New To This Forum

kurtak

Nov 5, 2016
Central Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello

I go by my real name Kurt & I am new to this forum (just joined a couple hours ago) so have only done a small amount of searching the contents & info here so far

That said - I am "not" per say a Treasure Hunter - though I have spent a fair amount of time involved in both placer & hard rock mining during a close to 20 years period of time living in Northern California (which was like 13 - 15 years ago) --- 6 years ago I moved back home to Wisconsin to take care of my mom & dad - mom passed away back in February so am still taking care of my 93 year old dad

Here is where I "maybe" of some help to this forum --- I am a "refiner" of PMs (Precious Metals) the vast majority of PMs I get are "recovered" from electronics (though I work with PMs from other sources as well) which are then (after recovery) refined to the pure form (999 plus)

Having browsed only a few threads in general chat &/or prospecting I see that there has been at least some discussion about melting/smelting and as well discussion about using &/or working with chemical processes --- & from what I can see - so far - is that information in this area (chemical &/or melting/smelting process) is limited & therefore somewhat of misinformation &/or incomplete information

So - although I likely wont get to much involved in discussion about actual "treasure hunting" I can most certainly be of help to questions about working with chemicals (& safety is ALWAYS my number one concern here) as well as questions about melting &/or smelting

I am not exactly sure how much time I can spend on this as I am also a "very" active member on 2 other forums that discuss PM recovery & refining as well as time I have to spend actually refining (which pays the bills) as well as time to take care of my dad --- what I can say - is any time I do spend posting it will be done with as much complete &/or accurate information as possible & with safety the number one concern at all times

I will now spend a few days looking back at some of the older threads - which may well lead to my reviving some of them with proper information concerning the use of chemicals &/or melting/smelting --- & just to be clear (so as not to offend anyone) I am not saying there is not good information here about chemicals, melting & smelting --- just that what I have read so far could certainly use some feed back for the sake of correction, completeness & addressing of safety concerns

Finally - I would like to say that this looks like a really AWESOME discussion forum & I am glad I found it - & hope I can be of some help in the lesser focus - but related discussion of chemical work &/or melting/smelting

Kurt

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I don't have information on the topic you're bringing up, but just wanted to say : "Welcome". Most everyone here is hunting for the Precious metals (ie.: treasure hunting, metal detecting, etc.....). And is probably giving very little thought to the refining process of said metals. We just ship it off to the refiners/processor Co's when it comes to sell for intrinsic value items. Never gave much thought as to how they do it. I just want my check to be mailed to me :)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kurt,
Welcome to the Forum !!
I have no doubt your contributions will be well received and appreciated especially in areas that can use "some feed back for the sake of correction, completeness & addressing of safety concerns".
Jump in any time; the water is warm.
Don......

OP
OP
K

kurtak

Nov 5, 2016
Central Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have information on the topic you're bringing up, but just wanted to say : "Welcome". Most everyone here is hunting for the Precious metals (ie.: treasure hunting, metal detecting, etc.....). And is probably giving very little thought to the refining process of said metals. We just ship it off to the refiners/processor Co's when it comes to sell for intrinsic value items. Never gave much thought as to how they do it. I just want my check to be mailed to me :)

Yes - I am aware the "most" here wont have a lot of interest in actual refining processes (other then maybe as a curiosity) & that this (refining) is not the real purpose of this forum

However - in a "few" threads that I saw in my initial "browsing" I saw some questions that came up concerning melting/smelting &/or working with chemical that were questionable in the content of info provided

So - though it is not the main focus of this forum - it is certainly a related side issue that comes up from time to time - which happens to be a field in which I can most certainly (& am willing) to help out in

Edit to add; - & thanks for the welcome to this forum

Kurt

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Checked out a forum on recovering pm from circuit boards. Pretty interesting stuff. Welcome to T-Net.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread