Whites M6 or Minelab x-terra 70?

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
White's M6 or Minelab x-terra 70?

What is everyones opinions on the best model? I have been racking my brain! I would like to do mostly, coins and jewlery in parks and yards, but would also like to do some cellar holes and beaches, too. I understand that, thats an awfull lot for any one detector to handle perfectly, but I cannot afford one of everything. Is there another model to consider maybe? I am looking for dependibility and long lasting, too. Thanks :-\

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
Re: White's M6 or Minelab x-terra 70?

I've had my M6 for sevaral months now, my first detector. It was very easy to learn to use, does a good job at identifying stuff, and I have gotten decent depth out of it. The only thing on your list I haven't done is beach hunting, but the M6 has a saltwater setting, so I believe it would work for that also.

At this point, I'm 100% satisfied with this machine!

No experience with the Minelab, so I can't help you there.

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

Thanks Rowdy, anyone else with an opinion?

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

I did a lot of research before I bought my M6. I live close to many beaches and parks, playgrounds, and schools. I have only been detecting since June 2007 but have covered both land and sand. I have found much clad and some jewlery and I am happy with my detector selection. I do not know anything about the Minelab x-terra but believe it functions best on land. The M6 does very well on the beach and wet sand. Just my opinion but I would lean towards the M6.
HH Roy

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

i think it depends on what you want to do, they m6 is easyer to start out with, very good machine, but the 70 i think would be more versitale,the guy i bought my t2 from had 4 machines, all new to see what he preferedhe keeped the m6, worked best for him for park hunting, my buddy has the xt70, we hunt old logging, minning type of sites from the 1860's on, would like to get a 70 as a backup

Helo

Jun 18, 2007
S.La.
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Whites M6 ,Whites Eagle II,Fisher 1270, Tesoro Conq. Umax w/manual G/B ,Discovery 3300

Hi, lost at sea, I have been using the M6 for the past 6 weeks in parks and schoolyards and it is fantastic. ;D For durability I think the whites metal box machines are tops.I haven't used the M6 on the beach yet but it has a beach auto track GB setting and other users like it.I can't comment on the X 70, but there is no learning curve on the M6, it goes deep, has a bunch of optional coils available,and is fun to use.If i knew how good this machine was before I got it ,I would have gotten the MXT instead, Its the big brother of the M6,has a few more options, but runs on the same freq. and uses the same coils. ..Its a choice you have to make,you probably won't go wrong with either one... Good Luck,,HH..Rich. in S.La. 8)

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I say the M-6!!! The x-terra does have the option of frequency of coils but they are a bit high priced.. Did I mention I have a M-6 ;D!! I've had 6 detectors in the past few months and this one stays!!
Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread