Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, Today I showed my CS wreath buckle to a dealer. It's NOT for sale but I just wanted to get his opinion. I did not tell him that I wasn't going to sale it and just wanted his opinion and to see what he would offer me. He was not impressed and all but said he thought it was a fake. When I asked him what he would offer me, he said he wasn't interested. This really pissed me off but it did get me to thinking. I know it's real and so do the two guys that were with me when I found it and that's really all that matters.
Here's the thing that got me thinking.... What if something happened and the wife needed to sale my collection? Is there anyone that can authenticate things like this? Like I said it just got me thinking and I thought it would be a good discussion. What's your thoughts?

HH RN

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am curious, did you tell him where and how you found it? Plus how does he know it is a fake. Seems odd or you just happened to find a knuckle head.

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am curious, did you tell him where and how you found it? Plus how does he know it is a fake. Seems odd or you just happened to find a knuckle head.
Gave him the whole story, even were it came from without giving away the specific place. Also told him about the write up in Western and Eastern Treasures magazine. Yes he was a jerk. That's why I'd love to get it authenticated, so someday my family won't have to deal with that.

HH RN

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd do a search on the internet for people that can do that sort of thing. I know watching the pawn stars they have a guy from the area who seems very knowledgeable. Send out some feeler emails with some pictures and see who can help.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try one of the BIG reputable Civil War Shops, like The Horse Soldier in Gettysburg or Lee's Headquarters in Fredericksburg, VA. These days, you could dig up a LIVE T. Rex and people would tell you its' CG. Computer Generated. Steve Silvia has one in Orange Co, Va also.

I've been done over a few times buying coins, like twice, so I'm getting very gun shy myself. Got really done over on an antique. Horse Soldier nailed it as not quite as described. They do great. Bill down at Lee's Headquarters I've known for years also. But I won't tell how many years. During one of my 9 lives.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
FWIW - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found a number of threads talking about "real or fake." Since you didn't include a picture, etc. - you might want to browse these threads and see if they apply to your find. Unfortunately, just because you "dug it up" doesn't make it real - just means it was lost years ago - maybe it was fake when lost? Anyway - take a look...

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
FWIW - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found a number of threads talking about "real or fake." Since you didn't include a picture, etc. - you might want to browse these threads and see if they apply to your find. Unfortunately, just because you "dug it up" doesn't make it real - just means it was lost years ago - maybe it was fake when lost? Anyway - take a look...

Thanks vpnavy, I'll check it out. You can look at banner for story and pictures

HH RN

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, Today I showed my CS wreath buckle to a dealer. It's NOT for sale but I just wanted to get his opinion. I did not tell him that I wasn't going to sale it and just wanted his opinion and to see what he would offer me. He was not impressed and all but said he thought it was a fake. When I asked him what he would offer me, he said he wasn't interested. This really pissed me off but it did get me to thinking. I know it's real and so do the two guys that were with me when I found it and that's really all that matters.
Here's the thing that got me thinking.... What if something happened and the wife needed to sale my collection? Is there anyone that can authenticate things like this? Like I said it just got me thinking and I thought it would be a good discussion. What's your thoughts?

HH RN

I'm sorry did you send a picture of it to us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry did you send a picture of it to us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Click on link in vpnavy last post or look at my banner find under avatar

HH RN

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relax and stay calm. Check with the experts. Show pictures, and maybe members here can help you. Good hunting and good luck.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the dealers offer strikes me, as he thought it was a fake, AND did not make any offer.
I would be very suspect if he thought it was a fake, and made a reduced offer.

Fake, reproductions, and replicas of the Civil War

Please provide updated images that are closeup of the front and back.

From your original images, it came out of the ground that way?

2pyb8yg.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20161026_141421166.jpg IMG_20161026_141437206.jpg IMG_20161026_141454027.jpg IMG_20161026_141510612.jpg

HH RN

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey seekerGH, I have communicated with relic man through email and he seems to agree that it's authentic.

HH RN

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it is, looks like a nice artifact.

I was asking about the condition that it came out of the ground, it seems very light colored

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread