for your opinions. HH

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Deep enough for you?

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A "farm tractor find"? I think I need pictures of that one......

I'm going out there on Sunday, to do a better dig on it so I can get some pictures:icon_thumright: Both properties are owned by the same family, and have been told they always just buried things. The house on the first farm I hunted, burned in 1978, and they dug a huge hole and buried the whole thing. I've found window weights, and other hardware from doors, cabinets etc. The house was built in 1890, and is buried out of the reach of my AT. That's why I'm thinking of purchasing a metal detector that can go deeper.

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yikes that's a lot of trash I'd stay away from the house proper. Try looking for things like the outhouse and the property between the front porch and the street. Also around were the mail box would have been. Don. p.s. I like the gti 2500 try a bigger coil you don't want to go too deep do you.

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
yikes that's a lot of trash I'd stay away from the house proper. Try looking for things like the outhouse and the property between the front porch and the street. Also around were the mail box would have been. Don. p.s. I like the gti 2500 try a bigger coil you don't want to go too deep do you.

I asked the family members if they knew where the outhouse was , and nobody knew where it was. I've hit the property in between the house and the street. '45 nickel, 67 Quarter, and '83 dime. They put an addition on at some time, and I think they just spread the dirt from the addition, over to the front of house. Makes the target's deeper. Alot of iffy's but sound like iron. Square nails??
Thanks for the input on the 2500. I'm in search for the IHC that has to be there.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would ask if I could excavate the area for their own historical artifacts.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
A "farm tractor find"? I think I need pictures of that one......
Was not uncommon to bury implements back then. Also backyard trash dumps. My buddy had to remove a car that was buried on the site of his new home construction.

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A day in my mind make a visitor lose theirs

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GTI w/ 12.5 coil... set on all metal.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using the AT PRO with the 8 x 5 inch coil, I recovered a Mercury Dime and some wheat pennies at 9 to 10 inches. The stock coil will take you a little deeper.
The Garrett GTI 2500 Pro W/Eagle Eye is an $1,800. Machine. I have owned and used numerous Garrett machines over the years. I have a lot of respect for their capabilities. However. If you are going to invest that kind of money to gain depth,, I would suggest you seriously consider a Minelab CTX 3030 w/ 17 inch eliptical coil.
You can pick up a package deal for about $1,800.
JMHO
Good luck &HH,, Kevin

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Using the AT PRO with the 8 x 5 inch coil, I recovered a Mercury Dime and some wheat pennies at 9 to 10 inches. The stock coil will take you a little deeper.
The Garrett GTI 2500 Pro W/Eagle Eye is an $1,800. Machine. I have owned and used numerous Garrett machines over the years. I have a lot of respect for their capabilities. However. If you are going to invest that kind of money to gain depth,, I would suggest you seriously consider a Minelab CTX 3030 w/ 17 inch eliptical coil.
You can pick up a package deal for about $1,800.
JMHO
Good luck &HH,, Kevin

Thanks, guess I'll stick with what I have for now. Maybe CTX 3030 for my Christmas present:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to know what it rang up as and what his settings were!

It rang a solid 82, which is why I originally dug. When I originally start digging, I went over it again, and just the corners of the top cover of what I think is a tractor, rang 82. Alot of iron on property has those high tones, which is really aggravating. Went out yesterday, but didn't get to dig it up to get a picture, because only had about an hour. Hope to get there this weekend. Thank god it's sandy soil!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread