Can a utility type locator be used as a metal detector ?

Tractor Nut

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2016
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Coin Hunter (Old)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
In my opinion, and you can take it with a grain of salt, it may be too much of a detector and the reason why is that it will detect some pretty deep items that you may not be prepared to dig that far for every time. If you have it, try it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the type locator where one end has to be connected (ie.: one end of the pipe) to wires, in order to trace it ? If so, then no, it has no practical application to md'ing or caches.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have used several utility locators, all required a tone be put on the tracer wire...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beg to differ on the ALL statement. Fisher made the FX3 Ferro probe no need for a direct connection needed. I have one that I use doing building searches. As far as locating, works good. Traced all my utilities, and was 9" closer on my gas line than the city locator guy. So far military ammo box at 7 3/4'. I've got a coffee can full of can lids buried 3' and it bangs on it loud & clear. Not too shabby for a dinosaur machine! Also note a lot of you other old farts can attest to some two box detectors that will locate utilities without a direct connection.

Hey if you can get one for a good price, it will be another good addition to the arsenal!

OP
OP
Tractor Nut

Tractor Nut

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2016
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It works both ways, a direct signal is as you say, connect to a pipeline by a test wire, valve setting, ect, is by far best, but you can and I have used it just as you would a metal detector and it will locate for miles. Keep in mind some of these pipelines were 20'' and miles long, so there was a lot of steel being toned. I was not sure if anyone has ever found small items with this type of locater or not.

OP
OP
Tractor Nut

Tractor Nut

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2016
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beg to differ on the ALL statement. Fisher made the FX3 Ferro probe no need for a direct connection needed. I have one that I use doing building searches. As far as locating, works good. Traced all my utilities, and was 9" closer on my gas line than the city locator guy. So far military ammo box at 7 3/4'. I've got a coffee can full of can lids buried 3' and it bangs on it loud & clear. Not too shabby for a dinosaur machine! Also note a lot of you other old farts can attest to some two box detectors that will locate utilities without a direct connection.

Hey if you can get one for a good price, it will be another good addition to the arsenal!

I may be one of them old farts :icon_thumright: Located major pipelines for over thirty years, and I do have a split box to, over the years I have used ten or twelve different locators but I only have these two now, trying to remember the name of the split box I have and it will not come to me (told ya I was getting old). I will have to drag these out of storage and do some checking.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Fisher made the FX3 Ferro probe no need for a direct connection needed.

You are aware that this is only for finding iron objects, right ? Not for conductive / non-iron objects. Right ?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are aware that this is only for finding iron objects, right ? Not for conductive / non-iron objects. Right ?
Yes Tom, like I said, I own one / use one. I read the destruction manual too! :laughing7: Glad you Googled that one up!:tongue3: Did you get a hint from the Ferro Probe part?

Doing cache hunts hopefully you've done enough research to know whether you're looking for objects in a box or loose. Doing a house search they work great locating boxes & conduit & pipes. Also, 4x4 boxes filled and covered over with one of the best drywall patches I've ever seen! (Wish mine looked that nice) An example would be you detect what appears to be a pipe in a wall that starts 1' up from the floor and ends 3' or so further up. Rifle? Yes it was a .22. Thanks for playing!:hello:

Last edited:

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The solid answer is NO
the fact that you called it a utility detector answers your question
How do I know, I spent 30 years selling and repairing utility detectors , pipe, cable, valve, and so on

- just saying
Brady

OP
OP
Tractor Nut

Tractor Nut

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2016
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The solid answer is NO
the fact that you called it a utility detector answers your question
How do I know, I spent 30 years selling and repairing utility detectors , pipe, cable, valve, and so on

- just saying
Brady

Well label me stupid then :tongue3:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's back up a little. I'm / we're not saying a utility locator is a go to primary machine. It's just another tool in the arsenal. I've got an old (1960s) TR that gets a lot of use searching buildings. NO! It's not the newest shiniest machine in the bag but it works great and has a three piece shaft which allows it to put the coil flat on a ceiling and have your arms chest high. Less wear & tear on shoulders trashed from too much swinging for coins. Also, without looking at the meter etc, you can pay more attention to watching out for rotten floorboards and other obstacles. It works for this application, but it'd really suck for other applications. Sometimes simple works where the newest won't, even with more computer power than a laptop and 17 knobs & switches! The most important tool you have in your bag is your skill and knowledge! Your brain works better than any electronics in the box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread